PDA

View Full Version : Rising Gas Prices

CanadayLandscaping
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
As I am sure that everyone knows, gas is going through the roof, with really no sign of slowing down.

As many of you know, by trade I come from the trucking industry. There are few things that cross the span between that industry, and lawn care. Even though I am trying to give this lawn care business a strong chance, I am struggling even getting off the ground. I try to sit back and look at what makes me successful in the trucking world, or tactics truckers use and see if they can be used in lawn care. Many things like equipment operation, maintenance, routing, having a good cb handle....LOL.

Anyway, many, if not most trucking based companies have to deal with the rising fuel cost just like we do in this business. Most if not all companies now a days, charge a straight up fuel surcharge. It usually isn't much, but it's added to each and every "stop" their truck makes, regardless of whether its a large load or a small load. It may be called a fuel surcharge on the bill of lading, or it may be called and "environmental fee" and so on. Has anyone started that in their business? For instance, my company I currently drive a truck for charges a $6.00 "environmental fee" for each stop I make. I can make upwards of 25-35 stops a day.

Any thoughts?

Hedgemaster
02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
As a consumer, I'd rather see a bill that just says "Mowing/trimming/edging $38", than see the following...

Mowing/trimming/edging $35
Environmental fee $3
Total: $38

:confused: WHAT? What the heck is THIS fee?!!!

Back a year or so ago when the gas prices jumped, a lot of pizza shops started adding a $1 fee for delivery. I don't know what effect that had, if any, but personally, I stopped having pizza delivered. Screw THAT. I'm not paying extra on top of what I'm expected to tip the driver. If they had just upped their prices by .25 I would have never noticed, and they would have probably made even more profit.

All that said, I'm just starting out, so I don't have to worry about telling "regulars" that I need to increase their bill as the result of the rising price of fuel.

roysyardandhaul
02-25-2011, 02:16 AM
I agree with the Hedgemaster. I just include the gas charge (that just increased) with my total bid. As for my regular customers I just sent out a letter that their monthly price is going up. But here is a cool little closing tool. If you get a one time job near one of your accounts or a special job at one of your accounts that can be done on their regular day you can waive the fuel charge and make sure it stands out in your bid. Works like a charm.

Steve
02-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Roy,

Can you show us an example of a letter that would be helpful in such a situation?

But here is a cool little closing tool. If you get a one time job near one of your accounts or a special job at one of your accounts that can be done on their regular day you can waive the fuel charge and make sure it stands out in your bid. Works like a charm.

Is this something you would ask of the customer to help refer you work or is this something you handle behind the scenes?

Growing Green
02-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I just filled up my truck at $3.19 a gallon. What is the price in your area?

Matt

DillonB92
02-25-2011, 10:59 PM
My mom has been telling me i need to add atleast $5 to all yards. This i am not sure about. Yes i know its the cost of running business but at this point im afraid i'll loose customers. I can't really afford to loose any more. Spring Break is coming up and i plan on passing out flyers then. I hope i can get a few more yards. Should i charge a flat rate or a rate of how far they are from my house?
I filled up For $2.95 a on tuesday. Today gas is $3.19

picframer
02-26-2011, 03:28 AM
I just filled up my truck at $3.19 a gallon. What is the price in your area?

Matt

Gas is Set here every Thursday, regulated by the Province, $4.80 a gallon....going to be one tough summer as I don't see it coming down, economy has not recovered and this will slow it big time. Transportation fees will have to go up in my case as the equipment we haul really drinks the fuel.

calebmoss
02-26-2011, 10:37 AM
what about a bulk storage tank? would there be a price decrease buying it in bulk and having it delivered?

Also if you have a kroger with the gas pumps buy your grocheries there you get points on your kroger card and there usually cheaper

My dad paid yesterday 3.18 a gallon at a diffrent gas station
lastnite i went to kroger and paid 2.99 using the kroger card and debit banking card.

950thomas
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM
I have fuel tanks u do get a discount on fuel when u buy 500 gallons or more at a time the bigger your tank the better the deal

kdvandco
02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
at the ez mart! lol. thank God I live in small town usa, even with our sister city, My total drive radius is about 15 miles.

but I'm also lucky in the sense that its not really that small we have about 25k ppl here and 12 min down HW287 another 30k so theres plenty of work.

jklawncare
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Im in a small town in indiana
here its 3.49 per gallon
shot through the roof

i heard it was because some country that sold to european countrys stopped trading, but they are expected to start again soon.

Honestly i never looked into it but thats what my enviro science teacher told the class..take that information as you wish..maybe someone can look into it