PDA

View Full Version : Carb on 2cycle continues to pull gas after off

Gls
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a 240 sst snapper commercial trimmer that was given to me. It had been left outside for a decade it seems. I cleaned it up. Unfroze the throttle cable with pb blast and wd40. I finally got it to fire after a few days. It spoked like a chimney for 20-30 seconds but ended up reaching full throttle. I let it warm all the way up. Everything functioned great. I turned it off and when I came back; it had pulled the remainder of the gas, 1/6 tank, into the carb shock leaked out through the filter. I did custom cut a sponge to act as the dry rotted filter I cleaned out. This may be the source of the vacuum, idk.

I just found out I have this problem on an echo hc150 hedge trimmer I just rebuilt the carb on. Its like new but the homeowner stored it with gas in it so it was really gunked up. Stripped it down to the block(carb) and let it sit in carb cleaner overnight. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner(canned) and reassembled. It ran like a champ. I have ordered a gasket set with rebuild kit and new throttle o-ring. I know everything went back together correctly. I've taken it apart and put it back together via the parts diagram. I will have the new parts at the end of the week.

I am not a small engine mechanic but have done automotive work for years. I guess I know enough to get me in trouble. I figured this is a simple problem on the hc150 but the snapper manual/parts diagram is for a mechanical engineer but the thing is built like a tank and looks cool as hell. It has blades on it and is as old school as they come so I would like to get it fixed if it's simple, as parts are non existent to more money than a new trimmer would cost.
Thanks for any and all imput.
I can post links to online manuals if it will help.

wandfsmall
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
from what I can see parts availability is not bad just expensive. I could sell you a brand new redmax high torq trimmer for less then the carburetor for that snapper...

Gls
03-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a 240 sst snapper... is as old school as they come so I would like to get it fixed if it's simple, as parts are non existent to more money than a new trimmer would cost.

Thank you, but I realize this.

CheapNEasy
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
As far as the leaking issue, check the needle valve and seats.

You should be able to only blow through the fuel line, try sucking back through it like a straw... if you get any suction, then something isnt seating properly.

Just a quick thought for ya.

Gls
03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks. I will check it first thing tomorrow when I get home. I figure it had something to do with the needle valve, that's why I ordered the repair kit instead of only a gasket kit. It was only $13. Comes with needle valve, spring, retainer and clip as well as all gaskets. I'm already tasting gas just thinking about your test... It's been a while lol.

CheapNEasy
03-09-2011, 10:04 PM
The needle valve and seat takes a silent beating that most people over look... That my best guess for ya, let me know either way.

SuperiorPower
03-12-2011, 09:38 PM
from what I can see parts availability is not bad just expensive. I could sell you a brand new redmax high torq trimmer for less then the carburetor for that snapper...

Ditto.

Old equipment means higher prices. Typically, unless it has sentimental value, buy new.

I will have to say, you may be able to get it going with a few new parts, but the big thing to remember is these small carbs are delicate components. Small adjustments mean big changes. If the EPA finds you making mistakes that affect emissions, expect to pay. BIG TIME. To the tune of THOUSANDS of $ PER VIOLATION.

Good luck

wandfsmall
03-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Ditto.

Old equipment means higher prices. Typically, unless it has sentimental value, buy new.

I will have to say, you may be able to get it going with a few new parts, but the big thing to remember is these small carbs are delicate components. Small adjustments mean big changes. If the EPA finds you making mistakes that affect emissions, expect to pay. BIG TIME. To the tune of THOUSANDS of $ PER VIOLATION.

Good luck

from what I understand it is almost against the law to work on a carb inless you have been to school:mad: thats why I do not sell tools to adjust a carb. I sell parts but I am not getting caught in that one. $10,000 per violation for a $12 tool sale is not worth it.

SuperiorPower
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
from what I understand it is almost against the law to work on a carb inless you have been to school:mad: thats why I do not sell tools to adjust a carb. I sell parts but I am not getting caught in that one. $10,000 per violation for a $12 tool sale is not worth it.

Or give carb instructions.....

wandfsmall
03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Or give carb instructions.....

thats why I do not post them here, wish I could help but I do not understand the law enough to risk it. I still feel a little safe as that one guy on ebay with the dodge truck seems to be making a living selling carb tools:) I am sure they will get him first:D

Steve
03-14-2011, 03:37 AM
What kind of special tools are needed? Can't most of this be worked on with small screw drivers?

Any updates as to how the project is coming along?

wandfsmall
03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
What kind of special tools are needed? Can't most of this be worked on with small screw drivers?

