PDA

View Full Version : Spring is almost here... and the calls are coming in!

MAKLawnCutter
01-30-2011, 09:43 PM
So, as most of you know, i relocated from one area to another, had a kid... left most of my customers behind (not intentionally, this whole having a kid thing is more expensive than i thought!).

The past three days have been pretty heavy with phone calls. My web page has gone from 54views to 171 in a little over two days. I have had a total of 21 contacts with new customers. I got a call from a buddy that owned a nursery and closed it to relocate, he called me to have me come out and do the clearing and prepping for set-up (two day job, even with his crew helping).

My next three weeks looks like:

Jan 31 - Feb 4:
Monday: Finish Business Cards
Tuesday: Son and Daughter sit while wife is at school
Wednesday: Go and clear the lot for the nursery
Thursday: Go to estimate three Landscape Jobs (bed creation, clean-up)
Friday: Cut grass on old properties from 6am - 2pm, then work at the pizza shop from 4pm - 11ish.pm

Feb-7 - 11
Monday: Start dropping door hangers (1000 total)
Tuesday: Drop another door hangers (another 1000)
Wednesday: Start second SERIOUS Video for M.A.K. Landscaping
Thursday: Sharpen all blades, check fluids, flush truck radiator and oil
Friday: Undecided, hopefully be working

Feb: 14 - 18
Monday - Friday: I plan on being on the grass daily, even if it is only a handful of lawns. I have a helper this season, i did a lot of work with JLH Pro Lawn Care this winter and it showed me paying someone to HELP, is worth getting twice as much done. I hired a friends Boyfriend, hopefully he isnt an idiot and we work well together. I will have a FULL TIME helper this season. (Valentines day i have a doctors appointment for my son and have to whoa the wife over)...

Anyone else had calls come in yet? Anyone think it is too late to try and get a new advertising piece ready and printed by March? Should i run my old advertising that i did last year? I had alot of advertising stuff done earlier but, i changed to another editing software (Adobe CS5) and can do more with it... SO i am spoiled now and dont want to use the old stuff lol, but, one of the ads took me like 100hours... another 100 hours and only 4hours a night of sleep now with a baby... crap... i guess it comes down to "priorities" i hate that word!

Matt

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-30-2011, 10:39 PM
yay Matt!! I'd use advertising that works and you have or create new plenty of time
also good luck with the helper and glad I could help ya when I did:-) this is gonna be a big year for us both!!

Growing Green
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Maaaaaaaaaatt!!!! Glad you are still alive. Guess that baby is keeping you busy. ;) Glad to hear you are busy. That is awesome!

Looking forward to a great year and ready for Spring!

Matt

MAKLawnCutter
01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Yup! i am alive! baby kept me up... ALL NIGHT!

Just made a schedule for the season. Planning on cramming as much into each day as i physically can!

matt

The Cleaning Doctor
01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Sleep is sooo overrated any how.:D

Congrats on getting the calls. I remember you were worried about the move.

stevef1201
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Congrats on all.
I also have received calls from new customers for lawn care this year, hope it keeps improving for both of us.
I start tomarrow putting out door hangers, widh us both luck in those.
Great hearing from someone who is not doom and gloom. Keep Smiling:)

MAKLawnCutter
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
I had the BIGGEST fears after this move. I am basicly starting from scratch so, i might be 2years in but... im a "newbie" in my area.

Wednesday i have to bid on a "full property" restoration job, sod, beds, foliage, rocks maybe, flowers and new trees. I will also be cutting and cleaning a 4acre lot, should be awesome and full day of work, i cant wait...

LETS ALL DOMINATE THIS SEASON! (Except for me and JLH, we will share if needed lol)

Matt

Steve
02-01-2011, 06:50 AM
So, as most of you know, i relocated from one area to another, had a kid... left most of my customers behind (not intentionally, this whole having a kid thing is more expensive than i thought!).

The past three days have been pretty heavy with phone calls.

Matt, this is all fantastic! For all the new members reading this, what do you attribute all these new calls to?

How can others get their phones ringing like this too?

JLH Pro Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Matt, this is all fantastic! For all the new members reading this, what do you attribute all these new calls to?

How can others get their phones ringing like this too?

New calls are coming from constant work on the advertising front, both in person (gotta be a people person), via the internet www.jlhprolawncare.com and print (door hangers ,flyers ,business cards) and word of mouth from past customers:)

This isn't an easy task with the sheer amount of "fly by nights" with a craftsman lawnmower and a electric weed eater, lookin for $10 to mow an acre with a beer in the cup holder and a cigarette hangin from their mouth but hard work and good customer service pays off!

JLH Pro Lawn Care
02-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I had the BIGGEST fears after this move. I am basicly starting from scratch so, i might be 2years in but... im a "newbie" in my area.

Wednesday i have to bid on a "full property" restoration job, sod, beds, foliage, rocks maybe, flowers and new trees. I will also be cutting and cleaning a 4acre lot, should be awesome and full day of work, i cant wait...

