PDA

View Full Version : generate new business?

sweetleaf landscaping
02-14-2011, 09:37 AM
How much new business do you guys feel having a website generates? Signage on your cargo trailer or truck? They really field phone calls?

Steve
02-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I would think its all a part of a bigger picture. All of these items together create this imagery of your business for the customer. The more professional you look, the easier it should be for you to sell.

sweetleaf landscaping
02-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Got ya. Im putting it all together now.

tricountylawncare
02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Having a website and getting it advertised with adwords on google,yahoo,bing ect. is huge. I just started my lawn business and have only been putting ads on craigslist and my website is one of the top sites when someone types in anything having to do with lawn care in my area. I am getting a lot of calls just from these 2 avenues. I don't think I am going to even need to put out fliers. I think having a nice website makes your business more professional and people feel more comfortable using your services.

Steve
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Can we see what your website looks like?

dforbes
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I would also be interested in veiwing your website.

tricountylawncare
02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
http://www.tricountylawncaresc.com

LawnMoore
02-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Nice work on site, as with mine in my sig, it seems about every 2 weeks i have something needing changed, and i think of something better for the site!

Keep up the good work.

Steve
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
it seems about every 2 weeks i have something needing changed, and i think of something better for the site!

What kinds of things have you found you needed to change recently?

thomas206
02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
How much new business do you guys feel having a website generates? Signage on your cargo trailer or truck? They really field phone calls?

I think when running your own business, your website is probably one of the MOST important ways to represent and generate your business. Knowing the basics of html, SEO (search engine optimization), social media marketing, website marketing and traditional marketing and sales are vital in really getting your website out there.

For the most part, the extent of how in depth you need to go in your website, depends on your business structure, whether you want to add any online transactions, etc. Here's an article that explains the importance of having a website: Pretty much, your main concerns should be SEO and web design. The look and feel of your website will draw the viewer to consider the business and SEO will bring the audience on clicking on your website in the first place. Finding ways to market your business will depend on who your customers are and what the best way to reach them is. If you're marketing to people who don't use computers, then it would make no sense in getting a website.

It really just depends on who your audience is for your business. If you customers find you through just local drive by's, then the signs would work well, or if they are somebody to Google everything, then a website is very important. Look back in your previous customers, and see what they have in common -it's also really useful to always ask how they were referred.

elrascal
02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Hi Sweetleaf. Yes having a website is defiantly worth it. But only if you know what to do with it. I currently generate 4- 10 new leads a week from mine and I have only had it up and running for about 6 weeks now.

It does not have to be fancy but you do need to know a few tricks if you want to do well.

For those of you who already have a website and want to learn how to get more leads then I will share with you some ideas. I will try and keep this as simple as possible.

First of all you want to get more links to your site. The more links you have the higher google will rank you and the more people that will go to your site. A good way to do this is to find out what directories your competition is listed in. To do this go to this site.
http://www.backlinkwatch.com/

enter the url adress of your competition in to the box. ( A really annoying pop up will apear but just close that and ignore it .)

Hit enter. You will now see all the links from other sites that go to that website. Go through them all and see if you can add your own site to them. A lot of these back links will be trash but just keep looking. Do the same thing over and over again with all of your other competitors and you will find some directories that you never new existed.

An other important step is to make sure you have the right keyword in the title of each page. If you have a lawn business called "grass hopper" and you are based in say, Florida, Dont have a title that say "At Grass Hopper we love to look after our customers." (or some other fancy headline.)

Instead have a head line Like "Lawn care Florida. Grass Hoppers offers lawn care Through out Florida." Not very catchy I know but it will rank you high in google for people who are typing in the words "Lawn care Florida."

Next add your site to google places (Actually you don't even need a site to be on google places.)
http://www.google.com/places/

Click on "places for business" and add your details. (they will send you a post card to confirm your address.) This will mean you show up on google maps.

Next we need to look at how your website is designed. What do you want people to do when they visit your site. Thats right you want them to make an enquiry! SO MAKE THAT THE MOST PROMINENT THING ON YOUR PAGE. Don't make people have to click on your contact us page in order to get your details. Your details should be on every page.

The next step is to make sure you have a call to action on each page. Actually ask visitor to contact you now for a free quote.

Vist Auckland landscapers (http://www.aucklandlandscapers.com/) To see what I mean about these last 2 steps.

I hope this helps you guys get a bit more value from your websites. I have kept this rather simple so that it is not to confusing. There is still a hell of a lot more that you can do.

adforester
02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't know anyone in my area that has a website and this is a VERY competitive and high class area, houses over 1 mill everywhere. I don't know why but no one seems to have a website, is it worth it?
not around here....

LawnMoore
02-22-2011, 05:57 PM
What kinds of things have you found you needed to change recently?

Mostly its seasonal advertising, like in the winter/fall i advertise more for leaf cleanups and stuff, and now i need to get it geared to new installs and mowing..

however, something has happened to my site editor mid update and i need to get on the hotline to fix that.

