PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used work truck

specialwagnerbr
03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone i'm new here, and i'm planning to buy a used truck to start doing some lawns on the side, what truck would you guys recomend me,:confused: whats the best years for a used truck, what did you guys start with, how long did it take for a upgrade?:cool:

bruces
03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
how much do you want to spend ?what equipment do you need it to haul ?how many guys in your crew ?are you going to plow snow ? can you fix it yourself,or are you paying for somebody else to do it for you?

jklawncare
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Im looking into this as well
I personally am leaning towards an 08 chevy silverado quad

ill be hauling fairly light..but they are strong trucks, and they turn heads.
Personally i think you want an eye appealing truck becasue it will draw more attention to your company

it dosnt have to be new..just dont advertise on a rust bucket. thats my personal opinion. Although..i do dislike when someone is fly by night and have a plain truck without any recognition of there company.

wether its magnets or even something on the trailer the name and number should always be there.

To help answer your question though..itd be better to know what your hauling, your crew, plowing, things like that..just like bruces said

specialwagnerbr
03-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Well for now it would just be myself a 52'' scag, a back pac blower, a trimmer and maybe 1 helper, like i said it will be "on the side" i have a full time job now, there will be no hauling, i will carry everything i need on the bed, i was considering buying a Crew cab bcz i have 1yr old child, just in case she needs to ride with me when my wife is out working.taking to babysitting, daycare, whatever. which i know take a lil space, i was looking to spend around 3k, and eventually i will be plowing the accounts.

Thanks in advance!

jklawncare
03-05-2011, 11:39 PM
It will cost more to find a quad than an extended. So keep that in mind. If you want a quad you might have to downgrade a couple years..plus itll be harder to find a quad over an extended.

if you wont be doing alot of hauling you wont be needing anything heavy duty really. but if you plan on plowing itll help..

id say..if you dotn plow right away..save up some money over the seasons and wait to get a better plowing truck.

but for your purposes now your looking at a 1500 or 150
depending on the maker..

something lighter duty..
you can get some pretty cheap F250s in there 90s and i know they are strong trucks

you dont have alot of room to play with for 3k.. trucks have a much higher resale than cars do..

check out craigslist in your area..itll help you decide alot mroe

specialwagnerbr
03-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks Jk! I meant a extended when i said crew cab, so i was thinking in getting a 95 up to 99 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.9 motor, I dont know:confused:, or Chevy 1500 around same age, what do you think?
Do you guys know anybody who own any of those? what do they say?, whats is the best years of this trucks?

Hedgemaster
03-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Ack! He said the "D" word!

:p

Even if 50 guys tell you to buy a Dodge (Ack! I said it too!), I'll never own one again. Chevy man all the way.

Really though, without knowing more, it doesn't do much good to tell you anything. Personally, with the price of gas, I'd go with the smallest vehicle you can comfortably work with. I know a guy who uses a small foreign SUV that doubles as a family car after work - he tows a 5x8 trailer with it.

I'm using my 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab because that's what I've been driving since 2001 (purchased to haul a camping trailer), and since I'm just starting out, I don't have money to buy anything else.

For what I'm doing, I think it's overkill (especially the 6-way power, heated, leather bucket seats :D ), but everyone's situation is different.

specialwagnerbr
03-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks hedgemaster! i will consider buying a chevy instead a Dodge, i've been looking around, and i notice that the chevy's lil are harder to find than a dodge, i see dodge's everywhere i look.
It looks like to me that Everyone who owns a 90's Dodge wants to get rid of it.:( i dont want to buy a 90's Ford either bcz I had a Bad experience with it in the past.

jklawncare
03-06-2011, 05:29 AM
I agree with hedgemaster
stay away from dodge of possible in my opinion

they may be heavy trucks..but with the things taht can go wrong and the cost it is to fix them..its not worth the trouble..

also
idk what they did
but dodge does horrible paint work..
its ALWAYS rusting out..almost every ram i see is rusted out..
even the newer ones from 02-05 are starting to show some rust..

bruces
03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I would buy the chevy over the dodge at this point,for no other reason than the dodge are very thirsty at the pumps and gas prices are expected to skyrocket .I would think what your looking at is going to be fairly easy to find for the money your willing to spend ,I personally hate extended cabs unless you get the long box [which then becomes a parking issue ] but a reg cab doesnt handle a baby seat well .I like the 88-99 "classic" style truck [they made the old style and new style trucks at the same time for about a year ],over the newer model 99 up ones,it just seems like the newer ones are more expensive to repair and broken more often .I am currently driving a 98 classic with a 350 vortec ,its very very good on gas ,pulls awesome,has about 120,000 miles on it ,and I bought it in very very nice shape for $500.00 this past September .$3000.00 will buy a nice truck today with people dumping them due to gas prices .

MountainViewGreenskeeper
03-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Lol I wonder why everyone hates on Dodge so much. Haven't had mine long but its been great. I will say it is a bit of a gas hog(8.0L) and paint is a known issue. But I'm lucky I'm not back east rust not the same issue here.

I would say the opposite though of everyone else it seems: stay away from chevy/gmc. Ford was my first choice but found my Dodge on ebay for 3K under blue book :). Will say I had to replace the radiator($150) and new tires cause I wanted load range E tires(brother bought old tires so that helped).

With so little money to work with I would try looking for the 3/4 tons they seem to be priced same or cheaper then the half tons. Witch might be better for you anyways wanting to plow with it.

Good luck with what ever you buy.

Hedgemaster
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Lol I wonder why everyone hates on Dodge so much. Haven't had mine long but its been great. I will say it is a bit of a gas hog(8.0L) and paint is a known issue. But I'm lucky I'm not back east rust not the same issue here.

I would say the opposite though of everyone else it seems: stay away from chevy/gmc. Ford was my first choice but found my Dodge on ebay for 3K under blue book :). Will say I had to replace the radiator($150) and new tires cause I wanted load range E tires(brother bought old tires so that helped).

With so little money to work with I would try looking for the 3/4 tons they seem to be priced same or cheaper then the half tons. Witch might be better for you anyways wanting to plow with it.

Good luck with what ever you buy.

Bold explains your question.

:D

Hey Dodge guys, don't get all bent out of shape - I'm gonna bust on Dodge every chance I get. Mostly because of my firsthand experience with a POS Dakota and secondly because it gets you guys all riled up.
:p