LETS ALL DOMINATE THIS SEASON! (Except for me and JLH, we will share if needed lol)

Matt

We will DOMINATE this season brotha! just in a cooperative way:D

MAKLawnCutter
02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
YEsterday was a DOMINATION on the website... i average 7 views a day.

I re did my Google AdWords and added a newer Craigslist posting (stole the format from The Goat (LMFAO).

I had 37 Web Page Views yesterday thanks to my adwords and Craigslist. I have a 73% "Direct" traffic which means people are looking for me online, or i am found via keyword...

No new calls today but, phone was dead most of the day so, was turned off. Might have lost a call or two. No biggie, people are LOOKING, which means their grass is growing.

I pray it is dry in the morning, i am leaving at 7am to start my big jobs and more estimates/evaluations.

Matt

Growing Green
02-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Is it cold over there Matt? It is a 5 degree wind chill over here. That is unheard of for South Texas.

Matt

JLH Pro Lawn Care
02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Is it cold over there Matt? It is a 5 degree wind chill over here. That is unheard of for South Texas.

Matt

it's terribly cold it'll in the low 80s bwahahaha!

Steve
02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
New calls are coming from constant work on the advertising front, both in person (gotta be a people person)

What kinds of things have you been doing to get out there in person and meet people?

JLH Pro Lawn Care
02-02-2011, 10:33 AM
What kinds of things have you been doing to get out there in person and meet people?

I'd hope it comes natural to most but getting in the habit of handing out your biz card to anyone you meet as well as at any social function is a great way to meet new people, for instance I was cutting a lawn and someone stopped me to ask direction and as I gave directions I gave my card....2 days later the lost guy called and signed a yr contract:-)

MAKLawnCutter
02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
TODAY!!!

Today i traveled to Sorrento, FL, about 35miles from Daytona Beach to take care of my buddy Mike's nursery property. I showed up and looked at all of the property that he has probably 500hours in clearing already. He had about 70 trees upright and about 200 waiting to be planted. BLOWN AWAY!

His old property was about 2/3acre, no irrigation. This new one is 4 acres, cleared, ground covered on 1/3 of it. Had a big sign out front, was plain but, got the job done, more readable than the others i had seen on the way in.

I got there and his wife was around but, he wasnt anywhere to be found. I unloaded the mower and headed to the grass, Bahia, all starting to sprout and grow. 95% dead tho except where its been watered all winter. I got to mowing with my mower and got 2 acres done on the 36" in about an hour and a half. I had to blow the clippings past the fence line on about half of it tho, i dont want to be de thatching in 2 - 4 weeks. I grabed the weed-eater/brush cutter and hopped the fence, cut about 5ft back from the fence to make it look better and reduce my service at the beginning of the season.

He gets back and shakes my hand. I told him i was sorry about ditching the last month of last season, "no hard feelings, i called you back... youre the only one i trust on my turf..." Was blown away, this guy does landscape jobs that are nothing under 60K$ a pc. He has one truck, 4 trailers and 4 acres. He does 2 - 7 jobs a month during the summer. We sat and BS-ed for a while and he drops this "Want my Heathrow Accounts?" (Heathrow Florida is located in Lake Mary, MILLION DOLLAR HOMES 4million+). He runs a 7 home route two days a week... or did. He sold his lawn equipment to get ahead for the new nursery... I told him "Hell YES!" and he handed me the list of the numbers and addresses, what he is currently charging, and told me "Tell me what you will cut this one for too..." I came to 3685$ Before he handed me this paper of 365$/month contracts. I handed him a bid of 210$ a month, 4 cuts monthly. He handed me a check for the work i did today and said "Your Invoices are Awesome, i want 100..." -You want a 100 what?- "Of your invoices idiot, tomorrow morning, 100, here..." I cracked up, little me has something this guy likes over his own... Needless to say, i printed the 100 when i got home lol.

I was stressed out mid November, here i am now, 2-3 weeks away from the beginning of spring, sitting pretty with 16,000$ in contracts already, i have 4 estimates on lawn care/landscape jobs tomorrow morning. This is going to be a GOOD YEAR! BRING IT ON 2011!

Matt

jymie
02-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Great news! Good things happen to good people!

Steve
02-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Matt that is fantastic!

Today i traveled to Sorrento, FL, about 35miles from Daytona Beach to take care of my buddy Mike's nursery property.

The thing I was wondering or maybe I got confused, why was he having you mow the property when he had a mowing crew?

MAKLawnCutter
02-03-2011, 08:40 PM
He sold all of his equipment to buy in on the new property. I wish he would of talked to me before hand, i would have found another 10K to have another fully stocked rig even if to just part it out and sell it to make a profit.

He no longer does Lawn Care, only LANDSACPING, and BIG landscaping (like picframer). He does all of my curbing and hardscapes when i need them.

Matt

Steve
02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Matt that is great!

Does he offer you much business advice on how to grow?