PDA

View Full Version : survey charge

boog
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
OK i have a question need a answer before i do it . If you take time out of your day to measure and survey land to be mowed , mulched etc. and the client doesn't use your services should you bill them for measuring

make a long story came out did a survey went home "had to get help with estimate" drew up a estimate went back to client with estimate he said no he would need my services now should i bill him for that ? it cost me time and about $30 in gas to do so

mattb7771
03-09-2011, 11:30 PM
that sucks but its part of the lawn buis

Steve
03-10-2011, 01:48 AM
How would you bill him for that and also, how would you then be able to compete with others that are offering free estimates?

If you charge for the estimating procedure would you be concerned that you would get less estimates?

Simpkins
03-10-2011, 08:09 AM
It does suck and is part of the business as stated. Obviously it was the price that kept you from the job. Was it that he didn't know how much hiring someone to do this would actually cost and wasn't prepared to pay that or was he getting lower bids?

If it's possible, try explaining why your bid is what it is and offer an "economy" option or something...?

xpertlawnman
03-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Although you can not weed out all tire kickers, I try to weed them out over the phone. If I feel someone is "priceshopping" I tell them I am not the highest guy in town, but I am by far not the lowest either. So if there primary goal is the lowest price, I tell them to call someone else. 90% of the time I can spot a "pita" over the phone so I don't waste my time and gas on driving out and giving them an estimate.

CloseCuts
03-10-2011, 03:41 PM
My father has been in business for over 25yrs. what he does is gives a service charge. If he ends up getting the job he removes the fee. Everbody's time is worth something. You just cant spend an hour or two giving a free estimate. Your charging them for the travel time, gas, and whatever you measure up while your there. The fee can be whatever you need to make per hour. I normally charge $45. The time of you figuring up the job is the estimate and thats free. Some people wont like it but the normal ones understand and expect it.

Steve
03-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I try to weed them out over the phone. If I feel someone is "priceshopping" I tell them I am not the highest guy in town, but I am by far not the lowest either. So if there primary goal is the lowest price, I tell them to call someone else. 90% of the time I can spot a "pita" over the phone so I don't waste my time and gas on driving out and giving them an estimate.

What is your advice on how to look out for such problem customers? How do you know when to weed them out?

My father has been in business for over 25yrs. what he does is gives a service charge. If he ends up getting the job he removes the fee

Does this apply to services like lawn care? So if a customer wanted a lawn care bid and it took 30 minutes to get to the clients house, look it over, and bid on it, would he charge them for 30 minutes of work?

How do you go about telling the customer to prepare for this and how do they respond if they can get other estimates for free?