PDA

View Full Version : Laid Off In Florida

tbgunn
02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Hello all. Thanks Steve for the great website. There is a ton of info here. I worked as a landscape architect in Florida for 12 years before being laid off in 2009. I rolled right into starting my own company. I started out offering design, installation, and maintenance services, not sure which of those services would take off. My intention was to let the market dictate where I focus my efforts. Well, after 15 months, I am busy with all 3 aspects of the business. They have all sort of grown together. I have about 12 maintenance accounts, have done about 7 or 8 residential installations, and done about $20K in landscape design. I have lots of opportunity in front of me. Thus far, I have done everything myself. It is time for me to staff up to take on some of the new work coming my way. I know from my past experience that the most important person, other than me, is going to be my administrator. This person will help with invoicing and staying organized. So, I hired that person this week and am very pleased.

Steve
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Recently we were talking on the forum about landscape architects. Can you tell us when a landscape architect is needed to be hired on a project versus having a landscaper design a landscape?

tbgunn
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Landscape designers, at least in Florida, can only do residential landscape design. Designers cannot sign and seal plans or submit them for permitting. Landscape Architects are licensed and can design any type of landscape. Any plan other than for a single family residence is going to to have to be signed and sealed by a Landscape Architect and submitted to a jurisdiction for permitting.

I hope this helps. It may be different in other states. I know not all states require permitting.

Blake Gunnels
Gunnels Landscape Company

Steve
02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
That is very interesting!

How are you now utilizing your landscape architect background to position your business and in your marketing? I would figure this has a huge potential advantage for you.

tbgunn
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
My marketing emphasizes that the Landscape Architect is going to plan, build, and then manage their landscape. It never falls under anyone else's responsibility. Kind of a one-stop shop, if only I grew the plants as well. Clients seem to appreciate that they only deal with me, especially on a commercial level.

Blake

Steve
02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I could see that really helping to make you stand out from competitors in the area. By playing that up, it may be possible for you to charge a premium for your services.