PDA

View Full Version : When to advertise

clandscaping44
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
I live in NY and we just got over alot of snow storms. The snow is prob about 2 feet high on the grass. Question is when is the best time to advertise spring clean ups and regular weekly lawn maintenance??? keep in mind there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground. does it matter?

cleancutlawncare5382
01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I live in NW Pa. where our climate is similar to yours. I start mowing about the first week in April. My newspaper ad will start running middle of March. Paper has a special if you run it for 13 weeks. Thatís in efforts of new customers.
Last years customers will be contacted first part of March to confirm services. Clean ups and other up sells will be offered then also.

shahoo80
01-31-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree with Cleancut,

I am around Kansas City area, I started advertising mid March. What people have said here on the form is watch for the Home Depot, Lowes Spring sale ad.
I noticed last year for me end of March I was tilling gardens and by Mid April I was slammed with bids.

stevef1201
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
The absolute best time to advertised is ALWAYS. I never let my add expire. Sure its cold the grass aint growing, but the snobirds always read the newspaper. Beleive me when I tell you they always call with "I saw your ad, do you do_____?". Then I tell myself i should have put that in the ad becaseu yes i do install gardens, or plants, or rake leaves, or trim trees, etc., I have gone to look at some jobs that are just way too big, a 50 foot tree with limbs over the house, and tell them no sorry I can't do that but I know another guy who does and give them his name and number ( I have gotten two jobs from him too. They were too small for him to do cheap enough).
Advertise every day, put in everything you do, you never know what people will want. Do you have all of your services listed on you card? I did a power washing job, and after they looked at my card, I got a hedge job, and a lawn contract.:)

Steve
02-01-2011, 05:24 AM
The absolute best time to advertised is ALWAYS. I never let my add expire.

Do you change the wording of your ad at all throughout the year? If so, what do you suggest?

TheGoat
02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I agree that the best time to advertise is all the time, but there are also times when it is beneficial to "step it up" for a period of time.

So the question becomes, How do I maximize my advertising impact with a short term spending increase. The goal is to fill up the space so that competitors are crowed out, and to temporarily raise your exposure.

I use google to determine when to turn it up a little.

This link shows the Search volume for the term "lawn care" in New York state.
From the graph you can see that search traffic (people looking for service) spikes starting the last half of Feb through the end of April.

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=Lawn%20care&geo=US-NY&cmpt=q

For your area I'd start Feb 17 and ramp ad spending to slightly lead the historical search performance. Give them the answer before they have to ask the question.

Deland Lawn Service (http://www.hungrygoatlawns.com)

Steve
02-04-2011, 06:22 AM
That is a very interesting tool! When you look at it, how do you know when you should ramp up your marketing? Should it be before the uptick, in the middle of it or at the peak?

Also, what is your view on increasing your spending on google ad words during that time?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fig%2Fmodules %2Fgoogle_insightsforsearch_interestovertime_searc hterms.xml&amp;up__property=empty&amp;up__search_terms=Law n+care&amp;up__location=US-NY&amp;up__category=0&amp;up__time_range=empty&amp;up__compare _to_category=false&amp;synd=open&amp;w=320&amp;h=350&amp;lang=en-US&amp;title=Google+Insights+for+Search&amp;border=%23ffff ff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&amp;output=js"></script>

TheGoat
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I pull the raw numbers for each year, copy them into a single spreadsheet and average all the years worth of data together to develop a average interest over time.

I try to lead the increase in interest by about a week.

As far as adwords, I think it is an effective tool for advertising and I increase spending there as well.

Steve
02-05-2011, 05:49 AM
I agree that the best time to advertise is all the time, but there are also times when it is beneficial to "step it up" for a period of time.

What is your view on how long that period of time should last?

So the question becomes, How do I maximize my advertising impact with a short term spending increase. The goal is to fill up the space so that competitors are crowed out, and to temporarily raise your exposure.

Also what is your view on the best method to do this? I am sure some readers are thinking, what space you are referring too and how can they crowd out their competitors?

TheGoat
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
What is your view on how long that period of time should last?
Well, the goal will be to maintain that increased ad spend indefinitely, but shift the targeting of the ads as the seasons change. For now I will focus on acquiring new service, as we transition into fall I'll shift the ad focus to selling landscape installs.

Also what is your view on the best method to do this? I am sure some readers are thinking, what space you are referring too and how can they crowd out their competitors?

When I talk about space, generally, it's about the amount of attention a person will give to advertising on a given day. My flyer on their door, or my add on their screen. I have been advertising on facebook targeted to my area and demographics I developed based on my most desirable clients which gives me a target audience of about 25k. over the past two months I have gotten over 500000 "impressions" for an average of 20 impressions per user at a cost of about $90. This is good for me because as part of a total advertising stragety, I can saturate the demographic I am targeting in the areas I want to get more work, so when they see my flyer on their door, they'll say, "that's familiar, what is it?"

I rank highly on google as well but I still advertise with adwords because that is one advertising space a competitor cannot occupy.

Steve
02-07-2011, 07:39 AM
For now I will focus on acquiring new service, as we transition into fall I'll shift the ad focus to selling landscape installs.

As we saw by your chart, there is definitely an increase in the search for 'lawn care' during a specific time frame. Do you find there is also an increase for landscape installs at a certain time of the year? Or is this more that you will have more time to do them in the fall than during the busy mowing season?

Greenside Lawncare, LLC
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Advertise in Feb, March, April and May. once the snow is gone get at it. Only 5 weeks left till Spring. Dont wait too long. Order your door hangers now! Get it going people!

Greenside Lawncare, LLC
www.Greensidelawncare.com
2010 Chevy Silverado
52" Great Dane 36" Great Dane
83X16 trailer 2011
(2) br 550 Blowers (3) fs 90 trimmers

wellbiz
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I advertise all year long as other have noted. But as far as specific times for certain tasks.

Feb:
Update website, have brochure and door hangers printed. Make sure I have enough business cards, folders ect on hand for the rush of estimates that happen end of March through end of May

Mid March:
Contact last years lawn clients with a welcome back letter. Send Brochure and coupon book to last years one time and landscape clients

End of March:
Start handing out door hangers, put ad back in local paper and ramp up my google adwords.

Pretty simple... Goal this year is to tighten my routes and add 10-20 lawn clients and some larger landscape projects.

Steve
02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I try to lead the increase in interest by about a week.

When you look at the chart, it looks as if the increase in interest begins sometime in February. So would you suggest your advertising around then, where I drew the red arrow?