PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where I stand...?

newguy3344
02-10-2011, 12:46 AM
I have had a business for several years, and I am getting out of it. I am not sure where I stand now... I have been offered a job working with another small business that does lawn care, but the problem I run into is I dont want to go build his business when I feel like I can build my own. I have done some mowing in the past for family and have knowledge of landscape lighting and irragation. I feel like I have an advantage to starting and running a business because of my knowledge, but I do have somethings to learn about lawn care. This forum has provided alot of info, but do I start my own business or go work for someone else? I have some equipment to get started but not sure what to do. I wanna look at the big picture and provide a good living for my family. I have the drive, but I also am wondering about going into business with a partner. We work very well together, but do I take the risk? Or do I just work for someone that has already built a business and risk it not working out? These are my questions and concerns, please feel free to comment. Thanks and HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Steve
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Tell us a little about the business you are getting out of and why you decided to get out of it? Maybe some of those same factors would effect your interest or ability in starting another business.

newguy3344
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I cant give much info on the business I am getting out of but it was pet containment and a very high end product. I love customer service and seeing a happy customer at the end of each job! Also I owned a dealership and big brother corp. forced me out over a period of time. I will never work for a corporation again!!!!!!! I put 10 yrs of blood sweet and tears into a business and got my heart ripped out! So time to move on!

Steve
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I am not sure where I stand now... I have been offered a job working with another small business that does lawn care, but the problem I run into is I dont want to go build his business when I feel like I can build my own.

Where do you feel you stand now with all of this, as you have had more time to think about it?

Are there pro's and con's you could list about the different choices?

newguy3344
02-23-2011, 12:43 AM
ok well I have been able to get out of my previous business and ready to get my stuff together and start preping for my mowing business. I have some background in irragation, landscape lighting and mowing, I figure with my business background I can run another type of business too. A friend asked me if I had a zero turn,(i dont) but said he could get me 2 apartment contracts, but if didnt have zero turn it would take me too long. I dont have the money to invest in a zero turn mower right now but The mowing season will start in next 4-6 weeks and would really like to get some contracts to get started. Any advice? Thanks Shaun

Steve
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Is your friend in the industry? Could he lend you a zero turn for that job? If not, could he lend you money for a used one if you were able to land those contracts?

newguy3344
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Is your friend in the industry? Could he lend you a zero turn for that job? If not, could he lend you money for a used one if you were able to land those contracts?

No He is in the carpet cleaning business. I have worked a deal with my dad and He is lending me His cub tractor LT1042. I would love to land a couple of the se contracts, so should I bid them and hope for the best or what is your recommendation?

AttractiveLandscape
02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Although a 0-turn would be ideal it is not a necessity. If your just starting out then obviously you will be doing most of the work and your overhead is going to be minimal therefore you can take a little more time on lawns. Go for the (2) apartment buildings and go for as many others contracts you can get as long as you can complete then in a weeks time with the equipment you have currently. Once you have built some capital/equity go to your local credit union with a list of your contracts and bank statement and request a small equipment loan. Get yourself a good used 0-turn and get your current lawns done faster. Once you see how fast your getting lawns done you can determine how many more you can take on. Good luck!:)

Steve
02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Usually we don't see new lawn care business owners jump into commercial work for a while. First off because they usually require a couple million dollars in liability insurance and secondly because they haven't learned the ropes of bidding smaller properties yet.

With these two commercial properties you want to bid on. Have you measured out the square footage of lawn you will need to cut? Or measured the linear feet of trimming or edging you will need to do?

Do you have a list of services they want? Is there a way for you to get your hands on last years bid to see what the previous company charged?