PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on Church Bulletin Advertising?

Hedgemaster
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I've been playing with the idea for three weeks now. Part of me says it would be a good place to "start", and part of me wonders if anyone actually looks at them.

They are a bit more expensive than I had anticipated, but since I haven't researched rates for other forms of advertising, I don't know how this compares.

Price for a "1 Block" ad (about 1 3/4" x 1"):

$195 for 26 wks (6 mo.)
$325 for 52 wks (1 yr)

With the one year run, you may make 4 changes per year. (Think "seasonal" ads)
(I didn't ask if changes can be made with 6 mo. run, but I would assume so)

It's a Catholic church, so in addition to "Sundays", they will be distributed during weekday mass services as well.

There are currently no other "lawn service" advertisers listed. There is one "landscaper" who runs a 2 block ad, but he's an established, well-known business that does larger scale work.
If I'm going to do it, I need to do so before spring arrives.

Any thoughts on this subject? Firsthand experience?
I'm all ears.

wandfsmall
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
When I did commercial cutting years ago I never advertised, my father thought it would hurt his business if his son was trying to take work from his customers. But with the shop I have never really gotten enough work to really pay for placing adds. Word of mouth and business cards are the only thing that seems to work. In your line door hangers I am sure would work well too.

Steve
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Is there anyway you can test it out first? Maybe try a one month ad?

There is one "landscaper" who runs a 2 block ad, but he's an established, well-known business that does larger scale work.

Could you call him and see if he found it worthwhile or not? Or maybe even talk to other advertisers and see what they say?

Hedgemaster
02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Is there anyway you can test it out first? Maybe try a one month ad?

Could you call him and see if he found it worthwhile or not? Or maybe even talk to other advertisers and see what they say?

As far as I know, it's 6 mo, or 12 mo.

Not a bad idea about calling some of the advertisers.

Anyone else? Nobody has done this type of advertising before?

LawnMoore
02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Im 50/50 on this idea.

Half of me thinks its good because they might want to use you since you go to their church, if you do.

and half of me is thinking, what the hell, ive never heard of a church charging to advertise..

im sure there are 15 more churchs around!

Get this, back last year i read somewhere in gopher forum, about a guy wanting to get into gated communities.. he couldnt figuere out how to, untill one day he thought ill offer the association to pay for printing a weekly newspaper for the community and ill just have my add in it.

Maybe you can offer a church to pay for there printing of a newsletter with your add in it ;)

Hedgemaster
02-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Im 50/50 on this idea.

Half of me thinks its good because they might want to use you since you go to their church, if you do.

and half of me is thinking, what the hell, ive never heard of a church charging to advertise..

im sure there are 15 more churchs around!

Get this, back last year i read somewhere in gopher forum, about a guy wanting to get into gated communities.. he couldnt figuere out how to, untill one day he thought ill offer the association to pay for printing a weekly newspaper for the community and ill just have my add in it.

Maybe you can offer a church to pay for there printing of a newsletter with your add in it ;)

You aren't Catholic, are you?

;)

Neither am I, but my wife is. She's a member - I am not, I just warm the pew and give them my money. (No issues taking money from non-Catholics I've noticed)

Sure, I guess I could check out other churches, but I would rather advertise in one that I attend.

LawnMoore
02-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Yea, now that i think about it, the catholics are the ones that have been around since the medival times, etc..

Now i know why :D

I would strongly consider how many attned the church first.. and call thee landscaper see what he gets return on there. and tell him about yourself too, he migth can kick you something when he doesnt do it.

Steve
02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultimately, if you can't test it out month to month, there are probably other avenues you should consider.

When money is tight, you really want to get the most bang for your buck. The way this is set up, it would allow you to experiment.

I would be interested in hearing what the landscaper or others that advertise say but beyond that, I would probably experiment with something else.

When you go to church, can you get their early and park your truck up front with your business card dispensers and signs on it? I bet that could be really helpful.

Ducke
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
I am kind on the fence with this one.
I found when I use to go to Church that 85% of the guys there were there to get leads for their work. (salesmen)
I also noticed that the ones that read the bulletin are the seniors the sector that will bring you the most work.
It really a hard call I think it would get you some clients but I think it will be a hard fought sell.

Graham

Steve
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Did you make a decision on this yet? Which way are you leaning?

Hedgemaster
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Did you make a decision on this yet? Which way are you leaning?

I haven't decided. If I weren't hurting for money so badly, I'd just go ahead and try it for six months.
I need a new computer ($700 Mac mini) and I need a new mower($530 Toro Super Recycler), so right there I'm looking at over $1,200...

I'm going to see if I qualify for one of these "no interest for 12 months" credit card offers... if I can do that for those big purchases, I may consider some paid advertising.

Still unsure about the church bulletin though. Had hoped to hear from people who have tried it.