PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Advice

jschmitz
02-05-2011, 02:26 PM
My son in law and I are starting a new lawn care biz. We have 2 year old Ferris is2000z/ 25hp Kawi/52" deck, 2 echo trimmers.
My question is what additional equipment will we need and what brands are best. I'm a believer in getting top quality equipment as long as it isn't priced out of the market and we have a reliable service provider close by.
So I'm thinking another mower do we get a walk behind or a stand on.
What brands are best?
Also blowers Back pack or hand held? Shindiawa?
Bush or hedge trimmer? what kind?
What about these new hybrid 4 strokes?
Also a trailer enclosed or open? We are in Minnesota How large a trailer? What brands are best?
Any other Equipment?

Thanks, John

brian'slawncare
02-05-2011, 02:54 PM
i would start small. If you can get away with one mower. do so....
make sure you set an amount that you are willing to take out of your own pocket to start up with.

950thomas
02-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I would buy an open trailer at first it has more uses than enclosed

Turf Pros of Wi
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
My son in law and I are starting a new lawn care biz. We have 2 year old Ferris is2000z/ 25hp Kawi/52" deck, 2 echo trimmers.
My question is what additional equipment will we need and what brands are best. I'm a believer in getting top quality equipment as long as it isn't priced out of the market and we have a reliable service provider close by.
So I'm thinking another mower do we get a walk behind or a stand on.
What brands are best?
Also blowers Back pack or hand held? Shindiawa?
Bush or hedge trimmer? what kind?
What about these new hybrid 4 strokes?
Also a trailer enclosed or open? We are in Minnesota How large a trailer? What brands are best?
Any other Equipment?

Thanks, John

After almost 25 years in the biz, I have found for me the SCAG line of equipment has out performed and out lived some of the others ive owned. I also prefer the Kawasaki line of engines over the others. The ECHO line of hand held power equipment is good also. I prefer a 7x16 enclosed trailer with a ramp door. Since 1988 ive owned 9 of that size/type trailer..Avoid the high end brand name trailers like wells cargo and featherlite, their to expensive IMO....Middle road brands like Haulmark, United, Pace, Have worked well for me.Also avoid the RC trailer brand, unless the bottom line $$$ is the most important issue for you. I have had a few over the years, and had bad experinces with those trailers....

AnthonyAli
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Stihl equiptment has worked the best for me over the years. i think u should get a walk behind mower first so that you can save up for a good riding mower or stander. i prefer a enclosed trailer! good luck this season!!!!

jymie
02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Since you have a zturn already, you may want to focus on getting a walk behind 33" commercial mower so you can access gated back yards easily..

wandfsmall
02-05-2011, 05:13 PM
The equipment you need is dependent on the jobs you get. I would start with what you have. You said you needed a trimmer, as a mechanic I personally do not like the 4mix or Hybrid units becouse they require valve adjustments and turn a lower rpm then 2cycle equipment. in order of what I personally prefer is Redmax, Husquvarna, Echo(Shindiawa stuff not Home Depot echo), Stihl, Maryuama. Most of the stuff you can buy at a box store is not worth anything. As for trailer you do not need an enclosed trailer to start with no need in going into debt start off small. Your insurance and Gas will be enough to worry about.

And before anyone jumps on me about stihl I just do not think the trimmers are as good as the Redmax since they went to the 4mix.