PDA

View Full Version : New in Texas

Shark1611
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Love the lawn care business and I am always looking for new ways of doing things. I have been in lawn care for about 7 months now. Most of my life was spent on a golf course where my father was a golf pro. so I know a great deal about grass, and how to keep it up and looking nice. Never had to bid out a golf course so this is so different for me. In the 7 months I have picked up 14 yards and have to commercial jobs I am bidding on now that look very promising. On the other hand I have lost some jobs due to being so far out of line.

I love to play golf when I have the time and camping is another thing that I like to do for fun. If I can play golf and camp then it's even better.

Would like to know two things if anyone could share.

1.) Where can I find a form on ideas to set up to hand to my customer on added services. What we do is mow, trim, blow. We have set chages for those but wanted ideas on how anyone has there own hand out so to speak that is kind of like a McDonnalds menu. May sound stupid but I thought it would help my customers look at different packages that I could offer.

2.) Yard work is all over the board here in Texas. Some will do a yard for $20.00 and another guy will do the same size yard for $40.00. Is there any good ideas to stop this madness?

Please forgive me if this post is not done the right way. Im 53 years old and not as sharp as I use to be.

950thomas
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Everybody figures yards different u have to price it at what u can make money at

kdvandco
02-08-2011, 01:34 AM
are you at? just curios.

Growing Green
02-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Love the lawn care business and I am always looking for new ways of doing things. I have been in lawn care for about 7 months now. Most of my life was spent on a golf course where my father was a golf pro. so I know a great deal about grass, and how to keep it up and looking nice. Never had to bid out a golf course so this is so different for me. In the 7 months I have picked up 14 yards and have to commercial jobs I am bidding on now that look very promising. On the other hand I have lost some jobs due to being so far out of line.

I love to play golf when I have the time and camping is another thing that I like to do for fun. If I can play golf and camp then it's even better.

Would like to know two things if anyone could share.

1.) Where can I find a form on ideas to set up to hand to my customer on added services. What we do is mow, trim, blow. We have set chages for those but wanted ideas on how anyone has there own hand out so to speak that is kind of like a McDonnalds menu. May sound stupid but I thought it would help my customers look at different packages that I could offer.

2.) Yard work is all over the board here in Texas. Some will do a yard for $20.00 and another guy will do the same size yard for $40.00. Is there any good ideas to stop this madness?

Please forgive me if this post is not done the right way. Im 53 years old and not as sharp as I use to be.

Hi Shark,
You are not to far from me. Love Marble Falls.

Check out my website and click on the "packages" tab and that might give you an idea of different services to offer. I just used excel to create it.

As for the difference in prices...that stuff doesn't bother me one bit. I don't want customers that are just interested in the cheapest price. I do quality work and since I'm organic as well it seems to attract customers who want quality work and not just mow and go.

Matt

Steve
02-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Something that many lawn care business owners will do is walk the property with the homeowner and point out issues that you could resolve for them. Or even ask them if they have issues with their property that they would like addressed.

Do you think doing something like that could help you find more upsells?

Shark1611
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Yes I have done that before and it is most helpful. This form has been a great help.

Shark1611
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
are you at? just curios.

Marble Falls

Steve
02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
As you scale up your business more, whats next on your to do list?

Shark1611
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I am working on programs for my customers to pick from this year. I have two that are contracts and the other 12 are pay by the month. I want to work on trying to get more income flow during the winter months this next year.

Also I am setting up a plan to check out the sprinkler systems this spring. I am in hopes of being able to share watering times, sprinkler repair, etc. with them.

Some of the property is second homes so I was able this winter to do some winter insulation with them. It went well for my first winter at this new business.

Working a full time job is so hard to build the business. I get up every morning at 5:30 and head out to work my full time job. I get home each night around 6:00 Then I have about 45 minutes to work on little projects for my customers. I have one day off and we are closed on Sundays so I work all day those days. My wife works with me when I am off on Saturdays so that helps me get a head start. I have a feeling that with the new apartment contract that my summer is going to be very full. Thanks for asking....

Steve
02-17-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a feeling that with the new apartment contract that my summer is going to be very full.

A lot of newer business owners have troubles landing commercial accounts. Do you have any advice on how to do this? Did you find it easy or difficult to find the contact person at this apartment complex and ultimately land this property as a customer?

Shark1611
02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
A lot of newer business owners have troubles landing commercial accounts. Do you have any advice on how to do this? Did you find it easy or difficult to find the contact person at this apartment complex and ultimately land this property as a customer?

I went in the first part of the day while I was cleaned up and in my company uniform. I walked into the main office, head up, hand out and with a smile. Told them I was new in the business but was born and raised on a golf course and that when I cut lawns they look like a golf course. Told them that I was insured and had references if they wanted to call on them.

The person in charge asked for me to step in her office and she asked what I look for in standards when I walk onto and off a property. I shared with her from my heart, told her that this was not a job but something I love to do. Told her I do not play games and that I had lived in the area since 1971 and my name is everything.

She told me the property to bid on so I went and walked the property then the next day I had her a nice letterhead bid in her hands. Got an e-mail from her the next day stating that I got the bid.

This is one of the largest property managment companies in our area!! Sent me another to bid on the other day so we will see how it goes.

Steve
02-18-2011, 02:52 PM
As you reflect on the bid now, do you find there are things you would have done differently? How did the amount of man-hours you estimated the job take compare with the actual amount of time it took?

Shark1611
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
As you reflect on the bid now, do you find there are things you would have done differently? How did the amount of man-hours you estimated the job take compare with the actual amount of time it took?

Sorry Steve I just saw where you posted. I can tell you that out of the ten that I have now I under bid on two. I did not think out the amount of weed eating it was going to take around the apartments. Also I found out that a large area of the property where they will one day build more is very rough and I have to run my mowers very slow and raise and lower the deck to keep from digging into the ground.

On the other one I did not take into effect all the blowing clean up from grass clipping in the parking lot. Both I would of gone up at least $50.00 more a month. Still doing okay but working my tell off. This has help with my other bids. I now look a lot longer for issues such as these.

Steve
05-20-2011, 05:33 AM
I now look a lot longer for issues such as these.

That is fantastic!

Early on there is drive sometime to throw a bid together relatively quickly due to the excitement of possibly landing it. But as we see, if the bid isn't well thought out, you end up paying for that mistake but having to spend more time on the job than you accounted for.

Shark1611
05-12-2012, 03:13 PM
That is fantastic!

Early on there is drive sometime to throw a bid together relatively quickly due to the excitement of possibly landing it. But as we see, if the bid isn't well thought out, you end up paying for that mistake but having to spend more time on the job than you accounted for.

And I will say the lawn tool on my Droid (https://market.android.com/developer?pub=GopherHaul+Lawn+Care+Business+Show+% 26+Forum) helps me out a great deal. I now take a look at a job, think it out in my head on about how much it going to bid for, then use the lawn tools I bought from here. Most of the time I am right around 20.00 give or take.