PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Butt Clean Up

Shark1611
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
I just won an appartment bid and the PM wants all the butts out of the grass!! Man they have been there for some while and are Imbedded in the grass and dirt. Raking and blowing the only way to get these up? The Vacuum on my blower does not seem to suck very well. Any tips would be great to hear.

jklawncare
02-14-2011, 07:12 PM
convince the owner to tear up alll of the grass and re seed..it will make you money and will be easy hahaahah

no but
if you ahve a leaf vac i guess that would be my first thing to try

if not i suppose maybe a dethatcher set up real high to just scrape the surface or a power brush could loosen it all up and you could make some money back off that by considering it a spring dethatch?

just a couple ideas..would love to hear some others..im sre someone has a good fix for it.

fieroboi
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
My first thought would be to go in with a power rake and then run a lawn vac over the entire yard. Running the power rake high enough not to dethatch, but loosen up the debris and then the lawn vac, maybe twice if needed. I would charge him the same amount as I would for a dethatch and clean.

I know my lawn vac picks up butts, bottle caps and other things, plus it really gives the grass a lifted look.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta

jvholt
02-14-2011, 10:31 PM
I use to do a mall we just used leaf rakes to pick up cigarette butts. I always wondered how much money you could make if you knew how to recycle them.

Steve
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Can you take some picture too of the before and after?

Shark1611
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you guys I got some good ideas out of your comments. I will take some photos and then see how it all goes. You guys are great!!

Steve
02-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Which method have you decided to go with? Are you going to need more equipment to do this?

MAKLawnCutter
02-16-2011, 05:25 PM
how about... animal feces pick up?

Did you know, you can charge MORE to pick up trash on a large property? You can charge additional to pick up high amounts of debris?

Matt

LawnMoore
02-16-2011, 07:43 PM
how about... animal feces pick up?

Did you know, you can charge MORE to pick up trash on a large property? You can charge additional to pick up high amounts of debris?

Matt

Im not exactly understanding you, i know i charge more, for more work ofc ;)

Explain a scenario at "normal" prices and a scenario at "Charge More" prices please -_-

Shark1611
02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Went with raking them up and then using my vac. So far not too bad. Did not have to buy more equipment just have to work harder.

One thing is for sure.....I did not charge enough. But that is how we learn.

Steve
02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
One thing is for sure.....I did not charge enough. But that is how we learn.

This is a great point.

How long did you feel all this would take in the bid and how much extra time do you feel now you should have added to it?

Shark1611
05-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Here are the photo's of the "BUTT" clean up. This was done a few month ago so the way I keep them clean now is run my bag mower when I mow and it does a great job.

Well it will not let me upload them. Tells me I need to contact the host. Anyway I tried.

Steve
05-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Is it possible the pictures are just too big? Can you try to scale them down a bit and repost?

Shark1611
05-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Is it possible the pictures are just too big? Can you try to scale them down a bit and repost?

I do not know how to do that so i will ask one of my kids.