PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the North

krunchkat99
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi, I'm still at the wannabe stage, trying to get up the nerve to give up the regular job and start for myself. One major "fear factor" I have is the small population where I live. I may have to drive an hour to get to a decent sized city to get enough work. Maybe I could get half of my work near home and half in the city, wouldn't be so bad to travel 2-3 days maybe. Anyone else have a substantial commute to get to the bulk of your work? Anyway, enjoying the site. Hope all the new guys have a good start up year. Good Luck.

Steve
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Instead of going full steam into this new business, can you scale it up step by step? Do it on the side at first? Maybe also offer other services beyond lawn care? Maybe offer some simple home improvement services that your local residents might need?

That way you can learn as you go and see if the area can sustain you with work?

krunchkat99
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey Steve, It would be ideal to start up part-time but unfortunately my regular job pretty much rules that out. I am thinking that by offering multiple services that I may be able to get more work in my area. Have been thinking about offering siding cleaning and spreading of topsoil and doing new lawn installation,(I already own a skidsteer loader) but there is not much new growth in the area. Will do snow removal in winter. Maybe some small decking and landscaping jobs. Will probably be a year from now before I am ready to go.

Steve
02-16-2011, 12:14 PM
(I already own a skidsteer loader)

Wow! That is one heck of a piece of machinery to have now! What made you decide to get that while starting up?

Have you thought about focusing a lot of your services around that? Maybe other lawn care businesses in the area don't have such a piece of equipment and that could be your niche?

krunchkat99
02-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I have owned it for a few years, I have always wanted one so it's kind of a toy. I got it to do my own landscaping and snow removal. Still need a trailer capable to haul it with before I can really do much work with it. But yes, it would be a real asset to the business since it opens up more job possibilities. It was about 10 years old when I got it, it was previously a rental machine with lots of scars but solid mechanically. I cleaned it up and did a paintjob on it and have had great luck with it.

Steve
02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
What other kinds of services do you feel you could utilize your skid steer on?

krunchkat99
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
What other kinds of services do you feel you could utilize your skid steer on?

If I had some attachments for it like a sweeper or bush-hog I may pick up some work. If it was a decent sized job I could rent the attachments.

Steve
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh that is great! What about a box blade to smooth gravel roads or maybe even a fence post digger?

krunchkat99
02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Oh that is great! What about a box blade to smooth gravel roads or maybe even a fence post digger?

Yea, those are good ideas to. There are countless attachments you could use. Another I thought may be useful is a root grapple for reclaiming old fields that are overgrown with bushes.

Steve
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes! I could see that being very important. I would figure all these services could help you create a niche, most other start ups wouldn't be able to do. So this should help you get a jump on your local competitors.