PDA

View Full Version : what is this

Paineless Creations
01-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Here some picture of my lawn. There is a ring in my Lawn for about 1 1/2 years now. What is it and how do i get rid of it??? See Pictures

tricountylawncare
01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Looks to me like there used to be a flower bed there years ago. How long have you lived there and has it been there the whole time you have lived there?

Hedgemaster
01-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Crop circles.

You'll need an aerial photo to confirm though.

;)

I really don't know, but there could be something left behind in the soil from something that is no longer there. Years ago, I had our sidewalk busted up, and removed when we changed it's route, and for a while after that you could see a "ghost" of where the old sidewalk ran because the grass was a slightly different color there.

Organic
01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Might have fairy ring (lawn fungus) google it see if symptoms match

Paineless Creations
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
I bought the house new about 3 years ago and watched them put down the sod and about 1 1/2 year later this formed and been there since?

Organic
01-31-2011, 10:21 PM
has it changed in size?

Paineless Creations
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
No it has always been that size

The Cleaning Doctor
01-31-2011, 10:43 PM
Maybe a piece of equipment at the site sprung a hydraulic leak and that has contaminated the soil. Dig up some of the soil and put it in a jar of water then shake it up and leave over night to see if oil separates from the soil.

I can't believe that it has been around for 3 years but who knows. Hydraulic fluid is thick.

Steve
02-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I'd think digging into the ring a little might yield some answers. Maybe there is wood or something else buried under the surface.

Paineless Creations
02-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I'd think digging into the ring a little might yield some answers. Maybe there is wood or something else buried under the surface.

What do you think, should I dig on the inside (Middle) of the ring or should i dig on the outer part of it right at the ring?

Bobby

The Cleaning Doctor
02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I would dig in the middle

ritchiem
02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like 'fairy ring' to me. Digg up a portion of the ring to see if there is any fungus below the thatch layer. If there is you have your answer.

ritchiem
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
To elaborate...

DESCRIPTION AND DAMAGE

Fairy rings are circles or arcs of dark green grass surrounding areas of light colored or dead grass. During
spring and fall, mushrooms develop in a circle outlining the ring. These mushrooms are signs of the fungus
causing the problem. Unless the fungus is controlled, the ring enlarges each year.

The fungus usually lies several inches below the ground and forms a dense layer of mycelium (white hair-like
threads) that breaks down organic matter at the outer edge of the ring. The dense mycelium traps the movement
of air and prevents the penetration of water. This lack of water, air and nutrients causes the grass to yellow or
brown in the ring where the mycelium is the thickest.
As the fungus grows outward and breaks down organic matter, it releases nitrogen. Rapid, dark green growth
of the ring is a result of the additional nitrogen.

CONTROL

1. Mushrooms do not injure the lawn. Simply rake them up and discard them.
2. Aerate the soil. Either remove cores of soil 1-2 inches in diameter or punch holes with a spading fork
the depth of the tines. Aerate at least 6 inches outside and inside the ring, including the ring itself.
Punch as many holes as possible.
3. Apply a wetting agent (surfactant) over the entire ring. Wetting agents allow water to penetrate soil
more easily and deeply.
4. Drench the soil with water from a hose. Sprinklers do not apply enough water at one time. Let water
run out of the hose until there is standing water.

Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 every three days. Do not skip a step! You should begin seeing improvement in two weeks. Continue the process for at least one month.

You can also remove the sod, mix soil in affected areas in the upper 6 to 8 inches of soil with a rototiller, and reseed or put new sod in the area.

Keep your lawn in healthy condition. Fertilize at least three times during the growing season. Mow at proper height. Water deeply and infrequently.

Paineless Creations
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I think you are on to something with the fairy ring. I need to check it out more.

Steve
02-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Take some pictures of what you dig up.

Paineless Creations
02-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Take some pictures of what you dig up.

Will do, Ground is frozen right now. But will take pictures in a couple of weeks.

Bobby

Golftrick17
02-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I would really be suprised if it is not Fairy Ring. Some of the pics look a little more clear with the dark green arc.