PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Aeration/Dethatching

FloridaBoy
01-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I had a customer ask me about aeration/dethatching there yard. In 16 years of service, this is the first question and/or request i have had for this.

I am in central Florida, with primarily St. Augustine grass. Has anyone in my area provided this service with any good results.

Yard Elements
01-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Wow really 16 years an no aerating? Weird. Yes aerating works well, and so does thatching. Some will prescribed liquid but IMO it isn't the same as the actual.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-27-2011, 12:58 AM
I would use the Arify liquid from Nature's Lawn

Why? Well poking holes in the soil does not actually loosen the soil.

Here is an example

Get a 16 penny nail and an apple
Poke holes in the apple 1/2" apart
The apple does not loosen up it just gets a bunch of holes poked in it.
Same thing happens to your lawn, the soil between the holes is still solid and compacted.

picframer
01-27-2011, 06:06 AM
I would use the Arify liquid from Nature's Lawn

Why? Well poking holes in the soil does not actually loosen the soil.

Here is an example

Get a 16 penny nail and an apple
Poke holes in the apple 1/2" apart
The apple does not loosen up it just gets a bunch of holes poked in it.
Same thing happens to your lawn, the soil between the holes is still solid and compacted.

Agreed 100% having used both, we now have over 120 clients we spray, dethaching mechanical is simply a patch, Aerify is a long term solution. As for thatch, if the lawn is being mowed with sharp blades on a regular basis, you shouldn't have any, however we also use a liquid dethacher which works very well. Check out Natures Lawn Care products, even rent a sprayer to start, study this stuff well before talking to your clients.

Steve
01-28-2011, 04:15 AM
As for thatch, if the lawn is being mowed with sharp blades on a regular basis, you shouldn't have any

How does the sharpness of the blade effect the thatch on a lawn?

picframer
01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
How does the sharpness of the blade effect the thatch on a lawn?

In my experience dull blades can leave clumbs of glass where as sharp blades shred the grass allowing the clippings to brake down faster

Yard Elements
01-29-2011, 01:36 AM
From Washington State University

THATCH REMOVAL
Power rake good quality lawns if thatch exceeds 1/2inch in depth. The removal of dead stems and surface roots and accumulated organic debris of all sorts will prevent excessive thatch formation and the necessity for renovation. As thatch builds up in a lawn, the mower tends to run higher from the ground, especially where lightweight mowers are used. Excess thatch can also serve as a home for insects and increased disease development.

Thatch-
an organic layer of dead and living shoots, stems, and roots that develop between the zone of green vegetation and the soil surface

ipm.ncsu.edu/AG268/html/glossary.htm

Thatch in a lawn can be from improper mulching, but also shallow roots from improper fertilizations and Watering. Thats why it's hard to believe that a spray can do the same exact thing as a power rake. I just don't see how it's possible. It may aid in the decomposition of old organic debris. But really either way you go it has to be down every year or so. Aerating, Thatching with Machines or the spray. it's all just a patch, grass is one most high maintenance plants in the landscape.:):D