PDA

View Full Version : Parts at Great Prices Northern New York Parts

nnyparts
02-13-2011, 03:47 AM
For you guys out there looking for parts, why not see if we can help. We have access to over 2.4 million parts...OEM and Aftermarket, we also have access to good used parts and that comes in handy on the older machines that parts have become obsolete and we ship anywhere.

From fuel treatments (this ethanol has been a pain in the backside) to mower belts and blades. We are willing to give extra discounts to you guys that buy in volume. Anything over $100.00 is free S&H...yep, that includes blades also.

Interested? Send me a list of the parts you normally buy in the spring to get you started for the year...filters, belts, blades, twine, bump feeders and more and I will put together a price list. We also carry all the accessories for your open and enclosed trailers from trimmer trap to hold and house your equipment.

Steve
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Do you find from time to time you have any specials you promote? Or sales?

I'd love to see some of your specials being posted. It might get members to jump on the opportunity.

nnyparts
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the welcome to the group and we would love to help anyone here get the parts they need at a great price. What we do offer is discounts for volume orders. In all honesty, it would be easier to list who we aren't dealers for at this point.

We have really worked hard to get where were at by just using straight up honesty and trying to be fair with everyone. On some things you may be able to get them cheaper...but what kind of service are you going to get after the sale when things go wrong.

We do enough volume a month to get us great savings with companies like Stens, Oregon, Honda, MTD, Briggs, Tecumseh ( we can still get the parts even though they went bankrupt) as well as a few others. We offer our customers the option of OEM or aftermarket parts...plus Honda, Briggs & Kohler engines direct.

We don't just sell parts....we run a full service repair shop with over 30 years experience in the business. We know what we sell and how to install it when folks need a hand. So if you guys are looking for the best deals...its volume. Most of you already know what you are going to need for this coming season that needs to be in stock when something breaks. We also sell used parts!

Postage is a killer, so the smaller the orders unless their carb kits or something light will mean higher postage costs and that has to be figured in on all sales. All I can say is if your happy with the people your buying from and their treating you good...stick with them, if not...give us a shot.

wandfsmall
02-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the welcome to the group and we would love to help anyone here get the parts they need at a great price. What we do offer is discounts for volume orders. In all honesty, it would be easier to list who we aren't dealers for at this point.

We have really worked hard to get where were at by just using straight up honesty and trying to be fair with everyone. On some things you may be able to get them cheaper...but what kind of service are you going to get after the sale when things go wrong.

We do enough volume a month to get us great savings with companies like Stens, Oregon, Honda, MTD, Briggs, Tecumseh ( we can still get the parts even though they went bankrupt) as well as a few others. We offer our customers the option of OEM or aftermarket parts...plus Honda, Briggs & Kohler engines direct.

We don't just sell parts....we run a full service repair shop with over 30 years experience in the business. We know what we sell and how to install it when folks need a hand. So if you guys are looking for the best deals...its volume. Most of you already know what you are going to need for this coming season that needs to be in stock when something breaks. We also sell used parts!

Postage is a killer, so the smaller the orders unless their carb kits or something light will mean higher postage costs and that has to be figured in on all sales. All I can say is if your happy with the people your buying from and their treating you good...stick with them, if not...give us a shot.

Wow most shops that have been around for 30 years do not deal in used parts. I do not even know of any that do any real volume of parts that sell used parts. Too hard to catalog and test each and every part, and it is a risk to the customer if you dont.

I found it to be too much work, if I charged for the labor it took to test each part I could sell them new parts cheaper. I do however keep and give away bolts in some cases.

wandfsmall
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey wait a sec, I was looking at your site for ideas of how to sort items. And your site said you just opened up in 2009 to help a neighbor how do you have 30 years in the biz?

nnyparts
02-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Hi Wandfsmall,

You would be surprised at the amount of people out there in this economy that choose used over new. It usually falls into two categories...the part is obsolete and we can't get it new or their buying it because its usually 1/3 of the cost of new.

Most Shops as you put it are also carrying floor plans with different dealerships and making their monies on sales and warranty work. I have two cousins local to us that are doing over 750K in sales and service, do floor planning with a number of companies and pay the bills with warranty work in the shop.