Any updates as to how the project is coming along?

the older ones could but most newer carbs have either limiter caps or special screw drivers like the pacman, or splined setup so that you need special tools to mess with them. It is also a $10,000 dollar fine and jail time if you do it:eek: good news is they are only doing this to shops in California right now so most of the country is safe. Bad news is that with states broke and the guy turning you in getting part of the fine who knows if they could start.

I wish it was different but I can not post how to set a carb on here, not worth the risk the way the law is. I also do not sell the tools as they seem to be going after the shops not the consumers.

Gls
03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I apologize for the delay on results. Parts tree sent me an email this weekend; they have me back ordered. Ordered the parts 7 business days ago so I figured the parts would be here by now. Not to happy, they should tell you they don't have "x" or state under it that it has to be acquired through another company. They are going to loose my future business because they rely on an incompetent supplier or a lazy website. Too many people out there to take your money and tell me 7 days later that, "we would be happy to send the rest of your items while we wait on the rest of the order for an additional shipping charge". The shipping costs are already as much as the parts. They fit in a fking envelope!

The carb is already broken down and i did not see the point in putting it back together just to break it down and do it again. I may go ahead and put it back together today to go ahead and test. I will post as soon I find out.

Ps. Thanks for the general knowledge on the wear of certain parts. I had no idea how strict the control of info was on certain topics. I apologize for asking such specific questions. I know now.
Are there any general websites on such small engine issues that would be better to draw info from in the future.... Thanks again!

wandfsmall
03-14-2011, 11:20 AM
sorry this was not in any way aimed at you for asking any questions it was 2 dealers that know each other hijacking your thread. I will tell you when I can not answer your question for epa rules. I did not post much info as I thought you already had the breakdown and I kinda figure from the sound of things you will likely have to replace the carb from it sitting too long.

Steve
03-16-2011, 02:23 AM
The carb is already broken down and i did not see the point in putting it back together just to break it down and do it again. I may go ahead and put it back together today to go ahead and test. I will post as soon I find out.

Can you show us some pictures of what you are doing?

most newer carbs have either limiter caps or special screw drivers like the pacman, or splined setup so that you need special tools to mess with them.

It's amazing that all these special tools (http://www.mowers4u.com/homelite-tools-c-8_9.html) are made. Kind of a shame too if you have to take it apart due to mechanical failure. I did a search and there are plenty of places that sell such tools. Tuning carbs has always seemed to be an artform. But I guess if you keep playing with the settings, you will ultimately get it working the way you want it.

Gls
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Thank you for all the info.

cheapneasy, it was cheap and fairly easy, Ty!

I have not run it until it's hot to check the leak again but it is running smoother than ever. Also comes up to idle much quicker on cold starts. Gas is not draining through the carb when off.
The repair kit seems to have fixed it. Replaced gaskets, needle valve and seated the needle valve. I had to slightly bend the ears up on the nv retainer.

I'm going to just buy a new trimmer. I have a local retired small engine mechanic I'm going to give the snapper to. I old him to fix it if he can but not put any money into it. I might just let him keep it.

Thanks to all again, sorry for the delay but I'm blaming this one on PARTSTREE.com i do NOT recommend using them. Extremely poor customer service until I emailed with notice of contest from my credit card company.

wandfsmall
03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Can you show us some pictures of what you are doing?

It's amazing that all these special tools (http://www.mowers4u.com/homelite-tools-c-8_9.html) are made. Kind of a shame too if you have to take it apart due to mechanical failure. I did a search and there are plenty of places that sell such tools. Tuning carbs has always seemed to be an artform. But I guess if you keep playing with the settings, you will ultimately get it working the way you want it.

you should rarely have to tune a carburetor most of the time you just have to take it apart and clean it. Tuning it without a tac could shorten the life of the unit as it may sound great but be running to lean.

wandfsmall
03-31-2011, 09:23 AM
Thank you for all the info.

cheapneasy, it was cheap and fairly easy, Ty!

I have not run it until it's hot to check the leak again but it is running smoother than ever. Also comes up to idle much quicker on cold starts. Gas is not draining through the carb when off.
The repair kit seems to have fixed it. Replaced gaskets, needle valve and seated the needle valve. I had to slightly bend the ears up on the nv retainer.

I'm going to just buy a new trimmer. I have a local retired small engine mechanic I'm going to give the snapper to. I old him to fix it if he can but not put any money into it. I might just let him keep it.

Thanks to all again, sorry for the delay but I'm blaming this one on PARTSTREE.com i do NOT recommend using them. Extremely poor customer service until I emailed with notice of contest from my credit card company.

Sorry about your experiences with partstree I can assure you not every place is that way. We send an email out if it will take a while to get the part and offer our customers a chance to cancel the order.