PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Exmark, need opinions

Amish Mafia
02-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing an Exmark TT 52" with a 23HP Kohler engine. The seller wants a 1000 for the unit. Full Hydro, electric start, with about 1500 hours. It does have the old pistol grips which I am ok with as I sold my old Scag belt drive unit that was a 1993 with the 13hp engine. It ran well for me for a long time. I mainly do residential lawns but I was able to score 2 bigger places that are completely flat. I don't owe anything on my equipment and just want something to get me through this season. What do you think of the price, and unit?
Thanks!

Amish Mafia
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Picture of the unit

Steve
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
How many more hours are you thinking you will be able to get out of that unit?

jrod14
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
I also have a similar question. Of course, the scag is one of the ultimate mowing machines. I have recently seen a 2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61' with 1447hrs for sale. It was priced at $4500 or Make an offer. I have looked up the price of these machines by calling local dealers and they have said a new one in 2001 range 10 to 13k. The mower that is being sold has its wear and tear and also has an oil leak that the owner has not fixed. is smokes when it runs. He said that he has not fixed it because he has worked out of town the past several months but insures it cuts and works great. Heres the good part...(i think)....so i tell him,"well the hours seem great for a ten year old mower but...its still 10 years old, has bumps and bruises (standard mowing wear) and is missing the roll bar...what is your bottom price you can live with? I have seen some on the internet with these hours on the net for 3k to 4k+?" he gave me a bottom price of $2800 cash. He said he can live with selling it at that price. Now...i have only seen the pics of this mower and it still has an oil leak. im suppose to go see this mower on sat....any suggestions on what to look for or is this even worth it? i have done tons of research but its just that i have been wanting a scag mower for a while and of course they cost a pretty penny....but...i dont want to just jump into it head first. Kinda makes me nervous. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

wandfsmall
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing an Exmark TT 52" with a 23HP Kohler engine. The seller wants a 1000 for the unit. Full Hydro, electric start, with about 1500 hours. It does have the old pistol grips which I am ok with as I sold my old Scag belt drive unit that was a 1993 with the 13hp engine. It ran well for me for a long time. I mainly do residential lawns but I was able to score 2 bigger places that are completely flat. I don't owe anything on my equipment and just want something to get me through this season. What do you think of the price, and unit?
Thanks!

I would say a little high on the price but does not look like it is junk. Walks have a small market you should be able to talk him down.

wandfsmall
02-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I also have a similar question. Of course, the scag is one of the ultimate mowing machines. I have recently seen a 2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61' with 1447hrs for sale. It was priced at $4500 or Make an offer. I have looked up the price of these machines by calling local dealers and they have said a new one in 2001 range 10 to 13k. The mower that is being sold has its wear and tear and also has an oil leak that the owner has not fixed. is smokes when it runs. He said that he has not fixed it because he has worked out of town the past several months but insures it cuts and works great. Heres the good part...(i think)....so i tell him,"well the hours seem great for a ten year old mower but...its still 10 years old, has bumps and bruises (standard mowing wear) and is missing the roll bar...what is your bottom price you can live with? I have seen some on the internet with these hours on the net for 3k to 4k+?" he gave me a bottom price of $2800 cash. He said he can live with selling it at that price. Now...i have only seen the pics of this mower and it still has an oil leak. im suppose to go see this mower on sat....any suggestions on what to look for or is this even worth it? i have done tons of research but its just that i have been wanting a scag mower for a while and of course they cost a pretty penny....but...i dont want to just jump into it head first. Kinda makes me nervous. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

by what you said I would RUN not walk RUN away. The smoking engine and unfixed oil leak when he is trying to sell the mower tells me he did not take care of it. You always want to sell something in its best light and would fix minor problems that would make a mower sell better. The Smoking engine could be a sign you need to rebuild or replace the engine. and what else is wrong with that mower...

shadrach
02-23-2011, 08:50 PM
The Exmark does not seem like a bad price but do not see it as a great deal either. If it was going to be my only mower I would not buy it, but probably not a bad idea if it is a second mower.

