PDA

View Full Version : John deer Zero turn

pimentel
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
hey guy's im thinking about buying a used john deer Z425 and it's got 130 hours on it is there anything i should be looking for it's got a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin, air-cooled engine in it any feed back would be good

wandfsmall
01-30-2011, 02:50 PM
hey guy's im thinking about buying a used john deer Z425 and it's got 130 hours on it is there anything i should be looking for it's got a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin, air-cooled engine in it any feed back would be good

I would need more info to give you much advice like what year for example. I will say the one pump and 2 wheel motor system does not seem to be holding up any better then the Integrated Hydro systems others are using in fact they seem to be worse. Also the Briggs engines have had a few problems in the area of Air filter housing and load bearings. The load bearing issue is mainly on the 60" mowers and john deere did have some of them that failed in my area. the air filter is the suitcase style air filter people did not put in right making them useless. If you are looking at a homeowner unit it will be fine if you take care of it. But if your going to mow lots of yard I would look for a used commercial unit this one will cost you in upkeep.

pimentel
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
the zero turn is a 2009 model with 130 hours on it and its going for 4000.00 and was only used for his farm he cut about 4 acres a week with it

wandfsmall
01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
the zero turn is a 2009 model with 130 hours on it and its going for 4000.00 and was only used for his farm he cut about 4 acres a week with it

you might want to check your local dealer, they have them new for that here. Another one you also might want to look at is the Hustler Sport you can get one with a Honda engine at a lower price then that new as well.

pimentel
01-30-2011, 06:52 PM
i'm in Canada from Toronto lol our John deer dealers are selling them for 4600.00 plus tax. so should i grab it, is it a good buy even if i bring it down from 4000.00 to 3600.00 ??

wandfsmall
01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
i'm in Canada from Toronto lol our John deer dealers are selling them for 4600.00 plus tax. so should i grab it, is it a good buy even if i bring it down from 4000.00 to 3600.00 ??

if it was me anything above 3600 is too much a lawnmower is like a car you loose the most value when you loose the warranty. Also he is selling it for a reason. Farmers can have green blood, they do not sell John Deere equipment after a year of service for no reason. Personally I would walk away...

you know sometime I should post our trade in checkout on this forum it would help evaluate used equipment.

pimentel
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
thats the thing, its a older lady thats selling it because her husband passed away just before Christmas and now she wants to sell me the zero turn and to cut the lawn for her till July till she moves in with her daughter so i think i'm in a win win situation get the mower for 3600 and get the lawn cutting work

stanleyjd
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
thats a residential mower. seems they are asking what you can almost buy for new. for not much more money you can buy a new commercial maybe not a deere since they are slightly higher in price. there are other mowers that also provide a nice quality cut such as toro or exmark are my other preference. heres a link to see pricing for the model your talking about used.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=JOHN+DEERE&mdltxt=Z425

pimentel
01-31-2011, 09:50 AM
like i said before i live in Canada and new there going for about 4500.00 plus tax 13%

bruces
01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
it sounds like you have made up your mind. the mower isnt a great mower, canada or not its not a great price ,good luck with your purchase .

Steve
02-01-2011, 05:28 AM
How many hours do you expect this mower would last for? Being this is a consumer model, is it now on the last half of it's useful life?