PDA

View Full Version : a postcard for organic fertilizing

Klean Kutz
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
just finished with this one, can you guys give me your input pls

thanks

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RibbitLandscaping/organicfertpostcard.jpg

jymie
02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
The background on these is very eye catching.

Hedgemaster
02-14-2011, 11:41 PM
It hurts my eyes a little. (it's the colors) Maybe it won't be so harsh on paper though.

Aside from that, here are my thoughts...

Your text/images are way way too close to the edges. It's a common mistake that shouts "amateur". An ad should always have "breathing room" all around. (unless an image is deliberately meant to run off the edge)
Yes, that usually means you have to make something "smaller", but trust me, it will look better in the end.

There should be a space after (832). Either that, or just do 832-

Are those images showing "bad" in front, and "good" in back? If so, reverse it. You want to show them how GOOD the lawn will look after being treated.
Before/after pics generally show the "before" image much smaller than the "after" for this reason.

Not wild about the copy "Turn your lawn from a yellowish dead look..." That doesn't sound "right". I know what you mean, but I think it could be worded better.

"All safe for your family and pets". Drop the word "All" - You didn't list several products, so I think "Safe for your family and pets" would be appropriate.

Lose the "!!" at the beginning of the last line and either use just one "!" or three (!!!) at the end - two always looks "wrong" to me.

The Cleaning Doctor
02-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Get rid of the facebook etc. this is print and they can't click on the postcard. Change your font color to have more contrast with the back ground. Yellow or white. It is very hard to read. You don't want the image to be the message.

Too busy. Focus on the Organic Lawn Care part not the company name. That is the message you are trying to convey. If they like the message they will find your name and number even printed smaller.

Don't focus on your company, focus on what the customer gets.

Steve
02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I like your creativity!

You should try posting two of them. Maybe one with a lighter colored background and then we could compare it to this darker colored one to see which one looks better.

Hedgemaster
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Get rid of the facebook etc. this is print and they can't click on the postcard. Change your font color to have more contrast with the back ground. Yellow or white. It is very hard to read. You don't want the image to be the message.

Too busy. Focus on the Organic Lawn Care part not the company name. That is the message you are trying to convey. If they like the message they will find your name and number even printed smaller.

Don't focus on your company, focus on what the customer gets.

^^^ This post is spot-on.

I didn't want to get TOO nit-picky with my previous post, but yeah, a "business name" is not a "headline". Over the years, I can't tell you how many customers requested their ads to be set up like that - Ad FAIL!

Most times I could convince them to allow me to come up with something creative, but some refused. Some people are convinced that their name is MOST important (it isn't), and that the more CRAP you jam into an ad, the more you are getting for your money. (You aren't - you're just getting a crap-filled as that nobody will stop to look at)

Overall, you're on the right track, so don't get discouraged by the crtiques. :)

Klean Kutz
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
No discouragement here, its the reason I put them on here, better to find mistakes now with diff eyes then to mass print them and have no chance at all, appreciate the info ill work on them and repost the image. Thanks for the input guys. As far as the pictures from best to worst. They r all three diff pics, the spray is the property line from one house to another, you can see the huge diff between the two yards.

Steve
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Has this discussion altered your design at all? If so, can we see what you came up with?

Klean Kutz
02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
here is an update

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RibbitLandscaping/organicfertpostcard-1.jpg

how does this one look?

Hedgemaster
02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Better and worse.

Worse, mainly just because the background now looks "dismal", and "muddy".
Better, because you took some of the advice and began getting things set up a little better.

A few things that come to mind. (in no particular order)

Your name should be down where it says "Starting at just $50..."

"Starting at just $50..." is something I MAY consider making smaller, but it depends on what you want the focus to be on - the price, or the product/service.

There should always be one "main point" that is the focus of an ad. You can certainly point out other things, but only one should be "the focus".
Too many people want the "focus" to be "this, and "this", and "this", AND "this"... OH, and "THIS TOO!". No, Pick one, and your ad will be better for it.

Speaking of the "product"... those three photos are essentially the same. I'd drop at least one of them. They are competing for space, and none of them "stand out". It often makes for a better presentation to have one large image and another smaller image.
The one that is furthest back may make a good background image for the entire card, and then place one of the other two much like you have them now.

As it stands, there is no "one" portion of the ad that "stands out". Something needs to be the focus. Perhaps "Organic Lawn Care"? If so, just make it bigger, bolder, and add an exclamation point! Get EXCITED! This is ORGANIC Lawn Care, BABY!!! ;)

Hope that helps! Any questions, just ask.