On the Scag I would say RUN. cant see paying 3k on a 10 year old mower especially one that has an oil leak.

nnyparts
02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
The Exmark TT 52" with a 23HP Kohler engine is priced about right but looks can be deceiving. The 2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61' with 1447hrs also has red flags that are going up.

Remember....these guys like yourselves are commercial landscapers and are going to run these machines until they get to a point of costing more to fix on a regular bases than to get new.

On the other hand...the bigger outfits I would assume have it budgeted in that they are looking to replace the old with new lets say every 4 to 6 years. Even if the machine is doing the job...most need to keep the professional appearance of a high quality and smoke bellowing with oil leaks don't fit the bill.

I am not sure if you can find someone like us in your area that are willing to go and look at both machines with you to give you an idea of if its worth the investment and a ball park figure of what it would cost to fix it.

Honestly that has been for us anyways a great way to get new customers. We sell mowers, but if we have someone contact us that has looked at what we have and not found what their looking and found something somewhere else through a private sale....we are more than willing to go with them to see if its worth their investment and what it might cost to fix it.

If they don't buy it or decide to fix it themselves...we charge an hourly rate to go look, if we get the repair work and a new customer...its free. We just added a new customer and possible future work and parts. So you repair shops out there, if your not offering customers this option...your loosing out.

So back to the two mowers....

Mower A is close to what its actually worth. Check the spindle towers, belts and ask for a maintenance records if they have it.

Mower B may need some minor work or a possible engine overhaul. Good chances are if the owner has not fixed this issue...they have not done regular maintenance on the mower such as oil changes, greasing the unit and more. New 25 Kohler will run you between 2300 to 3000.00 plus install so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps

jrod14
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I totally understand and have taken that into consideration. He said he has only used it on his 10 acre ranch. He said make me an offer. I told him it may even take me 1k to get it runningbetter than it is so my offer is $1800. He said fine. My wife has been nagging me to get rid of it since I don't cut anymore. What is you guys opinions now? I appreciate all the info and help guys. Thanks.

Jacob Rodriguez

brogdonproperties
02-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks!

That doesnt sound to bad..do a compression check on the motor...and make sure the deck isnt rusted out to bad......exmark is all i use

LawnMoore
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I totally understand and have taken that into consideration. He said he has only used it on his 10 acre ranch. He said make me an offer. I told him it may even take me 1k to get it runningbetter than it is so my offer is $1800. He said fine. My wife has been nagging me to get rid of it since I don't cut anymore. What is you guys opinions now? I appreciate all the info and help guys. Thanks.

Jacob Rodriguez

Remember, his bottom line was 2800, you offered 1800 and has he almost without hesitation said, ok my wifes wanting it gone..

Bad sign, brother. THis says he is willing to let it go for 1500 cash because he already knows its an upside down machine! as in worth less, than scrap metal, lol

shadrach
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
for $1800 I would think about it if I had a backup. It might take time and money but you could end up with a decent mower in time. Price the high dollar parts (pumps & motor) and decide how much time/money you would be willing to put into it and still consider it a good deal.

Amish Mafia
02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Steve,
Not sure how many hours I'm looking to get out of it. Maybe 10-20 a week, that would probably be the most.

Here is a follow up with 2 other potentials that I'm looking at.....Guy has a Great Dane Super Surfer, 48" deck 19hp Kawi, and only 175 hrs on the machine it's 2 years old. He is going off to the military and needs it gone. I got him down to 2 grand cash. Good deal? The other is another Exmark Walk Behind Viking 2008 with ECS, and 550 hrs, with 15hp Kawi. Would u buy the initial one for the grand or one of those 2. Anyone have dealings with the Super Surfer? Looks like an absolutely perfect machine, and he has service records.

jrod14
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Remember, his bottom line was 2800, you offered 1800 and has he almost without hesitation said, ok my wifes wanting it gone..

