PDA

View Full Version : Mower Trade in Value

Deathcat1
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian

wellbiz
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Thought I would come here due to the overwhelming amount of support you guys offer and advice; I have a quick question. I am looking to upgrade my mower this season, and currently have a 2007 (I believe) Exmark Viking. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the resale/trade in value. The mower was used commercially, and roughly has 400-500 hours on it, ECS, Hydro, 15 HP, very good condition. I'd love to keep it for a back up, but if I can get a decent amount out of it, I would roll that into a used Lazer. (Which I now need, due to business growing rapidly this last 2 years). I really don't have any small gated properties, so I don't think I'll need it if I have a 60.

Any suggestions what the mower could be worth, or any websites I can go to check? I tried on ebay, but it didn't seem to have many listings for a 48 right now. I would like to know what I can sell it for, before I negotiate at my local dealer, or before I put it up for sale.

Thanks guys!

Brian

Do you have any pictures to post. Really hard to tell the condition of a machine without seeing it. Every area is however going to be different on price.

wandfsmall
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
try asking your dealer, he would have an idea of its local value. Trade in's for mowers are not like cars. Most of the time we sit on them forever and for the most part break even on average after service and repair of the bad trades. Dealers take trades because we are expected to by customers. I am sure he will give you honest values and not try to push you into trading with him.

Deathcat1
02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian

nnyparts
02-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.

wellbiz
02-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I do not have any current pictures of the mower, since it is in storage. I could always bring it out and take a photo, however here in Detroit Metro where I live, its about -5 degrees out, and I don't think that's something I'm interested in doing right now!

I will have to decide whether the dealers trade in is great, or if its a low offer, I will just have to sell it personally. I deal with a great local company in Farmington, and they've yet to steer me wrong, so I have faith in them. I understand where they are coming from too in a resale situation, but I do not want to end up selling a mower for a grand, when it could be worth 2, or even more.

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Brian

Brian,

I am from Livonia, if you are interested in selling I am interested. I have been looking for a ZTR or stander for some of my big accounts, but a 48 walk behind would also work... Keep me in mind if you want to sell.

Jay

Deathcat1
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey Brian,

Lawn mowers are very different than cars in that we don't have NADA or sites that display what a mower should be worth depending on its age, model, hours and condition.

We sell around 100 used riding mowers every year and my tendency is that if the mower is in excellent condition (we service and repair anything prior to the sale) with 400 hours and has been commercially used that it be priced around half of what one would cost the prospective buyer if they bought new.

What you need to do is come up with a price that you are comfortable with. What did it cost you when you bought it, did you put the 400 hours on it and how much per hour was it worth to you? I also assume you depreciated it on your taxes so that's worth a little and finally....whats a back-up mower worth to you.

In the event that the new one breaks down....that mower might be worth quite a bit to you.

Nnyparts,

That is great information there. Thank you. I did buy the mower brand new for $5300. I have a brand new sulky unit (purchased late Sept last season) that I would be selling with it. I appreciate the perspective on downtime and having it as a back up too.

I don't know if every dealer does this, but the place where I get my equipment from, for a reasonable fee, has a "zero down time" policy, so if your mower does break, if they can't fix it with in an hour, they will give you a loaner until it is fixed. That has always been a great mental stress reliever for me in that area. One less thing I have to worry about!

I think a reasonable price range would be some where between 2-3 range, just from my observations so far. That is a hell of a deal for a mower that probably retails over $5500(?) now, especially since I believe the condition is pretty good. Image was always a big deal for me, being new (going into 4th season), people expect that professional look, so I always tried to keep my equipment clean.

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian

wellbiz
02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Nnyparts,

PS. Jay, feel free to touch base with me anytime if you would like to talk more about the mower. I live right in the Novi/Wixom area. 248 787 1846.

Thanks again for the feedback! It's very appreciated.
Brian

Brian,

Great. I will give you a call.

Jay