PDA

View Full Version : Edger Repair

DillonB92
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
My girl friends mom gave me a craftsman edger. It looks like it is hardly used. She says its over 16 years old. I was hoping to get it running so i Don't have to buy a new one. I got it out today and started looking it over. I noticed a few things. 1. Its covered in Hay? not sure about that one but ok. 2. No air filter or air filter cover and the wheels are kinda messed up. I Can't find anything in terms of Air filter for the model. I have never seen anything like this before its like Cylindrical shape and screws into it maybe? I also noticed the spark plug is the craziest thing i have ever seen. It is a CJ14. I took it out and it looked good shape with a gap of .033. I don't know what it is supposed to be but ya. for the spark plug wire... it goes down the side and then there is a metal bracket above the spark plug. Any Ideas on that one? The Carburetor on here resembles more of one like an old car would have instead of a typical weedeater or mower. I was hoping any thing you guys have to offer would help. I also couldn't find a primer button for it either? am i just missing that?
Model is 536.870452 I also have the starter taken off in the picture too.

bruces
02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
you push the metal onto the top of the plug to shut the engine off .

kdvandco
02-08-2011, 01:49 AM
best hundred bux you'll ever spend. and by blades by the fives!

wandfsmall
02-08-2011, 08:56 AM
My girl friends mom gave me a craftsman edger. It looks like it is hardly used. She says its over 16 years old. I was hoping to get it running so i Don't have to buy a new one. I got it out today and started looking it over. I noticed a few things. 1. Its covered in Hay? not sure about that one but ok. 2. No air filter or air filter cover and the wheels are kinda messed up. I Can't find anything in terms of Air filter for the model. I have never seen anything like this before its like Cylindrical shape and screws into it maybe? I also noticed the spark plug is the craziest thing i have ever seen. It is a CJ14. I took it out and it looked good shape with a gap of .033. I don't know what it is supposed to be but ya. for the spark plug wire... it goes down the side and then there is a metal bracket above the spark plug. Any Ideas on that one? The Carburetor on here resembles more of one like an old car would have instead of a typical weedeater or mower. I was hoping any thing you guys have to offer would help. I also couldn't find a primer button for it either? am i just missing that?
Model is 536.870452 I also have the starter taken off in the picture too.

if it has not had an air filter or air filter cover for more then 10 years I would say your wasting your time working on it. You would have to strip the engine and rebuild it just to make sure it is clean.

You will not find a primer bulb on it as it is too old. They did not put them on 3.5 hp Briggs engines. In fact you might even have a hard time getting a breakdown on that engine. Though it had to be a late model with a plastic tank.

The Carburetor on that engine is not common but the kits are still available. We sell a few a year as that engine is common on grinders and shop tools for the Amish.

kdvandco
02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
if it has not had an air filter or air filter cover for more then 10 years I would say your wasting your time working on it. You would have to strip the engine and rebuild it just to make sure it is clean.

You will not find a primer bulb on it as it is too old. They did not put them on 3.5 hp Briggs engines. In fact you might even have a hard time getting a breakdown on that engine. Though it had to be a late model with a plastic tank.

The Carburetor on that engine is not common but the kits are still available. We sell a few a year as that engine is common on grinders and shop tools for the Amish.

Ill haul it off for you for free!

DillonB92
02-08-2011, 07:49 PM
so to start it you do what just pull the chord? It has a metal fuel tank. I Took the engine off the frame today. I am pretty sure we will have a snowday wed. and Thursday I HOPE SO any way i plan on breaking it down just to clean what ever needs to be clean. Is the engine a Briggs or is it a tecumseh engine?

wandfsmall
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I think upon looking at it closer it is likely a Tecumseh engine. Most of those units I thought had Briggs engines on them. Since it has a metal tank make sure the tank is not rusted solid. If it is you will find the carburetor impossible to keep clean. I have attached the breakdown for that engine since you might be playing with it tomorrow.

bruces
02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I think its a tecumseh as well due to the push and turn air filter looking like the eager 1 lawnmower .

SpokaneSRC
02-08-2011, 08:56 PM
According to the link below, some new parts are still available. I don't know if this helps or not, but there you go.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Edger-Parts/Model-536870452/0247/1503400/00009764/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

DillonB92
02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
is the eager1 mower have the same airfilter the edger has? i went to sears today and they had a crazy looking air filter. it looked like this. is this the one that the mower uses?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=eager+1+Lawn+Mower+air+filter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5412379962365866893&ei=TwhSTZquEsmr8AalhJCoCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAw#

Wandfsmall Thanks man! I looked for about an hour last night and couldn't find the engine breakdown i found the product breakdown but not the engine. Thanks!

spokanesrc thanks man. I saw that site last night but couldn't find it again today. Thanks!

wandfsmall
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
is the eager1 mower have the same airfilter the edger has? i went to sears today and they had a crazy looking air filter. it looked like this. is this the one that the mower uses?

