PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Hello, my name is George. I am 45. I work full time for our local sheriff's department. I am a sergeant in the jail. I have almost completed 21 years there, and I have a little over 4 years until I retire. I started mowing with a friend of mine in 2005. In 2007, I bought into the business as a partner. The end of 2008, he decided he was done with the business, and I took it over. In 2009, I renamed the business. I actually worked for the biggest LCO in the county for a little while almost 30 years ago. Imagine if I would have stayed with it then. After I retire, I plan on expanding my business.

Hedgemaster
02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow! Look at all the illegal operators heading for the hills!

:D LOL!

Welcome. Sounds like you have considerably more experience than me. Feel free to share what you know with us noobs whenever you can.

Steve
02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I started mowing with a friend of mine in 2005. In 2007, I bought into the business as a partner. The end of 2008, he decided he was done with the business, and I took it over.

Do you feel you learned a lot from working with your friend? Do any lessons stand out?

Also, as you have seen your friend want to move on from the business, do you have thoughts on as to why? Was it burn out? Are there lessons that were learned from him as far as that goes so you don't get to the point, anytime soon, where you feel like you are done with it?

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes, I learned a lot from working with my friend. No lessons really stand out, but he pointed out some better ways to do some stuff.

He was getting aggravated that we did not triple our accounts that year and have 3 crews on the road, and make all this money. He wanted him and I to go to different job sites and just inspect. His numbers all sounded good, but I realize you have to build gradually, and he did not. He got disheartened because it did not happen right away. His allergies also bothered him a lot, and he was making good money as a bartender.

As far as me getting to that point, I still enjoy going out and cutting, and interacting with my customers. I make good money as a sergeant, and I started out doing this for some extra money. I have worked 2 jobs since 1990. Before I started cutting, I worked for a super market for 22 years. I retire from the department in 4 years, and I will need to do something. I plan on building the business gradually until then, and then expand it so I am booked all week.

950thomas
02-17-2011, 10:21 PM
That's the smart way to build your business I started with one mower 10 years ago and grew slow and now I have 10 trucks and a shop plus I started off part time as well I use to be a diesel mechanic

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
10 trucks? Wow, that is awesome. Not sure if I want to get that big, but close. Thanks

andersontl2
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Blue Star Lawn Care loves Anacott Steel.

Sorry couldn't pass it up!

Best of luck to you!

950thomas
02-18-2011, 03:29 PM
The bigger u are the more headaches u have but being big has its advantages

Steve
02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
He was getting aggravated that we did not triple our accounts that year and have 3 crews on the road, and make all this money. He wanted him and I to go to different job sites and just inspect. His numbers all sounded good, but I realize you have to build gradually, and he did not. He got disheartened because it did not happen right away. His allergies also bothered him a lot, and he was making good money as a bartender.

When he was looking at tripling his accounts, what was his plan on how he was actually going to do that?

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-19-2011, 01:52 AM
The bigger u are the more headaches u have but being big has its advantages

True. Maybe when I retire, I can start thinking about employees.

Blue Star Lawn Care
02-19-2011, 01:55 AM
When he was looking at tripling his accounts, what was his plan on how he was actually going to do that?

He just thought because I came on as a partner, our accounts would grow exponentially. He had all the numbers, as far as you make this much with 1 crew on the road, and THIS much with 2 and 3 crews on the road.

That is another thing, we could not find any one with a license to get the first crew on the road.

Steve
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
So you will be running this as a side business now, until you retire? It sounds like you got a good thing going there.

Are you looking to build it up much now or do you want to keep it with just a single crew until you can get in and run it fulltime?