Bad sign, brother. THis says he is willing to let it go for 1500 cash because he already knows its an upside down machine! as in worth less, than scrap metal, lol

i hear ya'! i was thinking the same thing. it took him a while to call me back when i offered $1800 but what the hell i guess. I do have a back up zero turn that i use. I had 2 but i just sold one for guess what??? $1800!! haha! i had 2 troy bilt 2008 50" zero turns with 200 hrs each. i sold one because i was planning on gettin a mower anyways. but it was gonna be a husqvarna residential style 54" for $3000. then i saw this mower. Since i do have a backup...my plan is to pretty much overhaul this one the best i can. the most expensive parts on this scag is the pumps and the engine itself. pumps are 1200 each and the engine. well that ranges for about 2500+. But...im hoping that it runs pretty damn good besides the oil leak. my plan is to offer him maybe even a $1000. if i could get this thing for $1000 and it cuts like he says it does. then it looks like i could save 6000+ if i overhaul it myself. maybe im just dreaming! i guess i have watched one too many house remodel shows. i figure if you can do it to a house then why cant you do it to a scag??? I guess i have also taken into consideration that i only cut about 20 hours a month during the season and 10-12 during the off season. im still stuck on deciding. i guess.....i will just find out sat if its good. im gonna run it, cut with it and inspect the hell out of it to make sure i can estimate some repairs. thanks guys...

Jacob Rodriguez
ACA Lawn Care

jrod14
02-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Well gentlemen.....I bought the scag! I ended up paying $1600 cash. It runs, it cuts, it has an oil leak. Its actually in really good shape minus the oil leak. It looks like and o-ring may be busted. Im just gonna take it slow on this one and my plans are to have it cutting in the next 8 to 12 months. Its gonna be a long process getting it to new but i know i can get it there. i have always wanted to have a project like this so now heres my chance....luckily, i have a zero turn to cut so im not S.O.L! Well not yet anyway! Thanks for all the advice even though i pretty much did what i was gonna do anyways. I will post pics up so you guys can see the transformation!

Steve
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
How long will it take to change the piston rings?

I look forwards to your pics.

jrod14
02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
How long will it take to change the piston rings?

I look forwards to your pics.

i probably wont actually start working on the engine for another month or so. im gonna take into into to get cked out to make sure what it is. after that, ill decide wether it will be easier for me to do the job or the place i take it. i have just started cleaning and inspecting the deck, pumps and other parts. i have been looking and tech manuals from SCAG to help me out and they are pretty good. im starting to get a lil busier and im moving into another house that has a hell of a garage so ill be able to have more work room. Hopefully its just a valve cover leak. its leaking from the top area. where the valve cover is. might be a cheap fix. but could end up to be expensive. either way, once its cutting like new....it will be all worth it.

Steve
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
That sounds good. I look forwards to your updates.

jrod14
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM

This is my new baby...well...not new but new to me. I took it in to a well known local scag dealership to get checked out. The guys there couldnt believe that i got it for 1600 and said it was a hell of a deal that hardly comes around! Made me feel like its a winner! Anyways, they are gonna pressure test it and ck the pumps as a starting point and then let me know what the problems are so we can move forward. Wish me luck guys...also, how do you start threads on this forum? i have been having a hard time finding out. Also, anyone know how to make a striping kit? i have looked it up on the internet and actually found some great sources but i was just curious if any of you have made one before. one that works well. Thanks.

950thomas
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I would have bought it even if u put a new engine on it u won't be in it much and will have a good mower

jymie
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
how do you start threads on this forum? i have been having a hard time finding out.

click on forum (http://www.gopherforum.com/forum-index.php)(2nd tab from the left), click on the forum you want to start a new thread, then click new thread

jrod14
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM

As of now. My baby is in the shop. It has a 5% leak on the valves. The gentleman i spoke with said they can fix it but the thing that wont be good is that its not gonna be 100%. They will go out and i will have to rebuild the engine)$1200+a couple of parts that i need= $1600) or get a new one. I expected that. i was just hoping i could salvage whatever i could on the engine. So as of now...im gonna put in a new kawasaki 27hp FD750D-S02 engine. The dealer i have my mower at can get one and he also gave me a website to go to www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com My dealers price was $2050 and the website's was $1789...he informed me that all the warranties would be intact whether i buy it from the dealership or the website since they are a authorized kawasaki dealer. He was a straight forward good guy. Sooooo....i may actually put in the engine alot sooner that i was planning. now that i have this mower, i dont even want to wait to get it going! My plan is to have it up and running by May. Maybe even sooner. I will continue to keep you all updated. Of course, i still would like to get it to new with paint, new tires and a new seat but i just want to get the most expensive thing outta the way. Thanks for you guys insights and if you didnt know about this website www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com....ck it out. its a good one.

