PDA

View Full Version : Get in good with... everyone!

MAKLawnCutter
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Are you starting new? Do you plan on attempting to acquire government properties, commercial and industrial?

Here are some ways to help you get to the right people, and be in front of your competition.

Attend as many or ALL local meetings on emergency services, property awareness, economics and lawn care/landscaping. All cities hold meetings daily, weekly and monthly that are open to the public that you can attend. If they aren't open to the public, you can get a transcipt as soon as 24hours after the meeting, so you can read into it and know all rules and regulations.

My company M.A.K. Landscaping recently relocated to Daytona Beach from Orlando. We had 57 contracted residential customers that we let go of last at the beginning of 2011 so we could concentrate on Volusia County, FL. When we got here i heard about a "Safety Standard" that the local police department does, i went up and picked up all of the information available, read it and submitted a pamphlet to the PD so if they needed to recommend a company that can do the "Standards" to other apartment complex's i know the rules in and out. This landed us a "City Certification of Compliance" that got us into the database for the "Emergency Contact Number Sheet" that is mailed to all business (commercial/commercial-resident/Industrial) complex's in VOLUSIA COUNTY. Nearly 75,000 businesses in one county will have my direct information.
This has entailed three cities in the county to contact me to let me know i NEED to apply a bid submission to the parks and recreation offices, along with all city buildings (Court houses, Fire Departments, Police Stations, ect.). Those alone can total more than 2.3million dollars in new revenue for the 2011 season.
After looking into it and talking to a few friends, i realized "I dont have enough equipment to handle a 23acre city park, nor do i have enough man power to handle them in a 2 - 3 day process... I need to equip and man-up. One friend told me i could submit that i can put into my contracts that i will need "X" Amount up front to buy equipment and train employees specific to these jobs at hand.

Along with attending local/city/state meetings, you can also attend as many home owners association meetings, and chamber of commerce meetings. Talk to ALL of the realtors in your location, find out if they need a forclosure cut, or if they are taking bids on them? Hit all of your local apartment complexes with a small goodie bag for the ladies in the office. Drop a box (or a few) of doughnuts at the city zoning office with a folder of information and leave a small pile of cards on the counter.

Marketing your business is the ONLY way you will bring in income. Make sure more people know you, than you can remember. Always make sure you check in with anyone you have seen... never let them forget you.

Matt
M.A.K. Landscaping

The Cleaning Doctor
02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
That defines the belly to belly social networking and sales to the TEE

Congrats. Not only do you have the new family, your business seems to have taken it up to the next level.

SpokaneSRC
02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
That is really good information. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your business is really about to take off. Congratulations.

950thomas
02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Get on the government bid list they have to give so much work to small biz

The Cleaning Doctor
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Don't forget to look into your local codes enforcement division. They sometimes have a property cleaned up and then stick it to the owner later. This happens more than you think.

Steve
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Attend as many or ALL local meetings on emergency services, property awareness, economics and lawn care/landscaping. All cities hold meetings daily, weekly and monthly that are open to the public that you can attend. If they aren't open to the public, you can get a transcipt as soon as 24hours after the meeting, so you can read into it and know all rules and regulations.

Matt, this is all great! Have you been able to go to some meetings so far? Which ones have you found brought you the most results or were the most helpful in growing your business?

Also when you are at these meetings, whats the best way to promote yourself without overdoing it? Or should that not be a concern?

MAKLawnCutter
02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Matt, this is all great! Have you been able to go to some meetings so far? Which ones have you found brought you the most results or were the most helpful in growing your business?

Also when you are at these meetings, whats the best way to promote yourself without overdoing it? Or should that not be a concern?

I Have attended about 9 Safety Services Meetings, City and County meetings. I have shown up to meetings and not been able to get in, someone would walk out for a bathroom break, i would walk in in their place. I Have attended about 30 Home Owner Associate meetings (none of which have been worth a damn), i have been to Chamber of Commerce Meetings, and not been part of the Chamber.

I got a call from a local Chamber of Commerce yesterday and i plan on going tomorrow morning before i head to Orlando with my new Certifications. I should be able to get in with no fees (offer some crap they think is a deal, lol).

I am off to bed now! Been a long 2days... 6hours of sleep... 8am out the door.

GOOD NIGHT GOPHER PEEPS!

Matt

Steve
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Do you feel there are certain meetings that are better than others to attend?

JLH Pro Lawn Care
02-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Matt you rock!!! this is gonna be a goood year:D