How can one have over 30 yrs experience with starting in 09'? We only show part of the business there. We are also have our CAGE & DUNNS numbers to deal directly with any state or federal agency and contract bids. We have someone in place there that has been in this realm since the late 80's as well as three others that deal only with the on-line side of the business. Actually if I sat down and did a full accounting it would be well over 30 with just our contract bids employee.

Like I said before...were straight up...try to be as honest as possible and help others when we can. I even offered to help you if you had any questions or concerns with your store because I know how much work goes into building a on-line business. I also know most of the pitfalls with falling into them myself. There is more than enough room for all of us to try and make a living without putting another down to get ahead

wandfsmall
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I apologize about the tone of my post. I read your post about 30 years of experience and then read your about us section and see you opened up in 2009. I appreciate your offer of help, that is what this site is for. In fact I agree with your comments about my websites sort order, I had been working on it prior but I am even changing that around to a new system after looking at a few other sites. A suggestion of mine for you is in the first section of your site I would explain how your staff has 30 year of experienced as when I read it I did not see that. I do not list everyones years in experience added together as I do not think people would believe it if I posted we had 120 years experience working on equipment, when all of the mechanics added up equal that. I also do not think that would be honest of me, as the guy with 30 years of experience knows more then all of the others and rarely do we contribute anything he does not already know. But I also understand when your starting a new business claiming all of the experience you can. I claimed the experience of our first shop when I opened the second location up. I passed it off as valid as I was moving staff from the first shop to the new location, and had our main location supporting us.

In all fairness your site is not bad though, you are correct in your site is more secure then a lot of popular sites online. Anytime your credit card will be charged later you run the risk of someone storing your credit card data. And in the worst case it is stored on a website database that could be hacked. Your site is also zencart a popular web store system that has ongoing support. I looked at zencart and almost used it but magento integrates better with my point of sale system and is just as secure.

Steve
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
are also carrying floor plans

What does that mean?

wandfsmall
02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
What does that mean?

mowers are expensive items, so instead of paying for them most dealers that have enough credit put the mowers on a floor plan or secured loan. The mower manufacture will likely pay the interest for say 6 months before you have to pay anything for the mower or any interest. Once you sell a mower you have to pay it off even if the mower is not due.

It basically allows us to stock more equipment without huge debt. We also have floor plans for stock, for example I have just over $30,000 with one of my parts suppliers so that I can order parts and pay for them at the end of the month. Or as a spring order in 3 payments due May June and July

Floor plans normally only come in when you carry equipment.

Steve
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh that is fascinating!

Are there things that you enjoy about being an equipment dealer versus not so much?

wandfsmall
02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh that is fascinating!

Are there things that you enjoy about being an equipment dealer versus not so much?

like any job you have good and bad.

The bad
As with mowing you have lowballers that do not pay taxes nor have insurance driving down the prices. And our expenses are a LOT higher then a lawn care operation. For example I have a few hundred thousand in parts and do not have everything in stock, I try to do the best I can but nobody has everything. New equipment for example is not that profitable, I carry it so that I get better discounts on parts, it seems that the better your shop looks the more you get calls when deals come up. We make our money on parts and service. We just bring people in the door with mowers. Most customers always think walmart, or homedepot are cheaper. I know of items I sell for $2.50 for over $15 at walmart and home depot by the way. So if you look into you will find otherwise.

The Good
when you get large enough you can take a vacation without your customers getting upset. Being on location you can keep a better eye on your employees and business. You always have a new mower as you can sell yours often:) And although most lawn shops will tell you a lot of commercial cutters are hard to deal with, you have those that make your life better, the ones that become your friends more then customers.

wandfsmall
02-20-2011, 03:10 PM
an example of how we have lowballers I saw an ad in the paper this week.

$39 rider service that includes oil oil filter air filter sharpening the blades cleaning the carborator, new spark plugs, and cleaning the mower

now I am guessing that they do not grease but I would also bet they do not do all of that for every rider as I have many an air filter that cost more then that, and carb kits run up to $20.

They also did $29 chainsaws and weedeaters. I have a few stihl chainsaws I am thinking about taking them, the air filters for them are that high and they also all need new carb kits. Gotta love this great fuel....

nnyparts
02-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Hey Steve,

Things we found when trying to set-up shop and sell locally....

1. We found it hard to compete with big box stores on prices of new lawn and garden machines. Yes they carry specific models that we dealers can't get and they buy in enough volume to keep their prices low. We don't floor plan as not to tie up too much money that we could use elsewhere, but can and do order specific machines for customers @ 10% over our cost.

