PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling conflict

devuono311
02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Whats a good rule of thumb for scheduling jobs?
This is my second year, and when I got comfortable last year I quit advertising, (bad idea because once people started making it up to their cabins, properties and such, they took over themselves, leaving me to start all over on advertising) turned out to be a great year in the long run, I just need to work out some kinks each year.

So here is my question:
Second year in business,
How do I schedule jobs so that I am more efficient, keep my schedule as full as I can handle, but don't OVERFILL my schedule and get in over my head (again) I'm afraid of backing off and not getting the work I need or could use, but if I bite off too much then what?

I really appreciate as much response as I can get as I'm in Michigan, though we just had one hell of a storm, I'm advertising NOW for this season.

Also, Second question now that I think of it:
When bidding commercial properties, do you bid the entire season and then they pay up front or bid them at a monthly cost, then bill them monthly? Or leave it up to them? I have some small commercial areas I'd like to sink my teeth into to get a taste for it but not sure how to bid it properly. I bid one last year and though she said she wanted it broke down monthly, when I submitted it that way, she stated my bid was incomplete because she expected it to be a seasonal total.

Thanks again guys, gals, and everyone the same. :)

950thomas
02-03-2011, 08:31 PM
on commercial u bid everything for the year and divide the cost over 12 months

jymie
02-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Commercial properties you would then bill them at the end of the month, then it takes typically 30 days after that to be paid. Some pay quicker, but not usually, so plan on servicing them the first two months without getting pay.

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
You can help your schedule by grouping your lawns by geographic location. Do all jobs within a specific area on the same day. Scheduling lawns this way greatly reduces your drive time. Also, if you can get several lawns in a row, you only have to unload your equipment once for all of those lawns.

This will give you a tremendous boost in productivity this year.

Good luck:

Keith

Steve
02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
This is my second year, and when I got comfortable last year I quit advertising, (bad idea because once people started making it up to their cabins, properties and such, they took over themselves, leaving me to start all over on advertising)

What will you do differently this year?

devuono311
02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm NEVER going to stop advertising, try to keep geographical areas defined daily as mentioned below, and try to convince my customers that it's an advantage and easier to keep me doing their lawns versus doing it them selves. I can save them time to spend with their families, golf, boat , fish etc. Also with rising gas prices, maybe they'll prefer me to keep up the services. Just I need to get me scheduling down pact. I'm a little nervous about that. as I stated earlier.