PDA

View Full Version : Take My Card

picframer
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Well Artie......

The Canada Winter games are being hosted by our city and start Thursday, ten's of thousands of people will be here to watch so.........

I sell wood crafts I make at the largest upscale farmers market in Atlantic Canada so I built a new display booth as we are open every day however I am only able to attend 8 of the days so......

I put the Take My Cards up this morning, man the feedback from people was amazing, they love them!

So you might get a bunch of strange inquiries:)

LawnMoore
02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice work Andy!

You are blessed for sure ;)

picframer
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Nice work Andy!

You are blessed for sure ;)

Thanks bud, I had that rack in the middle made by my Blacksmith friend Scott, check this out http://www.scotianironworks.com/ it holds rolling pins I make, made four this week, by 7 a.m. this morning they were gone:) If the snow holds off as they are calling for another major dump here, I will be turning tomorrow, at least I don't have far to go to work, 15 sec walk!

DillonB92
02-05-2011, 08:41 PM
did you make those pens yourself?

picframer
02-06-2011, 03:52 AM
did you make those pens yourself?

Yes I make everything we sell except cutting boards and knives, my son makes those two products. It's actually the rules here anyhow especially at this market.

Years ago I tought pen turning at a local college in the evenings, I have since tought probably 60 people, still have requests but no time. It's a very fun hobby and a great way to get started in turning.

I have a friend Bryon who is on long term disability helping me in the shop at the moment three days a week as we are pretty far behind.

Steve
02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
That looks fantastic!

I put the Take My Cards up this morning, man the feedback from people was amazing, they love them!

What kind of feedback do you normally hear? Is it people looking to purchase from you or are they looking for you to make them other custom wood projects or what?

picframer
02-06-2011, 08:56 AM
That looks fantastic!

What kind of feedback do you normally hear? Is it people looking to purchase from you or are they looking for you to make them other custom wood projects or what?

Constant, "What a GREAT Idea", "Where did you find these?", "Are they expensive"

They are buying product, I am no longer taking orders as I have too much of a back log.

DillonB92
02-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Nice! My Carpentry Teacher bought 2 lathes and a pen making kit for us to experiment with. I think its pretty fun. I haven't made my pen yet but i will this week something. Its very Relaxing! i'll post pics when i get it done finally

picframer
02-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Nice! My Carpentry Teacher bought 2 lathes and a pen making kit for us to experiment with. I think its pretty fun. I haven't made my pen yet but i will this week something. Its very Relaxing! i'll post pics when i get it done finally

Fun, relaxing and you can make good money at it. I have a very close friend that is an editor of the largest woodworking magazine in the country, he put himself through University turning pens and other small items. I tought my son when he was 12 and was shocked at the money he made and continues to make although being in University he doesn't have much time so I am busy picking up the slack.

I am getting a lot of commercial orders as we have a local guy who laser engraves them, not only pens but razors with a brush engraved with the barber's name, this past week two local Universities put their orders in for graduates so I am booked pretty solid until landscaping starts.

We engrave wine stoppers for local wineries and coffee scoops for two local companies that roast their own coffee.

DillonB92
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Nice! what Magazine does he work for? I enjoy it. I made a small baseball bat just messing around. My teacher only ordered 1 thing. So only one person can work at a time on the pen. I hope to do mine tomorrow if we are in school. What kind of Lathe did you get your son? What's the startup cost for making pens? Including a lathe. It sounds very awesome. I think it would be pretty cool.
The kit my teacher ordered is a pen and then there is another one that is a mechanical pencil. I'll take a picture when i Finally get it done.

picframer
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Nice! what Magazine does he work for? I enjoy it. I made a small baseball bat just messing around. My teacher only ordered 1 thing. So only one person can work at a time on the pen. I hope to do mine tomorrow if we are in school. What kind of Lathe did you get your son? What's the startup cost for making pens? Including a lathe. It sounds very awesome. I think it would be pretty cool.
The kit my teacher ordered is a pen and then there is another one that is a mechanical pencil. I'll take a picture when i Finally get it done.

