PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle Head Mistakes

kdvandco
02-06-2011, 12:44 AM
We all do them, KNUCKLE HEAD MISTAKES, mistakes we bring upon ourselves not being careful or mindful of the task at hand. Learning to cut back on them will save you money and more importantly time, and to me, time has always been a little more important than money.

One thing I've done before, a lot, did it the other day. Is not having gas containers properly marked, or not having them properly secured and capped. How many times have you made a turn and started smelling gas. the first two or three times I did it wasn't till later I noticed I had spilled one of my containers (the one with the lid that was "modified" so not have to press down on it to use). By the fourth and fifth time I smelled gas I new right away what it was. Each time It was an easy 7 bux. three dollars a gallon plust 3 bux for a couple ounces of oil mix, plus my time, not to mention running out of fuel because I had spilled most of it.
I finally stopped and got me a milk crate from the local nursery and put the fuel containers in it.. that helps alot except when IM jumping railroad tracks!

other Knuckle Head Mistakes:

getting to a Job site and forgetting a Key to the zero,
or a whole other piece of equipment you need.

not having enough bags.

Not getting proper directions or contact numbers.

misplacing the keys to the tool shed.. shake my head over that one still.

forgetting or not using Safety glasses. HOw expensive and time consuming can that be?

even simple things like being in a rush when we dont have to be can cost dearly, ever broken a light, ripped out plug or busted trailer hitch trying to unhook or hook up in a hurry?

there are so many things we can do to use our time more effieciant and reduce the stress of KNUCKLE HEAD MISTAKES!

what are some of your most memorable KNUCKLE HEAD MISTAKE

sorry Steve didnt mean to Stihl your thunder there, asking everyone for feed back lol!

kdvandco
02-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Ive had to replace two trailer tires from making turns too sharp or too fast and hitting a ditch or culvert.

just remembered those two.

and one while doing a handy man job. I should have asked for help carrying out a roll of carpet down a stairway. instead I folded it and did it myself. rubbing carpet down both sides of a freshly textured walk way.. had to pay to retexture it..The guy who had originally done the work was still around doing other parts of the house and was friendly enough to only charge me 20 bux, but if I had to get my stuff out, buy the materials and do the work, it would have been closer to 150.

So take it from me. patience and being extra care full at all times may not pay but it sure will save!

Steve
02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Those are some really great insights.

How have you resolved some of these issues so as not to repeat them?

Have you done anything else to secure your tanks? What about the key issue? What have you done to resolve that?

Do you look around at other competitors or friends in the industry now and see them doing some real knucklehead mistakes as well?

kdvandco
02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
to minimize KNUCKLE HEAD MISTAKES just take a little more time with your prep work... prepping is 60 percent of the job.

also you won't notice other ppl doing it or tell ppl what you did. but you will know and thats what really matters.

Hedgemaster
02-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Not scouting out an accessible restroom location before doing work in an unfamiliar area can be a mistake.

;)

Hedgeeverybodypoopsmaster

kdvandco
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Not scouting out an accessible restroom location before doing work in an unfamiliar area can be a mistake.

;)

Hedgeeverybodypoopsmaster

boy you aint ever lying.

devuono311
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Biggest mistake, and I mean HUGE was one time headin home after a job. I didnt lock the mechanism on my ratchet strap secureing my mower...
(Slaps hand against forhead) I turned a corner and heard a crash, I look back wonderin"What in the hell?, Couldnt have been my mower cause I still see the steering controls, wa....wai...wait... it IS my mower! WHERE IN THE HELL is it GOING?!?!?!" As my mower (thankfully landed upright) is steadily cruising to the shoulder of the road. Man was I PISSED when I realized what I did, not to mention the embarassment!

kdvandco
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
iVE ALSO JACKKNIFED A COUPLE TIMES AND THINGS OF THAT NATURE .. BUT LOOSING MY MOWING RIG.. BECAUSE OF A STRAP! THATS THE WORST ONE SO FAR!

OH YEAH I DIDNT LOCK MY WEED EATERS AND HAND BLOWER ONCE WHEN I WENT IN TO EAT FOR 30 MIN.. THATS ALL IT TOOK..

THANKFULLY IT WAS A HAND HELD STIHL I PICKED UP AT SOME GARGE SALE FOR 30 AND TWO BROKEN STHILS THAT I HAD PICKED UP FOR 15 BUX FOR PARTS. BUT ITS STILL HURT AND ALL FROM NOT LOCKING A PAD LOCK. DAMN THIEVES, THERES NOTHING I HATE MORE IN THIS WORLD.

robgee05
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Got home left blower edger and weed eater in the PU bed. Somebody stole it all. Went to the police station to report. The idiot had it in the back of his blazer and accidently hit a guy on a bike and drove away. Police caught him and we got stuff out of the impound. LUCKY!!!@:D

jymie
02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Here is a good one, how about forgetting to use the strap to tie down your mower then while driving away you run over it with the trailor tire and snap it off. That sucked.

kdvandco
02-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I hope I never loose my mower while driving, I dont know what id, do.

had a boat pop off the hitch one time tho :D
but it was a "free junk haul off" it ran into a ditch and stopped short of a fence.:eek:
I Sold the boat with old motor for 150 apparently parts are hard to find on old motors so there worth there weight in gold, I just wanted its weight in GAS.
then the old trailer I sold for another 150, surprised the tires held up.

when I see something someone considers junk, but I think I can make a buck on Ill offer to haul it away for free. old boats, the trailer is what you want, usually just give the boats away. like old washer and dryers,scrap metal. you get a little bit for that stuff at recycling yards.. how many of those do you pass each month?

after a while you get an eye for stuff you can "flip"
like American Pickers

that then opens doors to a convo about trimming the grass that had grown around the "junk".:cool:

CHEESE2009
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Steve, you should totally make a section titled, "GOOFS"

One day doing a fall cleanup on one of my bigger properties, I worked on half of the property before moving my truck around the corner so that I wouldn't have to run back and forth every time I needed a different tool...

I ran over my handheld blower..... Stuck under the tire... Reversed... I got it unstuck (works better than ever - honest!) With the tube slightly flattened, it's seemingly more powerful!

ANYWAY, I finished the job.... Load up, start the truck... hit the gas....
I RAN OVER THE BLOWER AGAIN!!!!! ...... I was laughing at the time...

///////////////////////////

I guess third time's the charm! I will be looking forward to it.

elrascal
02-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Gosh this thread has given me a good little chuckle. I can relate to so many of these mistakes.

Hedgemaster
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Note to self:

Do not prepare for a snowstorm the night before by loading all of your shovels and other snow removal essentials into your truck then locking the cap.

It kinda' blows in the morning when you can't get the cap to open because the wet snow got in there and froze the lock shut.

Fortunately I discovered the frozen lock before I left the house and was able to use some de-icer I had in the garage to get it open.