Steve
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
My baby is in the shop. It has a 5% leak on the valves.

So does that mean the vales aren't sealing properly?

I don't know anything about this motor but I do wonder if this is a valve issue due to wear or is it a problem with a cam?

The gentleman i spoke with said they can fix it but the thing that wont be good is that its not gonna be 100%.

Does it matter if it is not 100%? If you will ultimately replace it, why not continue to use it until it just won't work anymore and save your money until then?

What's your thoughts on that?

jrod14
03-08-2011, 08:36 AM
So does that mean the vales aren't sealing properly?

I don't know anything about this motor but I do wonder if this is a valve issue due to wear or is it a problem with a cam?

its a valve issue and a cam issue. The valves are leaking at their max that this dealership will fix. 5%....wether i replace the issues or not...im gonna spend some cash. it would be cheaper for me in the long run to just get a new engine put in. Rather than keep fixing problems here and there and spending alot of $. Ill just spend alot of $ at once and get the warranty along with it.

Does it matter if it is not 100%? If you will ultimately replace it, why not continue to use it until it just won't work anymore and save your money until then?

What's your thoughts on that?

well i would hate to be out there on some nice properties or commercials that i do and have a bad smoking zero turn. it smokes pretty good and the oil leak cause it to lose too much oil. i new buying this zero turn that i would eventually replace the engine. im gonna keep the engine it has now and see if anyone can buy it for parts or even just buy it to rebuild. if i have a new engine...that means warranty (3year kawasaki) and a hell of a scag for less than $4,000 total. I do have a 50" Troy bilt that i use that has been really good to me. I will hold on to it for as long as i can then use both of them. Maybe sell the troy bilt and invest in a 36" Scag walk behind. That would be nice!

Steve
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
I was hoping there would be a cheaper fix that could keep you going for a while, without the smoke.

jrod14
03-08-2011, 10:40 PM
I was hoping there would be a cheaper fix that could keep you going for a while, without the smoke.

I appreciate that! Got some great news today that is gonna help me a ton. I got a couple of new contracts. I have been pushing my business out there and coming up with some pretty good deals. Thanks to all of you guys....I have a great feeling about this season. Either way...I just wanna have a great time. I am loving the pride and hard work I put into these lawns. Can't thank you guys enough for all this business advice.

Steve
03-09-2011, 09:36 PM
That is great news! Keep us posted on how it all goes.

jrod14
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Well gentleman!!! I got the mower a new engine and it is ready to go! Let me tell ya'll....this bad boy runs like a smooth cadillac!! Its making its debut this weekend. I cut my own yard with it and it cuts like a champ. I also spoke with the mechanic about the zero turn and he told me "i went through this mower with a fine toothed comb and only found the engine bad. The pumps gears, bearings are all good and you just got yourself a new mower for nothing!" The service manager of the store said that it would sell for $7,000 easily. Not bad for a $3,500 investment. Of course im not gonna sell it but it did cross my mind when he told me! haha! i asked him "hell, 7K! You guys do trade ins!?" he replied no. Anyways, dont mean to be a brag but im just too damn excited to help it. I will post pics as soon as i can. Thankfully i have been crazy busy that i havent even had time to log on lately. I hope all you guys are doing good and cutting like crazy! Make that money and do good guys. Thanks for all the input, advice and lawn talk! Take care!

Jacob Rodriguez
ACA Lawn Care
Corpus Christi, TX

Steve
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Congratulations Jacob!

I hope this is a great year for you!

jrod14
04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Congratulations Jacob!

I hope this is a great year for you!

Thanks Steve! Right back at you!