PDA

View Full Version : heavily tattooed

boog
02-22-2011, 11:06 PM
OK I'm starting a lawn care business well i started pushing snow back in Nov. any way i am 6 ft 1 250lbs and heavily tattooed ,hands, neck you name it bout the only thing that isn't inkd is my face :eek: so my point is how do i go about getting new customers I'm afraid to walk up to some old Lady's door to hand out a flyer she will have a heart attack or shoot me so what do you suggest

Growing Green
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
LOL That is hilarious! Come to Austin. You will fit in perfectly. :-)

Wear some pants with a nice long sleeve shirt with your logo on it. That should get the job done.

Matt

adforester
02-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I'd start by maybe wearing some long sleeve shirts with a collar and long pants, no logger boots, keep it honest and non intimidating looking. I'm sure u already thought of that, so maybe it would help if your truck and clothing all said your business name on it.

- I'd say see how it works out - I can't imagine how you would get jobs with full body ink but could work out, don't see how it could work for you but could work out..
Word of mouth is going to be your best bet

Maybe you could have someone put out your flyers for you?

I wouldn't want a full ink'd landscaper walking up to my doorstep, but i'm REALLY nervous about that sorta stuff
I'm sure you would get work but may be slow to start

elrascal
02-23-2011, 12:31 AM
This is a very difficult question. I think it will be a problem when it comes to your initial contact with the client. Once you have built up a relationship it shouldn't be a problem. As other members have mentioned long clothing would help especially on your first visit.

I'm not sure if this next idea will work but it is worth giving it a go. The key thing here is that you should test your results to see what happens. Try bringing up the fact that you are inked in your fliers. It might build a re*****city (LOL I'm not sure why this word is being censored by the forum.. it is ment to say r.e.c.i.p.r.o.c.i.t.y,) between you and your clients. Have a photo of you showing of your tat's and try a slogn like "I'm covered in ink but sweeter than a fruit drink."
Or if you want more ideas of things that rhyme with ink then check this page and see what you can come up with
http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=ink&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y

Really put a lot of energy in to building that relationship. You are not there to mow their lawn. You are there to create an enjoyable experience for the client. Learn their names, their children's names, their dogs names and any thing else that will build trust.

I hope this helps you in any way. Let us know how you get on. We would love to here from you.

bruces
02-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I really dont think a church suit and a bible will help you ,any chance you can find yourself an un-inked individual to help with the scary grannies ?

950thomas
02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I have a guy that works for me that is tattooed all over it has never been a problem he sells jobs just fine it all about personality

Steve
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
This is a great topic. Great responses too.

Do you have a preference on which way you would like to play it? Would you like to utilize the tattoo's in your marketing and present it in a way that customers would welcome it or do you want to camouflage it and try to work around it?

SpokaneSRC
02-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I think you can be scary without tattoos, and just because you have a lot of tattoos doesn't make you scary. I agree with 950thomas, it's about personality. I have tats on my neck (wife and kid's names), but I can get along with almost anyone, IMO. Plus, so many people have tattoos these days, it may not even become an issue. Just provide the best customer service you can and do quality work and you should be fine.

CHEESE2009
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0MfXB7tjf8mL-IaQ_Ry0V6WecdQNN4IbHW8AlfWIDvfruEewg&t=1

problem solved

wandfsmall
02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0MfXB7tjf8mL-IaQ_Ry0V6WecdQNN4IbHW8AlfWIDvfruEewg&t=1

problem solved

I agree more frightening then the tattoo I would want to get rid of a guy dressed like that selling lawn care..... only a nutcase would bid lawn care dressed like that around here.

but in reality we all have different standards for different occupations. Yes you will loose sales over your tattoos but they are most likely customers you do not want anyway. But I think for the most part your customers will not care. Think about it this way who would you want to cut your yard, a guy with tattoos or a guy showing up in a suite that looks like he has not touched a lawnmower in years.