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=eager+1+Lawn+Mower+air+filter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5412379962365866893&ei=TwhSTZquEsmr8AalhJCoCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAw#

Wandfsmall Thanks man! I looked for about an hour last night and couldn't find the engine breakdown i found the product breakdown but not the engine. Thanks!

spokanesrc thanks man. I saw that site last night but couldn't find it again today. Thanks!

Sears is pretty high on parts if you need anything let me know I can sell you oem parts cheaper then sears in most cases.

Steve
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Is it possible the air filters have been ripped about by mice to use in their nests? They seem to love air filters.

bruces
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
the air filter is part #s 154a and 80a in the parts diagram wand sent you .The filter is paper ,and a plastic cage shaped like a salt shaker holds it on .Craftsman used them for years on their push mowers with the eagre 1 engine which was a tecumseh .

DillonB92
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I have no idea steve. There was so much stuff in their shed there is no telling.
Thanks wandfsmall that would help a lot!
Is the airfilter in the link the same thing i Can't tell in the diagram

wandfsmall
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I have no idea steve. There was so much stuff in their shed there is no telling.
Thanks wandfsmall that would help a lot!
Is the airfilter in the link the same thing i Can't tell in the diagram

yes, I would recommend oregon part number 30-091 not a big fan of Arnold Chinese Quality just is not always good and at this time the oem for tec is hard to come by. Although they are producing engines again, or at least importing them from china. The price for that air filter in Oregon from me would be $5.29.

wandfsmall
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
yes, I would recommend oregon part number 30-091 not a big fan of Arnold Chinese Quality just is not always good and at this time the oem for tec is hard to come by. Although they are producing engines again, or at least importing them from china. The price for that air filter in Oregon from me would be $5.29.

Wait I was going off of the diagram. Looking at the picture I think that has a different air filter and housing. I will post the info when I get a chance tonight and have a pic to show you what I am talking about.

wandfsmall
02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Is it possible the air filters have been ripped about by mice to use in their nests? They seem to love air filters.

most likely it was not starting and someone was spraying ether into the engine. A lot of people tend to do that but it is also a nice way to kill yourself:eek:

DillonB92
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I'e been taking it apart since about 2. I have gotten it mostly broken down. Does anyone know how to take this piece off? i Always have an issue when it comes to working on stuff. I can't get this piece to move or get it off.

Steve
02-10-2011, 08:06 AM
It's hard to tell from this photo but is that pulley permanently attached to the shaft or could you use some kind of puller to get it off?

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/comclutch/11p_puller2.JPG

wandfsmall
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
It's hard to tell from this photo but is that pulley permanently attached to the shaft or could you use some kind of puller to get it off?

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/comclutch/11p_puller2.JPG

you will want to use kroil and a wheel puller to get that off. Then I would take emery cloth and polish the shaft before putting it back on.

wandfsmall
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Wait I was going off of the diagram. Looking at the picture I think that has a different air filter and housing. I will post the info when I get a chance tonight and have a pic to show you what I am talking about.

Sorry I have not had time to get a photo and check what I think is wrong with the air filter in your breakdown. But I think it is a standard eager 1 air filter housing, just need to get to my scrap building and make sure I am right. I do not have a tec engine sitting here to look at.

DillonB92
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Ah your fine man I understand! I have gotten it torn apart down to the magneto. I can't get the Nut off of it to take it farther than that. Do you know where you can get a gasket Part Number 27 in the engine breakdown diagram?

steve I'm not sure it has a key hole thing in the shaft so i am assuming it comes off.

wandfsmall
02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Ah your fine man I understand! I have gotten it torn apart down to the magneto. I can't get the Nut off of it to take it farther than that. Do you know where you can get a gasket Part Number 27 in the engine breakdown diagram?

steve I'm not sure it has a key hole thing in the shaft so i am assuming it comes off.

That part is still available and runs $1.30

bruces
02-10-2011, 05:58 PM
the parts for the air cleaner are # 80a and # 154a on the part diagram you were sent on the first page .It does appear to be the standard eagre1 stuff from a few years ago ,but I do not have a cross referance book to check numbers .

wandfsmall
02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
the parts for the air cleaner are # 80a and # 154a on the part diagram you were sent on the first page .It does appear to be the standard eagre1 stuff from a few years ago ,but I do not have a cross referance book to check numbers .

The engine numbers show parts that are not part of the eager 1 system but what I see looks like an eager 1 air cleaner setup.

DillonB92
02-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry i have been out of town for the weekend. Do you have the housing for the airfilter? like for sale? where can i get the gasket? Do they still have the Gasket Kit in the Parts diagram?

wandfsmall
02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I can get you both the gasket and the gasket kit, the price is my price on the gasket. The kit is 11.63 the air filter housing is no longer available but I do have a used one I will sell you for $3

Sorry about the delay I have not been able to check the board much latly.

We are just now opening our online site at

www.alloutdoorparts.com (http://www.alloutdoorparts.com)

you can email me direct also if you have any questions at rwaters@alloutdoorparts.com

DillonB92
02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
That would be great! I emailed you hope to hear from you soon

Steve
02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Take some pictures as you work on it and what you change. I'd love to see it all.