PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Lettering and Graphics

Hedgemaster
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm ready to have some vinyl graphics/lettering done on my truck.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/104_5922.jpg

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/IntegrityLawnCare/Lawn%20Care/Equipment/5%20by%208%20Trailer%20Refinished/104_5870.jpg

Has anyone purchased from an "online" source?
Anyone you recommend, or have had bad experiences with?

At this time I only want to place info on the glass (back and both sides of the cap - maybe across the top of the windshield too).

I was thinking of having the back done by a local shop, using the full overlay type of vinyl that is "see thru", but the sides can be simple vinyl "lettering" and I thought I may be able to save some money by purchasing online and applying the side window lettering myself.

I haven't decided on a color for the sides if I just go with one color. It would be cool if the paint color could be matched, but I doubt that's going to happen. "White" shows up well on dark tint, but it can look "harsh", and honestly I think it will cheapen the look of my truck.

Does anyone have an opinion on the "chrome" lettering?

I run chrome wheels in the summer, and was thinking that chrome vinyl graphics on the side windows might look good.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/pepwalker/Temporary/01Silverado1.jpg

What'cha think? :confused:

jymie
03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you thought about going with door magnets for the painted parts of the doors? Maybe lettering on the cap windows portion of the vehicle?

Hedgemaster
03-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't really want to do magnetic signs. Since this is my daily driver, I guess it would be nice that I could take them off when I don't want them on there, but I'm pretty fussy about my paint, and the thought of a magnet rubbing against it sends shivers up my spine.

A good suggestion, but I figured I'd explain why I don't want to go that route at the moment.

jymie
03-08-2011, 06:56 AM
For what it's worth, the magnets I use stay in one spot, in two years I see no damage to my paint at all. I once used the back window of a truck to advertise a website I once had with vinyl lettering. My only concern is does vinyl lettering come off the paint easily if you were to trade the truck in or need to sell the truck? On window surfaces a razor blade works but the paint surfaces may be different? Overtime, the vinyl lettering began to lose its attachment to my truck from weather and started looking like crap.

Hedgemaster
03-08-2011, 04:59 PM
:confused:

60 views and nobody has anything to say?

LOL, getting an opinion on this forum is like pulling teeth!
If I posted this on another forum I moderate, there would be ten pages of comments, suggestions, and several small fights would have started over something completely unrelated, resulting in temporary bans! Hahaha!

Here are my two main questions again:

1. Has anyone purchased (vinyl graphics) from an "online" source?

2. Does anyone have an opinion on the "chrome" lettering? (on dark tint window)

950thomas
03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I have final on all my trucks it comes off easy with a heat gun or blower dryer I think vinal looks more professional than magnets but that's my opinion

cleancutlawncare5382
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
If you go vinyl donít go with the cheapest offer. I had a tattoo shop do my truck last year, Figured vinyl was vinyl. ( not so ).

I park the truck in the same place everyday and the sun hits the same side. My once forest green logo is now light blue. Just a word to the wise.

Fisher
03-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I am also curious about ordering my lettering online. Will be doing one truck for now and possibly wrapping another later would like it to match.

My opinion on the chrome is (from what I've seen here) that it looks pretty nice .... as long as the lighting is right. I have trouble reading it sometimes when the sun is hitting it just right

Steve
03-08-2011, 08:33 PM
2. Does anyone have an opinion on the "chrome" lettering? (on dark tint window)

I'd probably go with white. I think the white would stand out better on your windows.

Have you considered doing a test layout with a graphic program first to see how it would all look on your truck before you order?

Hedgemaster
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I'd probably go with white. I think the white would stand out better on your windows.

Have you considered doing a test layout with a graphic program first to see how it would all look on your truck before you order?

Yes, I took some front, side, and rear view photos so I can work up some designs on the computer before I do the final layout.
Most "colors" will be easily simulated, but "chrome" would be hard to mock up.

I still need to take exact window measurements to set the layout up to scale.
It may prove challenging, as I have to work around that "strip" where the back third of the side glass is hinged. (they crank open from the inside)

Steve
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I think chrome lettering is tough to see. It reflects based on the light available. It also is not necessarily the best contrast to the background color it is placed on.

The great the contrast of the lettering to the background color, the more visible it will be for the reader.

I look forwards to seeing some of the designs you come up with. This should be really fun for you to put together.

Hedgemaster
03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I've scrapped the "chrome" idea. I think it would look good, but not necessarily be the best "visually" from a distance.

I've been messing around with ideas today and it's a lot more challenging than I had anticipated. That split window is making my life difficult. Gotta work the design around it, and it's causing me all sorts of grief.

I have a few that I'm mostly pleased with, but I may just stop by a sign shop to see if they have any suggestions. I may be a graphic designer, but they are pros at vehicle signage - no shame in letting the pros give me some pointers.

CanadayLandscaping
03-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I used doityourselflettering.com I have dealt with them a couple times, and the price was the best that I could find. You can send them a image file if you have a logo, and the will quote you a price. I haven't done this yet, but I have just finished the lettering on my Ram, I will post pictures later. But they are all about customer satisfaction. Just my 2 cents...

WilliamsLawn
03-12-2011, 01:13 AM
My family has been in Landscaping for 40 plus years and came upon this website and thought it would be fun. I have branched out from landscaping cause after 20 plus years on a mower I was getting bored. For the past 7 years I have been a sign writer. I do all kinds of logo designs and lettering for vehicles. I will post pics of my brother's landscaping truck and logo later. As for your questions and concerns. I would recommend using a nice silver or silver metallic for the windows if you are just going to do cut vinyl. If you want more pop I would recommend doing a full color perferated print on the windows ( like the American flags and camo prints in the back windows of trucks)

As for your chrome vinyl idea, I try to talk all of my customers out of it if possible. If the edges are not properly sealed with a sealing agent after about 6 months to a year they start to turn white and will shortly start to fall off. Hope this helps.

Steve
03-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I will post pics of my brother's landscaping truck and logo later.

I'd love to see some of them. Do you have all the equipment needed to make signs? Could you sell your services to members on here too?

WilliamsLawn
03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Here are some of the Lawn Care logos I have done around here. I would be glad to offer my services to members here. Yes I have all of the equipment needed to produce any and all signs. I even offer business card and printing services. I do embroidery, and also offer some shirts.

Steve
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM
You do excellent work!

Do you have any pictures of the vehicles you have worked on? I would love to see them as well.

Big Lebowski
03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I am in need of a profesional logo. Any takers? Reply privately with pricing etc.

Big