2. If you can't beat them....join them. The above stores rarely do any service or warranty work on those machines their selling. We approached them and now do that work...and now work together.

3."we have lowballers" Actually what we have is a lot of people out of work trying to get by, by doing whatever it takes to feed their families and pay the bills. Some get in over their heads quickly with not knowing that each machine requires different filters and some of these wholesale for over 40.00 and telling they can do a complete service for 39.00.

I try to help everyone and am more than willing and do give these guys discounts on parts. I watch for patterns and can pretty much pick them out by their orders and shoot them an email offering to give them discounts if they stick with us. We will see less of them once the economy turns around and they get back to work.

4. I love meeting with people and like the catch phrase of "A stranger is just a friend you have yet to meet". Not sure who said it, but it rings true. I think the biggest reason our business has been successful is the way we build trust. See...your not selling a riding mower...your selling yourself, business and letting the customer know you "are" going to be there to go above and beyond well after the sale.

Does your word mean anything and what kind of a reputation do you have in the community your selling in. Do you give back to the community? What comes around goes around three fold.

Same holds true for you lawn care guys....your not selling a yard care business...your selling yourself in that they can trust you to do what you say you will do. Do exactly that and a little more to boot. Sell low - deliver high! Don't ever tell someone you can do something and then not be able to deliver. As they say ...bad news travels fast.

Don't fake it as it never works. If you could care less about the customer & employees and all you care about is the sale...it will show. You either need to take acting lessons or find a new line of work.

Steve
02-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Does it ever drive you crazy the contracts you have to sign up with to become dealers of equipment? Or to sell parts? It seems like it is quite complicated.

nnyparts
02-22-2011, 02:52 AM
Each company has their own set of hoops that you need to jump through to become a dealer for them. Common ones are a tax number and credit check. Next comes a minimum total of all orders for the year. For example if you want to be a Honda dealer....expect to buy upfront a minimum of 4 engines, their basic parts inventory, CD, Web access and more....it starts to add up when your paying out of pocket.

The hardest part for us was getting a system in place to make sure all parts get ordered and shipped on a daily bases. We order directly from 11 different companies just about every M-F...so keeping track can become a pain and then inventorying the stuff as it comes in is time consuming and then turning around and repackaging to ship out the same day to our customers is also very time consuming.

Most outfits will take orders all week and then make one big order and the end of the week to their distributor to save on shipping costs. We found that most of our customers need it now...not in two weeks. So we order daily and its not that uncommon to have over two orders in the same day to the same company.

So....Does it ever drive you crazy the contracts you have to sign up with to become dealers of equipment? All the time! Its not for the faint of heart or people that are not willing to work 7 days a week sometimes 16 to 18 hour days. That's what happens when you sign on the dotted line.

wandfsmall
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Each company has their own set of hoops that you need to jump through to become a dealer for them. Common ones are a tax number and credit check. Next comes a minimum total of all orders for the year. For example if you want to be a Honda dealer....expect to buy upfront a minimum of 4 engines, their basic parts inventory, CD, Web access and more....it starts to add up when your paying out of pocket.

The hardest part for us was getting a system in place to make sure all parts get ordered and shipped on a daily bases. We order directly from 11 different companies just about every M-F...so keeping track can become a pain and then inventorying the stuff as it comes in is time consuming and then turning around and repackaging to ship out the same day to our customers is also very time consuming.

Most outfits will take orders all week and then make one big order and the end of the week to their distributor to save on shipping costs. We found that most of our customers need it now...not in two weeks. So we order daily and its not that uncommon to have over two orders in the same day to the same company.

So....Does it ever drive you crazy the contracts you have to sign up with to become dealers of equipment? All the time! Its not for the faint of heart or people that are not willing to work 7 days a week sometimes 16 to 18 hour days. That's what happens when you sign on the dotted line.

I am surprised you do not have a set time to send in your orders. Most computer systems run reports for orders you can just type them in and send. At the freight costs we have you would save a fortune vs sending in 2 orders to the same company. Some of the overpriced systems will even do the orders for you for Briggs and Kohler distributors.

Honda and Kawasaki are the only ones we have on their own, every other brand has something else we might want to get on the order as well.

wandfsmall
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Does it ever drive you crazy the contracts you have to sign up with to become dealers of equipment? Or to sell parts? It seems like it is quite complicated.

