PDA

View Full Version : Phone & Gas

Growing Green
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Hi everyone,
I've searched it on this thread and couldn't seem to find anything that specifically talks about gas and phone when it comes to taxes. I currently have a DBA only and if I'm not mistaken this is what I can do when it comes to phone and gas:

Gas: I have to pay all *** with my personal card since I use my truck for both personal and business and I need to log all my mileage so I can take that off the business at end of year? Right?

Phone: I use my cell phone (60% business/40% personal) and I have to pay this as well and just claim it at the end of the year on my taxes right?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Please don't tell me to go see an accountant. LOL I do understand that some of you are outside of the states so I know you will not be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

bruces
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
does your state have a web site to help you through this? the tax system is probably different from state to state ,hopefully your one of the good ones .

mark123
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I pay for gas with my personal account because I claim mileage. Someone told me that since I have my signs on my truck that I can claim all mileage since I'm advertising while driving, even for personal driving. I don't know, I just claim mileage for work on a daily basis. It sure would be easier to do it once per year though.

Ask whoever does your business tax prep. They'll know.

The Cleaning Doctor
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Basic rule of thumb. If you can't document it then you can't deduct it.

mileage yes you need to keep track of it.

Phone I always have one for the business and if I happen to get personal calls???? what can you do? Hint Hint... Get one in the company name.

jymie
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Here is a copy of what I use in my truck for miles.

mark123
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I use the business mileage tracker in Quicken Home and Business.

Growing Green
01-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jymie! I printed it out.

I called a CPA today. Looked at Texas gov websites and it is just terrible and hard to understand. Darn gov't complicates the hell out of everything. Hoping to sit with CPA for 30 minutes or so and get as much info and tax tips as I can.

Thanks again everyone!

Matt

justin_time
01-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Did that before, now I got Mileage Tracker Pro app on my Blackberry, just punch in the mileage in and out and done, report it at the end of the year, gives me a pdf

Steve
01-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Hoping to sit with CPA for 30 minutes or so and get as much info and tax tips as I can.

Keep us posted on what he advises you to do.

Growing Green
02-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Oh I forgot I supposed to respond with what my CPA said. Remember I'm in TX and I work my business as a sole proprietorship so might be different if you run LLC.

Gas/Vehicle Costs

We have two options:

Either report the gas at 51 cents a mile for 2011 or

Keep all gas receipts, license and inspection, vehicle repairs

See what comes out the most and use one of the above. Can't use both.

Phone

CPA told me to pay for it and take it out at the end of the year. I use my phone for about 80% business and 20% personal. So I would add up my bills for the whole year and multiply by 80% and use that as the expense.

Thanks,
Matt

thomas206
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
For gas, I put everything on my personal accounts and just log the miles like you said. It's just easier to track when it comes down to tax time because if you just fill up your tank, it's hard to track what's personal vs. business.

For phone, I was would just do the percentages as you are. I don't typically write off my cell phone because I don't use it much for business except to meet up with clients, so I don't have phone conferences or meetings via telephone.

Steve
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't know how the tariffs are applied to the packages that we used

Tariffs? Can you tell us more about that?