PDA

View Full Version : new member and lawn business owner

jkcole
02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
hello everyone! im new to the site and the business. my business name is Immaculate Lawns LLC. im insured and legal from head to toe as far as i know :). just wanted to say hi in the intro section. i will be scrolling the site in the back ground first then if some questions aren't answered i will post. im sure most are answered :) wondering if there are any lake charles louisiana mowers here? or any close.. ok ty everyone

Steve
02-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

jkcole
02-28-2011, 03:34 AM
ty.. honestly i have been wanting to be in business for myself for a long time (im only 29 lol) but this seemed like an easier start than most other business and i like working outdoors. plus i enjoy mowing my own lawn so i figured y not....but i want this to be a gateway to another business and maybe another...:):)

Steve
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
What other business were you considering and what else might you like to get involved with, in the future?

950thomas
03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
The start up of a lawn biz might be low but it is expensive to grow

jrod14
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Thats and 50/50...It just depends what you want to get out of your business. You just gotta make some good contacts and do good work, advertise and keep studying. i know how tiring it can get sometimes but think of Joe Dimaggio's quote "I go hard every day just in case there's one person in the stands who hasn't seen me play." Its true. I have been in that situation and done yards where i just want to "finish" up. From my experiences...your best business card is the quality of work you do. Charge accordingly. Learn from your mistakes and just be an honest person. I dont sweat the small things and if its outta my control...its outta my control. Dont take more than you can handle and if you say your gonna do a job...live up to it. For me, my lawn business is a chance to give my customers what i want from a service provider...Great Service, Quality Work and Reasonable Prices. Think of smart ways to advertise. Flyers, Door hangers, etc. Decide how you want your company to look. Legit, Cheap, Expensive or Just Good. Mix it up with all of them. This forum will help you in many more ways than you think just by getting involved and asking questions. So far from what i have read on posts...Everyone seems like good company owners and we all seem to learn from eachother. You could pay hundreds of dollars for business advice or you can come here and just be a good lawn business buddy!! haha! Take care!

Steve
03-02-2011, 07:26 PM
i know how tiring it can get sometimes but think of Joe Dimaggio's quote "I go hard every day just in case there's one person in the stands who hasn't seen me play." Its true. I have been in that situation and done yards where i just want to "finish" up. From my experiences...your best business card is the quality of work you do.

Do you find there is a way to prevent this from happening?

Also, how best should one know when they are doing this and deal with it so they don't mess things up?

jrod14
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Do you find there is a way to prevent this from happening?

Also, how best should one know when they are doing this and deal with it so they don't mess things up?

Well...I think it starts by not knowing the market or the customer. i have had yards that i charge $30 on and then realize maybe i should have charged $35 to $40. Usually if they are good customers...i dont mind. if they pay on time and dont give you any hassle then its a win win either way. you may be out $5 to $10 but then maybe the following season...you can up it. so i guess it just really depends on the customer more than the pay. I had this one guy with an acre property that i would charge $100 bi-weekly. he was a good guy but he always complained about his jasmine looking good and trimmed. i would tell him that if i keep trimming it that it would burn in this south texas heat. He didnt care...his wife wanted it trimmed. so....i trimmed it pretty often and what happened??? it died out...plus the guy never watered his lawn. He wanted a well manicured lawn but didnt really want to pay any extras. i couldnt stand cutting his yard and before long...he realized that it was gettin on my nerves. then...yeah...theres more....he rescued a little dog. needless to say he wanted me to only go to his house after 5pm so he can let the dog in. i explained that i have a business to run but i did his request...but not for long. i let him go. he was costing me money with paying a worker, changing my scheduling, etc, etc. plus...i was stressing with this guys house. it was better for me to just let it go and try to get a better customer and a better account. i dont need customers like that. the biggest thing i hate about the lawn business is that a good percentage of people look down at you and expect you to do alot for a little. i already offer a lot for a little..Stay with the good customers, do a good job. good residential customers will remain faithful and bad one will screw you in the end!

Steve
03-06-2011, 03:00 AM
i would tell him that if i keep trimming it that it would burn in this south texas heat. He didnt care...his wife wanted it trimmed. so....i trimmed it pretty often and what happened??? it died out..

Do you feel he blamed you for this happening even though you told him it would? Is there anyway to avoid performing certain services for customers if you think it will cause more harm than good?

the biggest thing i hate about the lawn business is that a good percentage of people look down at you and expect you to do alot for a little. i already offer a lot for a little..Stay with the good customers, do a good job. good residential customers will remain faithful and bad one will screw you in the end!

Ultimately, do you feel that is a sign then that the customer is going to be a bad customer? If you start getting the feeling they are looking down on you, do other bad behavioral patterns soon follow?

jrod14
03-06-2011, 03:44 AM
Do you feel he blamed you for this happening even though you told him it would? Is there anyway to avoid performing certain services for customers if you think it will cause more harm than good?

i dont think he blamed me. i just think he felt like since im paying you. i want it done. he was just scared of his wife! haha!

Ultimately, do you feel that is a sign then that the customer is going to be a bad customer? If you start getting the feeling they are looking down on you, do other bad behavioral patterns soon follow?

im dont really mean the customers. i mean some people in general. if a cusotomer is calling you then they cant handle the work, dont have time or just dont want to do it...you cant really tell if your gonna have a bad customer. you just have to find out. i have had customers try to lowball me or just try to give thier 2 cents that end up being really good. i think bottom line is that...you cant let people push you around. you dont have to be an *** back but just be tactful. let them know the deal....if they agree...great...if they dont...theres other customers around.