PDA

View Full Version : Building Credit

DillonB92
01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I am 18 Years old! I want to build my credit in hopes one day soon I can get a bigger truck! A Regular cab just isn't working for me. My cell phone will build credit but does it in 6th month intervals. How in the world can i build my credit? I looked at a credit card and then paying it off monthly but No one will give me a credit card because I don't gross enough and I am not in College.:confused:

jymie
01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Go to a rent a center store and make a small purchase to make payments on. Having an income is large in getting credit. Get a job working at a pizza parlor delivering pizzas just so you can present that you have verifiable income. Also you can do that in the evenings when your not cutting grass. When you do secure credit, never miss a payment and never be late making a payment. That is how you build credit.

DillonB92
01-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats what i was thinking. My mom doesn't like the idea because she thinks they are going to pull up at the house in their big RENT TO OWN truck and she thinks she is better than that. Thanks man!

Growing Green
01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
You don't need credit. Just buy used. I bought a great 2001 Ford F150 extended cab that is in great shape for under 4k about 3 months ago. Build slowly and don't go into debt. EVER!

Feel like I'm being a parent. hehe

Matt

DillonB92
01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
But how many miles did it have?

Growing Green
01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
But how many miles did it have?

127k It runs great and hoping to get another 50k miles out of it before I get another used truck. I can sell this one for 3k. Then have some other money saved up then maybe get a $6k truck and slowly upgrade. It isn't as glamarous, but definitely safer.

Matt

DillonB92
01-25-2011, 10:42 PM
well see i don't have that much money. i have my ranger paid off. The trade in is around 7,900 for it. It only has 44K on it but it is just to small! My step dad said the design life on trucks are uusally 300,000 miles. So far that seems to be holding true around here. my friend has a 2000 F150 with 180K on it and it is still running strong. I'm scared to get an older truck because with myluck something will go wrong

jymie
01-25-2011, 10:59 PM
As long as you are diligent on maintenance, whether its a vehicle or mower, it will last a long time.

DillonB92
01-25-2011, 11:01 PM
It's Not me i Am worried about though Its who ever had it before me

Growing Green
01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
I would only buy a one owner vehicle. You can usually tell if the exterior has been taken good care of that they probably took good care of the interior as well.

Matt

bruces
01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
get yourself a capitol one credit card,they give them to anybody,you might have to put down a small deposit of a few hundred bucks .Use the card for some small purchases,always pay the card on time,then it wont take too long and you will have a credit rating .DO NOT MISS OR BE LATE ON YOUR PAYMENTS!!! or you will have to start all over again .

mikey.d.thompson
01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
if you cant afford it with cash, you cant afford it !!!!! work hard and save harder. you'll only make other people rich by using credit. and also new does not always mean better. my 2001 ford excursion with 276,000 miles on the v10 runs as good and drive as well as any new truck. when/if it dies ill put another motor in it for 3000.00 in stead of paying 45,000.00 for a new one. youll learn this in time, i was young and wanted new stuff too but life will change and so will you. good luck

Steve
01-26-2011, 04:05 AM
The thing I wonder is, is this really a credit issue? Can you tell us how your current truck is impeding your growth?

Also, I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on what options you feel you have to grow your business while still using your truck.

950thomas
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Get your parents to co sign a small loan like a grand take the money put in a separate account when the note is due u have the money is in the bank u will pay a little interest but that is the easy way to build credit

DillonB92
01-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Bruces Which card do you suggest from their site?

Mickey D. Thompson, I thought about it. I thought about buying an older chevy or ford. Then using the remaining amount of money to drop a new motor in and fix anything that has gone wrong with it. Where do you buy a new engine and who do do you get to install it?

Steve: Well steve It isn't so much impending on the growth of my business. I mean i paid the truck off. I was never late on a payment so i never really had a choice. Its just a Ranger. 2.3L. The towing capacity on it is enough for the most part. When i hook my trailer up with my Riding Mower Push mower Weedeater and gas cans, It lags in the rear significantly. I think when i upgrade to a zero turn or maybe get a bigger trailer it'll be to much for my truck. I love my truck don't get me wrong! It was my first truck! The Cab on it and the engine size is my only complaint. If i get in the cab with my coat on it just uncomfortable! The seat is back as far as i can take it and i still feel like I'm Right on the steering wheel.
As For What options i have if keeping....WEll the options are endless really. If i do end up keeping it, I will probably save a little bit like Growing Green said and buy me another truck for personal use. Nothing new of course but something that has more room and possibly a 4 wheel drive. I have gotten stuck so many times in my little truck. Upon getting a new truck, I will take my little truck and get it lettered and possibly a Matching paint job for my company. I Can use it in the summer time and Winter time just for working. I want people to be able to recognize it and say oh thats Dillon's Lawn Care! That is something i Can't do with my perrsonal vehicle right now.

I'm just scared to get a truck that is older and has a lot of miles because i have the worst luck with cars.

bruces
01-26-2011, 11:49 PM
its called a secured credit card ,check out their site they will have the info you need .There are other companies with them as well ,but you really have to make sure that the card allows you to build credit ,and that its not just a pre-paid card which is really just a bank card .