PDA

View Full Version : New Mower

kevin_naecker
02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey everyone. Has anyone bought any new equipment for the up coming season? I am looking at getting a new mower something around a 46" or 48". I have been interested in the standers but i do not know for sure i like the wright stander from just the show room. I would try them all out for a demo but there is still snow on the ground. I am running 2 36" walk behinds now and a 60" kubota zero turn. what do you all recomend and use?and has anyone owned or own a stander?

Steve
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
From past discussions on it, the wright stander seemed to be the favorite of that type of mower. Are you going to hold off purchase until you can demo it?

kevin_naecker
02-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Unless the price cant be beat i will hold off until i can demo.

cuneio's lawn mowing
02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Hey everyone. Has anyone bought any new equipment for the up coming season? I am looking at getting a new mower something around a 46" or 48". I have been interested in the standers but i do not know for sure i like the wright stander from just the show room. I would try them all out for a demo but there is still snow on the ground. I am running 2 36" walk behinds now and a 60" kubota zero turn. what do you all recomend and use?and has anyone owned or own a stander?

hey this is dean. i just recently bought a fairly new mower called a great dane surfer 52''. it is a stander. it is best mower i have ever had. the stand on mowers are a lot safer too. if your on a steep slope and starts to flip you just step off of it. plus when standing on a mower you can see whats in front of the mower before you hit an object, and you stay more alert standing up

Steve
02-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Have you found any downsides to that style mower?

xpertlawnman
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I have tested out and priced the Scag V Ride, Toro Grandstand, Wright Stander and Exmark Vantage. I was looking at a 36",but because of the smaller tires on the 36" and the weight I feel there could be rutting issues with that size. I think the 48" may not rut as much, since it has wider drive tires. From what I have seen they are all decent units. I believe the Wright is the most compact and handles hills pretty easily. The V Ride left a nice cut and was also well built. The Vantage and Grandstand are similar models, but the Vantage uses rods instead of cables, which is a plus. I thought these two standers had a more spacious platform to stand on which made it more comfortable. They also left a great looking cut. The V Ride has fleet pricing until the end of Feb., a 48" was quoted at $6600. The Exmark has fleet pricing until the end of May with a similar price tag.
I am looking to replace a WB, I am just not sure if a stander can go in all of the areas my WB can. Any productivity gained with the speed and agility of stander, could easily be offsetted by me having to break out a pushmower for hills and in wet conditions. I might hold off on a purchase until I can demo one for a day on some of my accounts.

cuneio's lawn mowing
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Have you found any downsides to that style mower?

yes it bounces a little more than others but it is a fixed deck and you have to get floor jacks out and wrenches out to change the cuting hiegt

cuneio's lawn mowing
02-18-2011, 08:58 AM
I have tested out and priced the Scag V Ride, Toro Grandstand, Wright Stander and Exmark Vantage. I was looking at a 36",but because of the smaller tires on the 36" and the weight I feel there could be rutting issues with that size. I think the 48" may not rut as much, since it has wider drive tires. From what I have seen they are all decent units. I believe the Wright is the most compact and handles hills pretty easily. The V Ride left a nice cut and was also well built. The Vantage and Grandstand are similar models, but the Vantage uses rods instead of cables, which is a plus. I thought these two standers had a more spacious platform to stand on which made it more comfortable. They also left a great looking cut. The V Ride has fleet pricing until the end of Feb., a 48" was quoted at $6600. The Exmark has fleet pricing until the end of May with a similar price tag.
I am looking to replace a WB, I am just not sure if a stander can go in all of the areas my WB can. Any productivity gained with the speed and agility of stander, could easily be offsetted by me having to break out a pushmower for hills and in wet conditions. I might hold off on a purchase until I can demo one for a day on some of my accounts.

i have yoused a toro grandstand with another lawn company and great mower i have mowed hills with it that i couldint ed walk on

wandfsmall
02-18-2011, 09:50 AM
hey this is dean. i just recently bought a fairly new mower called a great dane surfer 52''. it is a stander. it is best mower i have ever had. the stand on mowers are a lot safer too. if your on a steep slope and starts to flip you just step off of it. plus when standing on a mower you can see whats in front of the mower before you hit an object, and you stay more alert standing up

That is not a bad mower, we could not seem to sell them in our area but I liked the Great Dane. By the way you will hear that they went out of business if you look for parts. Remember to look for a gravely dealer, I think they moved it to the gravely lineup.