WOOD Magazine, I also worked for them for years, they are the largest in the world, my speciality is exotic and figured woods.

I started Seth with a Jet mini lathe, they are the best value for the buck, nothing can touch them, he made close to twenty grand (profit) in a year, I then bought him a OneWay but that Lathe is nine grand. He needed a bigger lathe as he turns bowls up to 24".

You can get set up and going for about $500.00, that would be for pens. Always buy quality, there are many brands on the market and going cheap with a lathe and tools in my experience is an accident looking for a place to happen and running the WOOD forums I read about it a lot.

Good luck, once you make one, like pretty much anyone I have spoken with, you will be hooked:) It's a very good addiction however and as I said, you can make serious coin, a lot more than you would in lawn care.

DillonB92
02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Ya i have heard that magazine before! $500 isn't bad at all. How do you get started selling them?

picframer
02-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Ya i have heard that magazine before! $500 isn't bad at all. How do you get started selling them?

Once you have nice pens, start with friends and family to get the cash flow going, then craft shows, local business's informing them you can engrave, real estate agents buy a lot from us to give to clients as do many companies, they are excellent corporate gifts, then word of mouth will start.

DillonB92
02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
hm.. I will keep this in mind! I'm thinking about doing this in the winter as a hobby and then Selling them thanks

Growing Green
02-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Andy, how in the world do you have time to do this with all the lawn work and other stuff going on? Do you ever sleep? ;)

Matt

picframer
02-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Andy, how in the world do you have time to do this with all the lawn work and other stuff going on? Do you ever sleep? ;)

Matt

I work all the time at something, This time of the year (Nov to March) other than snow removal which I sub out or I have two staff look after, I am free to do what I want. Son is in University, daughter grade 12 so it's just me and the dog:) we find time most days for our hour walk.

Like to keep busy:)

I just brought in some Curly Roasted Maple picture frames, this wood is stunning. What I do is send Curly Maple back to the Kiln and have them dry it at extreme temps, the color is something to see. I just sent a batch of birdseye maple yesterday, doing things like this sets one apart as it isn't something other woodworkers can buy, it's also how I grew the landscaping business, always doing something the competition either isn't or can't.

DillonB92
02-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Here is my pen and pencil. I turned them today and put some sorta shiner on it. I think they turned out well. Though they could have been turned a little more
The one on the left is pen and the right one is pencil

picframer
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Great start! I sand to 1,400 grit then use three finishes which gives them a glass like look and a satin feel, you can tell clients the natural oils in their hands keeps the finish the way it is. Some guys use CA glue for a finish which is hard as a rock however it makes one friggin mess of the lath, you, the walls etc:)

Almost looks like Purpleheart or Bloodwood in the image.

It's good, and will come with time, to ensure you turn the wood down at the edges so that it forms into the pen parts with no lip to catch on your hand, that comes with a few.

Great Job!

thomas206
02-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh, wow!! That is really neat. Very rare talent to have...and Canada rules, just saying.

LawnMoore
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
My old boss made pens, he was really into it he would take samples of all the trees we brought in from the city removals, he then started himself a wood selling business with his turning canvas'.

He would block out pen blocks and bowl blocks but he had an unfortunate attack of the heart, and im not sure where it went after that.

But you might be able to have some extra profit selling blanks for turning and wood working!

Good luck Andy!

picframer
02-16-2011, 05:07 AM
My old boss made pens, he was really into it he would take samples of all the trees we brought in from the city removals, he then started himself a wood selling business with his turning canvas'.

He would block out pen blocks and bowl blocks but he had an unfortunate attack of the heart, and im not sure where it went after that.

But you might be able to have some extra profit selling blanks for turning and wood working!

Good luck Andy!

That is too bad, similar thing happened to me when I was around 11, old fellow was teaching me how to tie fishing flies and had a heart attack and never really recovered, man I made a lot of money as a kid selling flies:)

I thought of selling turnings, when Hrricane Juan hit my son and I collected over 20 truck loads of hardwood Burls, in short worth a small fortune but I never did. I have enough burls to last a couple of lifetimes:)