PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Wheel

Shark1611
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a measuring wheel and wanted to know if anyone out there uses one to bid lawn mowing jobs? I have not used it yet because I have no clue to how one would come up with a sq. foot price. I know the wheel will not take into fact of trees, slops, etc. but I could work around that.

My wife who is my book keeper feels that it would cuase us to be more consistent in that footage does not lie.

jymie
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I use a wheel when I am measuring to do mulch jobs. When it comes to quoting for mowing jobs, I just do a visual and say this will take me so long so $$ is what I will charge. I just get a feel for what I should charge.

Steve
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I have a measuring wheel and wanted to know if anyone out there uses one to bid lawn mowing jobs? I have not used it yet because I have no clue to how one would come up with a sq. foot price.

First off, you need to know your overhead costs. How much do you need to make per hour.

That will allow you to come up with a minimum figure you will need to charge just to show up to a persons house. From there you will have to charge an additional fee based on the sq ft.

You need to consider, how long such a sq. ft property will take you to service, based on your equipment.

Then you add these two figures up and you will have a fee that will allow you to profit evenly, whether you are mowing a large lawn or a small one. your profit should be proportional to the amount of time you are spending on each property.

You should experiment with the online lawn care business calculators (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299) here and you will start to see how important it is to know the size of the property and how that equates to time spent servicing it.

Does that help?