PDA

View Full Version : Dog Gone Weeds!

Shark1611
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Somebody Help me!

I put down premergent on some of my lawn customers back in October and now see more weeds coming up! (clover, dandelion, milk weed, dollar weed, crab grass, etc.) I know that one application will not take care of all the weeds but there are so many to on the shelf today. What in the world can I use so my customers will start seeing these dog gone weeds start to go away.

One even has stickers! I just picked this lawn up late last year so they know it will take some while to get it back in shape.

Is weed and feed a joke or is there one better than the other?

Thank you for any help you might be able to give me.

Growing Green
02-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Hi Shark,

I use corn gluten, but a little late to put it out here in TX. It will still do ok, but it only gets rid of the seeds that haven't started yet. Won't get rid of the fun TX weeds.

Hang in there,
Matt

LawnMoore
02-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I know it sucks, but pulling them, is a good way to build a relationship with your new client ;)

Then get some fertilizer on the lawn maybe and the grass will over take the weeds, if not then it seems there is more weeds than grass, If so you/they may need a couple seasons to repair this without resoding or hydroturfing..

Remember we cant waive a magic wand and get our customers instant healthy turf :p

Shark1611
02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Thank you guys. Looks like I'm doing the right stuff. Will keep working away at it then. Picking up more accounts and trying not to knee jerk.

Steve
02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Picking up more accounts and trying not to knee jerk.

Have you found yourself having that knee jerk reaction to other issues while running your business?

Shark1611
02-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Have you found yourself having that knee jerk reaction to other issues while running your business?

No I just have so much going on while working a full time job. I got to step back and relax.

swstout
02-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Most of the broad leaf weeds prefer a soil pH above 7.0. The only turf with an ideal pH over 7.0 is St. Augustine. I use liquid sulfur to get the soil pH at about 6.5 and most weeds are controlled. The exception is Centipede; for centipede, I shoot for 5.9.

Steve

Shark1611
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Most of the broad leaf weeds prefer a soil pH above 7.0. The only turf with an ideal pH over 7.0 is St. Augustine. I use liquid sulfur to get the soil pH at about 6.5 and most weeds are controlled. The exception is Centipede; for centipede, I shoot for 5.9.

Steve

Thank you Steve I did not know this. Dollar weed is a huge issue on the St. Augustine yards here.