PDA

View Full Version : My Second Year Coming!

adforester
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone,
Well this is my second year coming up and i've enjoyed working for myself. I used to work for another company for 4+ years one company doing masonry and one for gardening general landscaping.

First year - equipment
2006 F350 regular cab
48" scag freedom z w/ trailer
stihl chainsaws
stihl blower
husq weed eater
etc.
The truck and mower I have loans out on but the trailer and small equipment I payed outright.
It was an alright year, I was able to save up 11,000 but with winter work being slow and bills needing to be payed I now have around 8,500, by the time work starts I may have around 7,000.

Anyway here's my question,
I have 7,000 to start up my business again this spring. I will probably spend around 1,000 or 1,500 for advertising, extra needed tools, insurances etc. so that leaves me with 6,000. (I'm re-doing my business cards, stamps for bills, making brochures, postcards)

the question:
So i'm thinking of buying a dump bed insert for my f350. It would reallly help with fall and spring cleanups, tree work and of course mulching etc.
So if you had 6,000-7,000 in the bank would u buy a dump insert??
It's only my second year in business but i'm getting old to have
to do everything (25)lol
Anyone have any experience with the dump inserts??

shadrach
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
I looked at getting an insert but went with a dump trailer instead. It is nice to be able to drop the trailer and go on to the next job without having to unload first. Not paying for the extra gas to haul it around when you are not using it is nice too. Just another option to consider.

adforester
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
what brand trailer did u go with? and what type of pricing would I be looking at?
Unfortunetly I live at an apartment and space is kinda low for parking, that's why I was considering a dump insert

FirstClassLandscaping
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
what brand trailer did u go with? and what type of pricing would I be looking at?
Unfortunetly I live at an apartment and space is kinda low for parking, that's why I was considering a dump insert

A buddy of mine has a bri-mar dump trailer. I believe its 14 feet by 6 feet and can dump up to around 6000 pounds. If you have the space,which it looks like you dont, then the dump trailer would be well worth it. But as far as a dumpinsert i feel it is not worth it. 1. you lose space in your bed when you get it installed, and 2 it is a little harder to build any type of box on it to get the extra cappacity that you need. In my opionion i would put a dump on your bed of your truck. You can put a 3 ton dump piston on your bed and be good as gold when you need to dump anything and the plus side is that your truck will look stock instead of having a big bulky insert in your bed.

adforester
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
ya i've heard of people getting the dump pistons attached to the stock body, I know the people who do this usually get either cross bars for extra support or a metal sheet for support underneath.

I checked pricing around here and having that done would be MORE than getting the dump insert LOL I was qouted 3,500

FirstClassLandscaping
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
ya i've heard of people getting the dump pistons attached to the stock body, I know the people who do this usually get either cross bars for extra support or a metal sheet for support underneath.

I checked pricing around here and having that done would be MORE than getting the dump insert LOL I was qouted 3,500

Yea it is a little more money buti feel its a better deal for the long run... but if you do get a dump insert try to get a stainless steel truck craft brand...They are very good inserts with many options to add on to the insert. They would be the best bang for your buck when it comes to buy the insert.

Steve
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
So i'm thinking of buying a dump bed insert for my f350. It would reallly help with fall and spring cleanups, tree work and of course mulching etc.
So if you had 6,000-7,000 in the bank would u buy a dump insert??

What do you feel the benefits of that would be in real man hours. Can you calculate out how much that would save you in a year?

What is your view on leaving that money in the bank?

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
What do you feel the benefits of that would be in real man hours. Can you calculate out how much that would save you in a year?

What is your view on leaving that money in the bank?

in the long run the dump will cut man hours significantly... basically it can take 45 seconds to dump a load of leafs of take 30 minutes to manually unload it. So the dump is well worth it.

Steve
02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
How about a load handler?

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/351_lg.jpg

See if you take that $7,000 and buy a stock that gives you a 10% return on your money every year.

The first year you would have $7,700
The second year = $8,470
The third = $9,317
The fourth = $10,248
The fifth = $11,273
The sixth = $12,400
The seventh = $13,641
The eighth = $15,000
The ninth = $16,505
The tenth = $18,156

Basically in seven years, your money has doubled.

Now If you are maxed out for time and you need a quick way to dump, fine do it. But if you have time, why not utilize your time and go a cheaper route and let your money work for you?

FirstClassLandscaping
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
How about a load handler?

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/351_lg.jpg

See if you take that $7,000 and buy a stock that gives you a 10% return on your money every year.

The first year you would have $7,700
The second year = $8,470
The third = $9,317
The fourth = $10,248
The fifth = $11,273
The sixth = $12,400
The seventh = $13,641
The eighth = $15,000
The ninth = $16,505
The tenth = $18,156

Basically in seven years, your money has doubled.

Now If you are maxed out for time and you need a quick way to dump, fine do it. But if you have time, why not utilize your time and go a cheaper route and let your money work for you?

That would be great but the way the economy is i wouldnt want to gamble my savings on stock when you can spend a little money and make money from your purchase. Also i have heard bad things about that handler thing...just doesnt cut it and end up not using it.

950thomas
02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
That load handler does not work good on real heavy loads

adforester
02-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Ya i'm really on edge about the dump insert, not sure if I have enough work to justify it (as in I make enough money to justify it but not sure I need it to cut down my time you know?) an extra half hour doesn't mean much in my world, I do sprain my back bout every month which sucks and is why I am really considering the dump insert or load handler, its the main reason.

I buy gold but mostly silver these days. I have around 20 ounces and hoping to get more. Eventhough gold's at 1350 these days many think its going to go up, alot of commodities are. I checkout this site daily and read some of there articles
www.kitco.com
Silver is a cheap way of investing compared to gold
with the american dollar going down I don't mind grabbing people's silver off them. Alot of people including celente think gold's going to reach 2,000 in around a year!

robgee05
02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Well dont really dump stocks, but I would Buy silver. Also I have seen small dump trailers in the 4000 range which may be more feasible. If your time is maxed you would probably be making more then 10% a year on your investment too. You could go really cheap with something like this:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/2225508963.html

Steve
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
If you don't need it right away, hold onto the cash. You never know when a mower is going to die or an opportunity will present itself. If you have cash, you can jump on it.