No matter what you do you will only have a certain group of people that will do business with you, to get more customers you have to have more people see you. A customer told me that today and it sounded good:)

AttractiveLandscape
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Ooooo... this is a good one!:D I like tat's myself. I have a rather large visible tat on my left outside forearm... I had only one elderly lady comment on it and she said, "What a pretty tattoo!" LMFAO, now that isn't the experience I expected as my tat is a military one reading Death Before Dishonor with an Bald Eagle, Sword, Heart, etc. I also have a tribal arm band that is visible when I wear short sleeve polo's. I have never had an issue selling. Here are a few pointers though:
Do not look like a business man: you want to look like you know your business, the most dress up would be a polo with your business name / pair of jeans / and your work boots. <- this is an honest look

Clean cut: clean shaven, if you have a beard or go-tee then trimmed well and clean shaven around. <- shows self respect: can't respect others unless you respect yourself.

Personality, as 950thomas stated, is going to be key when it comes to the tat's. <- sincere

Remembering names is good but the biggest name to remember is the wife! <- the wife doesn't like you... your not getting the job

There are more but I believe these are the biggest. Good luck to you and may your business flourish and profit in the years to come!:cool:

LawnMoore
02-24-2011, 03:40 AM
I agree, i think the short sleeve polo will be your best bet also. Maybe some decently classic shades, like your a sophisticated artist and not a gang ridden jail bird :cool:

As long as you do not have sick vulgar tatoos, and its your canvas for art,

then by all means you should rock out with your art out, after all it is where your most comfortable isnt it?

I wouldn't really consider hiding it, unless its gang tatoo's or the equivelant.

Good Luck!

Growing Green
02-24-2011, 05:25 AM

problem solved

That is hilarious!!! Glad you are back Scott. Been worried that you got lost in the snow.

Matt

CHEESE2009
02-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I forgot that I even had tattoos.

Probably because I'm lacking mirrors and the fact they are near the pelvic region... and I have been eating McDonalds like a champion all winter.

http://www.bannedinhollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/super-fat-man-on-a-scooter.jpg

I can't wait for summer...

AttractiveLandscape
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I forgot that I even had tattoos.

Probably because I'm lacking mirrors and the fact they are near the pelvic region... and I have been eating McDonalds like a champion all winter.

http://www.bannedinhollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/super-fat-man-on-a-scooter.jpg

I can't wait for summer...

NICE! My suggestion for that is you may want to put the riding mower up and use the walk behind a bit... Oh and lay off the McD's too, lol!:D

CHEESE2009
02-24-2011, 09:05 AM
NICE! My suggestion for that is you may want to put the riding mower up and use the walk behind a bit... Oh and lay off the McD's too, lol!:D

Yeah I thought about creating some sort of program.

During the morning when it's cooler outside, I'll use the walk behind till noon. If it gets warmer i'll sit my arse on my tractor... probably down a gallon of soda while I'm at it.... :D

We'll see how long that lasts... lol

adforester
02-24-2011, 09:20 AM
don't want to hijack the thread but what do you all wear when giving estimates? or to work?

CHEESE2009
02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
don't want to hijack the thread but what do you all wear when giving estimates? or to work?

Work clothes.

I have company shirts to wear, and several pairs of track pants.. simple running shoes or boots...

Jeans = too heavy, might require a belt and I'm allergic to ... belts? lol...... plus I'd be pulling them up every minute

Shorts = my legs will get dirty, sometimes I like to do a few things in the house before I shower - I don't wanna make a mess (inevitable..lol) ...... The truck will also be a pain to clean out...

Track pants = light, comfortable... with a good waste-band you'll be able to keep your keys in your pocket without your pants falling down.. it's best to get breathable material. (grass hardly sticks to them)

The ONLY thing you should do is brush the grass off your clothes before greeting a potential customer... changing is hardly necessary.

I've only been invited indoors to talk about my service TWICE, they were very old ladies who couldn't be out in the heat. Other than that, you'll be walking the property explaining to the customer what you will provide them with....

adforester
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I love track pants but never worn them to work, mostly because i'm afraid i'll get something wet on them and when anything wet and slightly dirty gets on polyester track paints it makes it look like your having too much fun in your pants lol

your right though keeping it light is nice, when I used to do gardening more I used to mostly wear old running shoes because they made it so easy to be bent over and squatting all day, try squatting all day in chippewa super loggers lol

What color business shirts do you all have, i'd love to have a dark green but that'd get sooo hot in the summer!, thinking a nice gray

kdvandco
02-26-2011, 12:42 PM
enjoyed reading it. nice to see other ppl have their own set of problems and how we can come up with helpful solutions. im really glad I joined this forum. keep up the good work.

