PDA

View Full Version : First full year in business and I need some advice

slcllc
02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I started my company at the end of last summer and did pretty well for myself. I bought a used eXmark metro 36 inch. It works pretty well but has a few quirks. I'm now in the position where I can spend up to $3000 on a new zero turn. What kind of mower would you recommend? I have only residential customers with lot sizes about 1/4 an acre. I was looking at a Toro 34 or 42 inch, but the 42 won't fit into all my customer's back yards. Any opinions would be welcome.

amfine1996
02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Why do you "need" to buy another one? Remember, buy tools-not toys.

LawnMoore
02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
If i needed to buy another zero, its going to be a 33/34 incher to go in gates.

jeffh
02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I have been told Scag provide the best cut and disperses the grass so you have no windroles. I am looking at to get one of those.

slcllc
02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Why do you "need" to buy another one? Remember, buy tools-not toys.

I need one because the eXmark is my only "large" mower, and with it's age and quirks I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Even if it does last a long while, there are a few things wrong with it. Ex: parking brake doesn't work, sometimes slow to engage second gear, needs a new exhaust, controls sometimes stick, and doesn't actually have a zero degree turning radius- you have to go out a little to get even. It would make a decent backup, but I don't trust it for a primary.

LawnMoore
02-18-2011, 12:18 AM
I agree!

You need another one, I would try to shop smartly, and look all over the web for the best price on a like new mower you want, or just buy a new one with warranty, remember a like new one might not have the warrranty, so you want to be able to get it at around 50% value or less for a great buy!

8ball
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I would have a 32" because then you can do less time with different mowers so that you can spend time mowing and less fooling around with 2-4 mower's. I hope that helps.