The bad thing is in most cases to sell parts for a piece of equipment you have to be a dealer for it. Echo and Snapper went threw a time where you could just sign up for service work and some dealers still have them. Also for Poulan, and MTD you can just do service work as for the most part they are not profitable to sell. You can get aftermarket parts for most of the equipment but to get an OEM part you do have to be a dealer.

You also find that carb kits, and primer bulbs from stens and oregon are higher then from Zama, and Walbro.

Steve
02-23-2011, 02:19 PM
How good are the aftermarket parts compared with the OEM parts?

Are there any mower manufacturers that you can sell their products without having to be in a contract to buy X amount per year from them? Or is that just how they all do it? What about Better Mowers with their quick 36". They don't seem to have dealers so could you still sell their products and not need a contract? Would that work out better for the reseller?

nnyparts
02-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Hey Steve,

We sell both and leave it up to our customer to decide which is best for them. What I can tell you is that one of the companies we deal with comes a full 1 year warranty against defects and quality workmanship whereas most of our OEM parts come with a 90 day.

A lot of the time we are actually seeing where the aftermarket parts exceed the OEM parts their replacing. Just depends on where the parts are coming from. Even many of the Aftermarkets say manufactured by the OEM companies coming from the same location and manufacturing plants.

Windfsmall... I am not sure what companies that you deal with and the programs you fall into, but we can order either on-line or by phone by any of the companies we deal with. One company for instance has 9 warehouses throughout the US. You get assigned to one and if their out, you get placed on back order. We do enough sales a year to have access to all of them at anytime with the same shipping rates and pull what we need at anytime.

There are no set rules that pertain to all dealers. The more you buy, the more services are available and the better the prices are. We do the same thing for our customers. If your buying a set of blades and belts for one mower you can get the discounted prices in our on-line store and if its over 100.00 you also get free S&H. If your looking to buy over a 1000.00 in parts at once...we offer discounts to those businesses. The next discount is at 5K and there are a couple of sets beyond that that are usually retailers.

wandfsmall
02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a different opinion of after-market products.

Blades I personally like Oregon blades, they seem to last longer then anything else out. You will also find most commercial units come with Oregon blades.

Air Filters it depends on the filters, for the most part Oregon and Stens have decent after-market filters but not in all cases, But I have seen some real junk with some of the others.

Oil filters both Stens and Oregon make oil filters with the correct stats but NOT all after-market oil filters even list the micron filtration and bypass PSI.

Belts I personally like Oregon, Stens and PIX but you have to make sure you get a lawn and garden belt, PIX and gates make fractional belts that will shred quickly. I have also found some of the MTD after-market belts are the wrong size.

wandfsmall
02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Windfsmall... I am not sure what companies that you deal with and the programs you fall into, but we can order either on-line or by phone by any of the companies we deal with. One company for instance has 9 warehouses throughout the US. You get assigned to one and if their out, you get placed on back order. We do enough sales a year to have access to all of them at anytime with the same shipping rates and pull what we need at anytime.

I am in the center of the US so I come out of the main warehouse for Stens in fact they are only about 45 min from us, but I thought that they let anyone order out of any warehouse they wanted. We also have distributors and are authorized for the following products.

Engines; Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, Subaru, Lawson(techumseh) Generac, Yamakoyo, and the MTD engine made in china.

Transmissions; Hydrogear, Pearless

2-Cycle; Redmax, Husquvarna(AYP includes Poulan), Echo, MTD.

Mowers; Hustler, Bobcat, Husquvarna(AYP), Troy Built(MTD)

Turf Equipment; Ryan, PECO

One Question I have for you is what are the laws about using a brand logo on your site. I thought I could only use the logos of the brands I have. I noticed you have craftsman on your site as do a lot of others do you know what the law says you can do?

nnyparts
02-28-2011, 01:38 AM
I will try my best at the Craftsman questions as it relates to a lot of sellers. If they are getting OEM AYP parts...these are Craftsman, Husqvarna from the OEM company.

As to Stens...they are a great company to do business with and what most don't realize is they they are carrying a lot of OEM's especially Kohler parts. I got lucky and have great sales reps for all the suppliers we deal with and the majority will bend over backwards to help. I would hope that our customers would say the same.

I do wish you the best!