PDA

View Full Version : Hey don't forget the little guys

shahoo80
01-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I went the other day to buy a larger trailer from a guy and when I got there this guy did lawn service last year. By the time I left we had talked for some time about lawns and business etc. and was thinking Dont forget about the little guys.

Last year was my first year and I tried to just talk with quite a few companies not to learn the secrets but just general information and only 1 person would actually talk with me with out treating me like the enemy that crossed over the battle field to check them out. I told myself I would never do that. It helps the local market to talk with people in your market to talk about business issues face to face. I almost wished that maybe once a month the local market would get together as a group and talk about the business,equipment,customers, trends etc. anything.
Big or small doesn't matter who you are each and every one could offer something to the group in one way or another. Now I am not saying tell each other all our secrets that work but information.

What do you guys think and my question is if you were in my local market would you attend?

Hedgemaster
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Nah...

I wouldn't have time to attend a meeting, 'cuz I'd be too busy mowing all your customer's lawns for "just 10 bucks"!

:D

;)

Steve
02-01-2011, 05:07 AM
I like the idea but I think it is very difficult to actually bring together.

If you would like to try it, why not experiment with it and see if an ad in craigslist might bring some local business owners together for a discussion at a local diner maybe?

I went the other day to buy a larger trailer from a guy and when I got there this guy did lawn service last year. By the time I left we had talked for some time about lawns and business etc. and was thinking Dont forget about the little guys.

I am sure this could have been a very interesting conversation. Did he talk much about why he felt he went out of business? Was he able to offer you some advice you hadn't thought of?

ritchiem
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
We do that here in Ontario with our Landscape Ontario meetings. I know that there is some programs in the states that have the same thing. If there isn't an organization in your area, why not start one.

shahoo80
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Hedgemaster, Very funny about the $10 MOW...

Anyway I have mentioned to a few people but maybe not a meeting per say or like a breakfest or coffee not alot of time maybe an hour on a weekend or something.

I'll play around and talk to a few people and see what happens with it.

Steve,

The guy I bought the trailer from was not going out of business he was trying to get some new equipment and build new customers at the same time.

kdvandco
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
I often think the same thing.

if only to try and stop the low balling. You cant really do more than that. What i think anyways.

I do personally know about 4 to 5 of the 15 or so operators in the area. the biggest and one that has been doing it the longest is Herrera them guys mow a whole 6 block radius of churches on thursdays. Awesome thing to see, He is also my uncle and one of my inspirations for doing this.

He always takes the time to listen to my questions and give me advice, I remember when I first got my trailer and equipment, he came to tell me what all I needed to have and where it should go. Maybe he did it cause of our family relationship, I doubt he'd have done it for anyone non related, I love showing him my upgrades.

so maybe what im trying to say is one on one may be better than group meeting. in meeting people tend to get into type a type b groups and strip the individuality of each member. I dont know maybe its just to late and im tired lol. but i promised pics of my set up and flyers so here still gotta do that.

Steve
02-02-2011, 07:35 AM
The guy I bought the trailer from was not going out of business he was trying to get some new equipment and build new customers at the same time.

Oh ok. Did he offer any interesting advice on business that stood out to you?