PDA

View Full Version : Getting insurance and your own health benifits...

hilohawks
02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Hi i'm just getting started. How did u guys all start? With or without a GE license and then saved money till u could get insurance for yourself... Then what about medical coverage and what if you have children. Did u get you children eventually covered? How long did it take you to get to that point. I'm pretty much gonna start with the basic equipment in April and wanted to get advice on direction or start off with a good plan or idea... I was thinking of just going door to door hustling people for quick jobs and saving money money money!!! Thx Ryan

FirstClassLandscaping
02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi i'm just getting started. How did u guys all start? With or without a GE license and then saved money till u could get insurance for yourself... Then what about medical coverage and what if you have children. Did u get you children eventually covered? How long did it take you to get to that point. I'm pretty much gonna start with the basic equipment in April and wanted to get advice on direction or start off with a good plan or idea... I was thinking of just going door to door hustling people for quick jobs and saving money money money!!! Thx Ryan

When i first started last year i just got the basic for my company and myself and employees. So basiclly i got general liability with 1 to 2 million in coverage, workmans comp for me and my one guy who works for me, then lastly i got commercial auto for my truck and thats it. Start small then get more coverage as you need it.

adforester
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Here's my deal

Some clients ask me if I have insurance, I say YES, because I do have medical insurance, if there not going to ask what type i'm not going to give details. Isn't insurance just for there protection?
I have been in business for 5 years and never had insurance, BUT I don't know why I need it so don't take my opinion!

Anyone want to explain to me why I need it???

I do have commercial auto and do have insurance on my mower, anyone else have coverage on there mower? Does a business liability insurance cover mowers? I'm paying $350 for mower insurance a year.
1 million liability policy around here llc costs around 1,200 a yr.

hilohawks
02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
so you think for now i get my general exisise tax lisense for now?

FirstClassLandscaping
02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Here's my deal

Some clients ask me if I have insurance, I say YES, because I do have medical insurance, if there not going to ask what type i'm not going to give details. Isn't insurance just for there protection?
I have been in business for 5 years and never had insurance, BUT I don't know why I need it so don't take my opinion!

Anyone want to explain to me why I need it???

I do have commercial auto and do have insurance on my mower, anyone else have coverage on there mower? Does a business liability insurance cover mowers? I'm paying $350 for mower insurance a year.
1 million liability policy around here llc costs around 1,200 a yr.

The insurance is not just for your client its for you to...god forbid anything happen and you dont have any coverage they can go after not only the business but things in your personal life...like the vehicle you drive to jobs and if that is in your personal name and not the business then the person going after you can start abtaining anything in that name. So it is smart to have it even though you dont use it very much its better to be safe than sorry.

FirstClassLandscaping
02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
so you think for now i get my general exisise tax lisense for now?

yes if you are just starting fresh this year then you start with the lowest coverage that protects everything that you use. My best advice to you and all new lawn care operators would be to start with baby steps and grow every year without risking the profits of the company to the point of bankruptcy.

950thomas
02-22-2011, 08:05 PM
When I started I did not have insurance or commercial tags I was lucky in the Begining but know I have 5 million in insurance and 500 thousand in workers comp per occurance and I use the hello out of it I had twelve grand in claims last year not to count the four blowers I had stolen and workers getting hurt so I would get it

Hedgemaster
02-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Buy the effin' insurance.

If you don't want to spend a lot, call around - I found a commercial liability policy for 1 mil. that was $167 a year... a freaking YEAR. I went with a more costly plan, but the point is, it's out there if you look.

Go ahead and cause some high ticket damage to a client's property, or smack someone in the eye with a piece of debris, then come back and say that it's not worth having.

I don't have health care coverage yet. When I actually start making some money, I'll get it - until then, I'm going to have to be extra careful.
Not sure about everywhere, but worker's comp ins. is only mandatory if you have an employee.

950thomas
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
You don't have to have workers comp in my state unless u have over 5 employes but most commercial will make u have it even if it is just u doing the work

Ladyinmidlo
02-22-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm new to this WONDERFUL web-site and have this nagging insurance issue. My hubby has had this small, pt time business for 20+yrs. Proceeding with care, prayer and a positive attitude, have done so without insurance. Most recently laid-off from the 9-5, he's really taken it to the next step and doesn't plan on looking back.

With that, in order to ever retire (comfortably), we have to go Commercial, which leads me to the insurance dilemma. This will be done in baby steps ~ hopefully landing small enough contracts that he and our 2 strapping sons can handle ~ If I recall from the old days, regardless of size you need a license and general liability? So, I got the license (and a personal property tax bill - compliments of the Commonwealth) but, this insurance is hard to bite off without the promise of work.

How did or do most beginners get over that hump?

Growing Green
02-22-2011, 11:35 PM
I only do residential property. I have 500k in liability and have commercial auto insurance. Cost about $125 a month for both.

Matt

950thomas
02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I do mostly commercial and the more insurance u have the better sonner or later u will need it

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I only do residential property. I have 500k in liability and have commercial auto insurance. Cost about $125 a month for both.

Matt

same here i only do residential with 1 mil in coverage and commercial auto and workmens comp and i pay 3200 a year.

950thomas
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I will trade with u my insurance runs $2300 a month

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I will trade with u my insurance runs $2300 a month

wow what kind of coverage do you run with that price?

Steve
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
With that, in order to ever retire (comfortably), we have to go Commercial, which leads me to the insurance dilemma. This will be done in baby steps ~ hopefully landing small enough contracts that he and our 2 strapping sons can handle ~ If I recall from the old days, regardless of size you need a license and general liability? So, I got the license (and a personal property tax bill - compliments of the Commonwealth) but, this insurance is hard to bite off without the promise of work.

How did or do most beginners get over that hump?

Most commercial jobs will require you to present them with proof of liability insurance.

That is why I think many start off going the residential route. As things pick up and they can afford it, they scale up their insurance policy.

I would venture to guess that a large majority of brand new start ups, have no liability insurance at all. They are just out there mowing a few lawns, unsure what will come of their entrepreneurial experience.

But there is a down side to it and we see it happen from time to time. You are gambling without liability insurance and sometimes the odds catch up to you and something happens.

950thomas
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
My policy covers my workers comp general liability my auto and equipment

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
My policy covers my workers comp general liability my auto and equipment

do you do tree removals?

950thomas
02-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes we do trees but that is not that much more on my insurance

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes we do trees but that is not that much more on my insurance

really? bc my insurance would jump from 3200 to 12000 if i did tree removal. it was crazy.

950thomas
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I use to use nationwide before I found a commercial insurance company but nationwide would cover tree work as long as it is not more than 10 percent of your total business at no additional charge u might give them a call

hilohawks
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
is there a FREE logo site where i can make a good logo for my flyers/business cards? Im thinking of using the name YARD SHARK MAINTENNANCE and I was thinking of a logo with a cartoon looking shark chomping a chuck of grass in its mouth. Im going with the bright florecent orange color for my uniform cause out here in Hawaii the all the laborers use that florescent green / yellow color and i really want to stand out... I got a big black truck and the bright orange on my truck would really stand out along with the orange unis... Ideas please... thanks for all the replys!!!
RYAN from HILO HAWAII

Steve
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi Ryan,

I would look around the web and see if you could find a shark design you liked. Ten from there maybe base your design off of it. I'd love to see what you come up with.