Klean Kutz
02-20-2011, 08:41 PM
ok here is another off of the tips, what ya think

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RibbitLandscaping/ribbitroofcleaning2.jpg

Hedgemaster
02-20-2011, 09:21 PM
That background image is unappealing. I suggest a "nice" shot of green grass for the background instead. The before/after shots get the point across well enough. You don't want "crappy" grass to be the focal point.
Plus it looks like that is a low resolution image - it doesn't look clear. Can't tell for sure though. It's hard communicating this way... I mean, the dead/good grass background could work, but I'd probably lose one of the smaller images, and really focus on... well, whatever your focus is.

The frog looks like he was just shot, and he's hanging on before slumping to the floor. ;)
He looked good where he was, and it makes much more sense to have your business name down there too.

I dunno... you haven't mentioned what you want to focus on, so it's hard to advise properly.

The colors of the text isn't bad, except for your name. That blue/black is impossible to read.

jymie
02-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Background image needs to be clearer. I would move your Company name, web address, phone number and your name to the bottom of the card into two lines centered.

Ribbitt Landscaping & Lawn Maintenance
Tony Cazort * (832) 769-1295 * Website Address * Email Address

Lose one of the photos, the point is made with one photo. There just seems to be too much of a crowded look to me.

I would then move the Starting @ $50 per application to upper right corner area.

Maybe go with this sentence, it cuts some of the words down and conveys the message better I think.

Our fully Organic, pesticide free application is safe for your family & pets.

Ducke
02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi me again
I agree with what I am reading here and the post card is evolving well.
much better then the very first post.
again though why the Tree Frog Your company name is Rabbit Landscaping and lawn maintenance not tree frog landscaping you need the reader to remember your name. "RABBIT"

Graham

Hedgemaster
02-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi me again
I agree with what I am reading here and the post card is evolving well.
much better then the very first post.
again though why the Tree Frog Your company name is Rabbit Landscaping and lawn maintenance not tree frog landscaping you need the reader to remember your name. "RABBIT"

Graham

You may have misread the name. I read it as "Rabbit" the first time I saw it... it's "Ribbit".
Frog make more sense now? ;)

Ducke
02-22-2011, 06:26 AM
You may have misread the name. I read it as "Rabbit" the first time I saw it... it's "Ribbit".
Frog make more sense now? ;)

well do I have egg on my face :o

But that just shows you we both saw it wrong it really needs to be clear and neat.

Hedgemaster
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
well do I have egg on my face :o

But that just shows you we both saw it wrong it really needs to be clear and neat.

Yes, although it could be a "font" issue - some fonts are easier to read than others. That, and the fact that the name wasn't/isn't down with the frog where it belongs. ;)

elrascal
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
A few things that come to mind. (in no particular order)

Your name should be down where it says "Starting at just $50..."

"Starting at just $50..." is something I MAY consider making smaller, but it depends on what you want the focus to be on - the price, or the product/service.

There should always be one "main point" that is the focus of an ad. You can certainly point out other things, but only one should be "the focus".
Too many people want the "focus" to be "this, and "this", and "this", AND "this"... OH, and "THIS TOO!". No, Pick one, and your ad will be better for it.

Speaking of the "product"... those three photos are essentially the same. I'd drop at least one of them. They are competing for space, and none of them "stand out". It often makes for a better presentation to have one large image and another smaller image.
The one that is furthest back may make a good background image for the entire card, and then place one of the other two much like you have them now.

As it stands, there is no "one" portion of the ad that "stands out". Something needs to be the focus. Perhaps "Organic Lawn Care"? If so, just make it bigger, bolder, and add an exclamation point! Get EXCITED! This is ORGANIC Lawn Care, BABY!!! ;)

Hope that helps! Any questions, just ask.

I agree with a lot of these points. A customer does not care about our business. They care about themselves. So never put your name at the top of the flyer.... Put the benefit to the customer. Some thing like

"Your neighbors will be jealous when they see you have the best looking lawn on the street. And best of all it is 100% organic!"

also you need to put a call to action in your flyer as well as a little bit of scarcity. Try some thing like.

"call us before the first of march and we will give you 50% of your first treatment."

Hope this helps.

Steve
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Tony is this helping you out? Is it giving you a bunch of ideas to think about and mull over?