LawnMoore
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't know anyone in my area that has a website and this is a VERY competitive and high class area, houses over 1 mill everywhere. I don't know why but no one seems to have a website, is it worth it?
not around here....

Yes its worth it, if you use your website as a portfolio!

Showcase some of the nice work you have done, and lots of it, so customers can get an idea of what they might want.

assuming you do new installs

Growing Green
02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi Sweetleaf. Yes having a website is defiantly worth it. But only if you know what to do with it. I currently generate 4- 10 new leads a week from mine and I have only had it up and running for about 6 weeks now.

It does not have to be fancy but you do need to know a few tricks if you want to do well.

For those of you who already have a website and want to learn how to get more leads then I will share with you some ideas. I will try and keep this as simple as possible.

First of all you want to get more links to your site. The more links you have the higher google will rank you and the more people that will go to your site. A good way to do this is to find out what directories your competition is listed in. To do this go to this site.
http://www.backlinkwatch.com/

enter the url adress of your competition in to the box. ( A really annoying pop up will apear but just close that and ignore it .)

Hit enter. You will now see all the links from other sites that go to that website. Go through them all and see if you can add your own site to them. A lot of these back links will be trash but just keep looking. Do the same thing over and over again with all of your other competitors and you will find some directories that you never new existed.

An other important step is to make sure you have the right keyword in the title of each page. If you have a lawn business called "grass hopper" and you are based in say, Florida, Dont have a title that say "At Grass Hopper we love to look after our customers." (or some other fancy headline.)

Instead have a head line Like "Lawn care Florida. Grass Hoppers offers lawn care Through out Florida." Not very catchy I know but it will rank you high in google for people who are typing in the words "Lawn care Florida."

Next add your site to google places (Actually you don't even need a site to be on google places.)
http://www.google.com/places/

Click on "places for business" and add your details. (they will send you a post card to confirm your address.) This will mean you show up on google maps.

Next we need to look at how your website is designed. What do you want people to do when they visit your site. Thats right you want them to make an enquiry! SO MAKE THAT THE MOST PROMINENT THING ON YOUR PAGE. Don't make people have to click on your contact us page in order to get your details. Your details should be on every page.

The next step is to make sure you have a call to action on each page. Actually ask visitor to contact you now for a free quote.

Vist Auckland landscapers (http://www.aucklandlandscapers.com/) To see what I mean about these last 2 steps.

I hope this helps you guys get a bit more value from your websites. I have kept this rather simple so that it is not to confusing. There is still a hell of a lot more that you can do.

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that you have a misspelling in your introductory paragraph on your site. Not sure if you did that on purpose to hit another key word.

"If you are looking for a great landscpe design team to help build your dream garden then you have come to the right place. Auckland landscapers offers a wide range of garden care and design services. Any thing from lawn maintenance to tree removal we would love to help you out."

Missing "a" in landscape.

Take care,
Matt

elrascal
02-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that you have a misspelling in your introductory paragraph on your site. Not sure if you did that on purpose to hit another key word.

"If you are looking for a great landscpe design team to help build your dream garden then you have come to the right place. Auckland landscapers offers a wide range of garden care and design services. Any thing from lawn maintenance to tree removal we would love to help you out."

Missing "a" in landscape.

Take care,
Matt

Hi Matt, Yeah my whole site is riddled with spelling mistakes... I wasn't actually expecting my site to take off as quick as it did so still haven't gotten around to fixing it.

robgee05
02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Has anyone used merchant circle to promote their business or website here. I received a promo code to list my site with search maps and phone and navi system gps maps. It doesnt seem like a bad deal for $75.

Here is the code if anyone is interested: vZPeK Here is what the ad says: "These days, everyone is on the go. Make sure your business can be found on the mobile phones of potential customers with MerchantCircle's Local Directory Service. Pay only one time and get your business listed on Google, TomTom, Bing, AOL, OnStar, and many more- for life!" Tell me what you guys think before I waste $75.

Thanks
Rob
www.rkpowerwashing.com

www.SJpropertymaintenance.com

elrascal
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Has anyone used merchant circle to promote their business or website here. I received a promo code to list my site with search maps and phone and navi system gps maps. It doesnt seem like a bad deal for $75.

Here is the code if anyone is interested: vZPeK Here is what the ad says: "These days, everyone is on the go. Make sure your business can be found on the mobile phones of potential customers with MerchantCircle's Local Directory Service. Pay only one time and get your business listed on Google, TomTom, Bing, AOL, OnStar, and many more- for life!" Tell me what you guys think before I waste $75.

Thanks
Rob
www.rkpowerwashing.com

Hi Rob, IT really ain't that hard to list yourself with these websites. It might take half an hour or so. I wouldn't pay $75 for that

Growing Green
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks
Rob
www.rkpowerwashing.com

I have my site listed on merchantcircle. Haven't generated any business off of it, but it does generate another google search if people search for lawn service. I use the free service that they offer.

Matt