Simpkins
02-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Very good thread. I believe everyone has it covered here. Where professional looking clothes (more professional than the uninked guys) and pay attention to your facial hair. If you are well groomed and dress nice, I think the problem is about handled. Tattoos are more and more common. The general public is becoming "desensitized" to them. haha I have some ink in obvious places too.

The guy that suggested you meet this challenge head on in your marketing strategies is brilliant! That is the absolute best piece of marketing advice I've read on here. Look at the two big car rental companies. Hertz was the HUGE player in the game. Avis was trying to catch up. Their approach? To come clean. Their marketing revolved around "We are number 2!" haha It worked. Sales increased dramatically. "We are number 2 so we work harder to be number 1" was the general message and people responded. Folks love rooting for the underdog.

jrod14
02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
I love track pants but never worn them to work, mostly because i'm afraid i'll get something wet on them and when anything wet and slightly dirty gets on polyester track paints it makes it look like your having too much fun in your pants lol

hahah! Good one! I think the magellan long sleeve or short sleeve fishing shirts are the most comfortable to wear while out there in the heat cutting. i tried it once and now thats all i wear. they dry really fast and are lightweight. they block the sun and are pretty sharp looking too. i usually wear the orange color for safety reasons and it matches my equipment! haha! echo! I hate to wear pants so i usually wear dickie shorts. long ones too. i dont like to wear "short shorts!" haha! but once when i was weedeating in a hurry to catch a cowboys game on sunday (dont know why, they sucked this year)
i felt a pain in my shin. an hour later i finally looked down and i had a 3 inch rusty nail stuck in about 1/2 inch my shin! i pulled it out cut a couple more yards and went to get a tetanus shot...after the game though. they lost.. : ( ill still wear shorts though (most of the time). It gets pretty damn hot here in south texas.

Growing Green
02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
[QUOTE=adforester;85456]I love track pants but never worn them to work, mostly because i'm afraid i'll get something wet on them and when anything wet and slightly dirty gets on polyester track paints it makes it look like your having too much fun in your pants lol

hahah! Good one! I think the magellan long sleeve or short sleeve fishing shirts are the most comfortable to wear while out there in the heat cutting. i tried it once and now thats all i wear. they dry really fast and are lightweight. they block the sun and are pretty sharp looking too. i usually wear the orange color for safety reasons and it matches my equipment! haha! echo! I hate to wear pants so i usually wear dickie shorts. long ones too. i dont like to wear "short shorts!" haha! but once when i was weedeating in a hurry to catch a cowboys game on sunday (dont know why, they sucked this year)
i felt a pain in my shin. an hour later i finally looked down and i had a 3 inch rusty nail stuck in about 1/2 inch my shin! i pulled it out cut a couple more yards and went to get a tetanus shot...after the game though. they lost.. : ( ill still wear shorts though (most of the time). It gets pretty damn hot here in south texas.

Ouch! Probably would have gone through the pants anyway if you were wearing them. Jrod, where are you in TX if you don't mind me asking?

Matt

jrod14
02-27-2011, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=jrod14;85482]

Ouch! Probably would have gone through the pants anyway if you were wearing them. Jrod, where are you in TX if you don't mind me asking?

Matt

yeah..probably. im in Corpus Christi. How about yourself?

Growing Green
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=Growing Green;85486]

yeah..probably. im in Corpus Christi. How about yourself?

I'm in Austin. Love Corpus.

Matt

jrod14
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=jrod14;85487]

I'm in Austin. Love Corpus.

Matt

You love Corpus...hell...I love the hell outta Austin. Great Music Scene. Its been too long since i have been there. Got alot of friends out there but always too busy to visit! Do you just cut in the Austin area? how far do you go out?

Growing Green
02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=Growing Green;85507]

You love Corpus...hell...I love the hell outta Austin. Great Music Scene. Its been too long since i have been there. Got alot of friends out there but always too busy to visit! Do you just cut in the Austin area? how far do you go out?

Yea, Austin is pretty fun! I cut mainly in Austin area, but I live in South Austin so will only go so far up in North Austin. Basically a 20 mile round circle of where I live.

Matt