PDA

View Full Version : Craiglist advertising leads to Slander!

shahoo80
01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
OK This really burns me up and pisses me off. Need to get him flagged ASAP.

OK so in Kansas City services section there is a guy posting a ad Lowballing saying he will mow for $10.00 a yard and that he is Licensed and insured. First off I am not sure how he can do that but anyway this is what I did.

I put a listing saying I fix your $10 mow and my information, This morning I get up and take a look sizing up the competition like everyday and there it is. So this guy puts another listing DO NO USE PARADISE LAWN COMPANY which is not my company name but the only PARADISE on Craigslist. This is a copy of what he wrote.

They never came on time I paid them good money and weeks would go by with no mowing very bad caompany

SO first off this guy has other listings in a different part of the city that we do not service, I never take payment before hand and the biggest thing he cannot SPELL! Its the same as his listing's.

So I sent him a email: basically stating either prove your claim or delete the ad if not I would be forced to proceed to take actions to preserve my companies good name and possibly losing potential customers.

Then started another paragraph and said it is way too early to be slamming each other and to hurt each other's business which is how I make my living. I would edit my post if you simply delete your listing ASAP. I dont want to get in a big pissing match but I will protect what's mine.

I am going to see if he removes it, I have told everyone that I know to flag it so it would be removed myself but still remains.

picframer
01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Take the high road, report it and it will be removed, and move on.

bruces
01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
at $10.00 per lawn, you should hire him as a sub and send him to the less desirable properties .
Anyway,Pic is right, take the high road and maybey try to reason with this guy,hopefully there is enough work for all of you .

jymie
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Post the link or links here and let us flag it for you. Us brothers need to stick together!

shahoo80
01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fgs/2182967608.html

andersontl2
01-28-2011, 05:22 PM
OK This really burns me up and pisses me off. Need to get him flagged ASAP.

OK so in Kansas City services section there is a guy posting a ad Lowballing saying he will mow for $10.00 a yard and that he is Licensed and insured. First off I am not sure how he can do that but anyway this is what I did.

I put a listing saying I fix your $10 mow and my information, This morning I get up and take a look sizing up the competition like everyday and there it is. So this guy puts another listing DO NO USE PARADISE LAWN COMPANY which is not my company name but the only PARADISE on Craigslist. This is a copy of what he wrote.

They never came on time I paid them good money and weeks would go by with no mowing very bad caompany

SO first off this guy has other listings in a different part of the city that we do not service, I never take payment before hand and the biggest thing he cannot SPELL! Its the same as his listing's.

So I sent him a email: basically stating either prove your claim or delete the ad if not I would be forced to proceed to take actions to preserve my companies good name and possibly losing potential customers.

Then started another paragraph and said it is way too early to be slamming each other and to hurt each other's business which is how I make my living. I would edit my post if you simply delete your listing ASAP. I dont want to get in a big pissing match but I will protect what's mine.

I am going to see if he removes it, I have told everyone that I know to flag it so it would be removed myself but still remains.

JMO...but if you except what Craigslist is and relize that it is not a perfect venue then I think you will get more out of it, but if you go around worring about what others are saying and doing and flagging then you are going to waste more energy than it is worth. However don't get in a fighting match with a dude (or better yet Duffus) that is only charging $10 to mow, he will wash out before too long anyway. But I liked what bruces said you should hire him as a sub and pay $10 to cut your $35 $40 dollar yards...Art of war quote for you..."The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
Sun-tzu

Good luck and don't wear yourself out over the small stuff!

Steve
01-29-2011, 04:32 AM
This is a very interesting post.

I would make the best ads I could and use them on craigslist. Maybe even using multiple ads with different angles.

One would certainly be the angle of pointing out the problems with a $10 lawn cut.

Another would be to warn people about the dangers of hiring uninsured lawn care businesses. Then resolve their problem by pointing out how you are insured.

Find problems the home owners are dealing with and then solve the problem by showing them you can fix it.

Don't worry about this other kind of crap on there. I highly doubt anyone is going to read it or care about it.

Keep us posted on this.

jdamhof
01-30-2011, 06:10 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fgs/2182967608.html

Good idea to have us help you out- I just flagged it, I haven't had the problems as bas as you, but I can relate to crappy advertising on craigslist. Very frustrating to deal with these people especially when we are trying to do things legit, Hard to compete with the people taking shortcuts and the average consumer doesn't care until something bad happens.

JLH Pro Lawn Care
01-30-2011, 11:25 PM
crappy people will do these things you must rise above it, I've flagged it also just to help ya but seriously I wouldn't worry about the guy I'd use him till he realized 10bucks was way too low lmao!

shahoo80
01-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Guys, for getting this guy Flagged.

It's not that I was so upset just very frustrating as I take so much pride in everything I do to make a good name for my company. I think all of us will go above and beyond to make sure our customers are happy with us. I hate lowballer's it creates problems for the rest of us in one way or another. Even when I was starting out I never lowballed like that, Yes I could mow cheaper than everyone else but wanted to keep my market correct. I may have come in a few dollars cheaper but not a third of the price.

I think most of all it was just a bad day, I mean the last few weeks I have really been working hard to become completly legitite.
We have formed a coporation for the business, Hired a CPA to help us straighten out the taxes and set us up for the year along with the EIN number.
We added work comp insurance so we can feel safe about helpers this year and we are going to be able to bid the counties and cities work this year. And finally increased our business and truck insurance, Plus had to get the vehicle switched over to the business thru the state and so on.

So we have been working our butts off then this guy wants to slam us right off the bat, Yeah bad day..

But thanks guys

Steve
02-01-2011, 06:02 AM
You are welcome.

we are going to be able to bid the counties and cities work this year.

As you grow, these are the kinds of things you want to look more into. You want to sit there and think about the kinds of services you can offer that the average start up can't.

Maybe even specializing in certain areas that take more time to learn how to perform or require equipment that the average start up can't afford and wouldn't bother looking into offering.

Such services should yield you a higher return than you would get by competing with new start ups.

aduttonater
02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
There are people in my city trying to get the top spot at the end of the night on Craigslist. They'll post at 11:58 p.m. and get the top spot for those customers who scroll down all far just to find a yard cleaning company. I've thought about, if the top spot really works. Sometimes it does, but for the most part when I upgraded my ad with use.com I got more calls. Also when I put the link to my pictures page in my ad, I get direct traffic to my before and after pics, which really helps.

Don't worry about the low baller, I see tons of those guys, and really they have motivation for a few nights, then give up.

shahoo80
02-01-2011, 11:37 PM
This year we are focusing on a few points and only adding 1 new service this year. As part of following my business plan this year is pretty much building customers and setting up for my third year. I have set in motion that my 3rd year will be my big year. If this year pans out they way I would like or even close then the start of the 3rd year I will be able to have a nice customer base and starting with all new equipment.
I believe this will allow me to expand in to more commercial accounts and consider adding services.

kdvandco
02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
at $10.00 per lawn, you should hire him as a sub and send him to the less desirable properties .
Anyway,Pic is right, take the high road and maybey try to reason with this guy,hopefully there is enough work for all of you .

thats genius!

Steve
02-02-2011, 08:45 AM
This year we are focusing on a few points and only adding 1 new service this year.

Which service is it and why did you choose to only add that one?