PDA

View Full Version : Motor tear down

jasonw
01-24-2011, 01:22 AM
Thanks Steve. I did one today. Learned a few things to and I think it may actually run again some day.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0cWXn-0tWsQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Steve
01-24-2011, 03:53 AM
That is awesome! Great job!

Now you can clean it all up. Maybe change the piston ring and replace some gaskets and put it all back together.

Clean out all the carb parts as well and I bet you get the thing running again.

bruces
01-24-2011, 10:57 AM
make sure you figure out your cost to repair it ,I have seen featherlight trimmers for $50.00 brand new around here before .

wandfsmall
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
make sure you figure out your cost to repair it ,I have seen featherlight trimmers for $50.00 brand new around here before .

That is why I will not work on a Weedeater brand weedeater engine. By the time I put a part on it the bill it too high

bruces
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
That is why I will not work on a Weedeater brand weedeater engine. By the time I put a part on it the bill it too high

thats very true,but there are a few larger lawn companies using them and they are happy with them .They buy 10 of them for the price of 2 real ones ,then carry an extra or two in the truck .Something goes wrong,they just grab the next one and go .I cant say what they are doing is wrong as it works well for them .I live near a huge city park with 4 fully fenced ball parks in it .I have seen the featherlight squad trim all the fences inside and out without incident ,and one time I asked the operator how long they lasted,he said he usually gets 3/4 season out of one,but had one of them last the whole season .Since he bought so many identical units,he is able to strip whatever is left from his dead soldiers to keep the others alive .

wandfsmall
01-24-2011, 09:20 PM
thats very true,but there are a few larger lawn companies using them and they are happy with them .They buy 10 of them for the price of 2 real ones ,then carry an extra or two in the truck .Something goes wrong,they just grab the next one and go .I cant say what they are doing is wrong as it works well for them .I live near a huge city park with 4 fully fenced ball parks in it .I have seen the featherlight squad trim all the fences inside and out without incident ,and one time I asked the operator how long they lasted,he said he usually gets 3/4 season out of one,but had one of them last the whole season .Since he bought so many identical units,he is able to strip whatever is left from his dead soldiers to keep the others alive .

I can see your point, if you have a crew that tear things up all of the time it is a good idea, but I have seen highway and cemetery crews run redmax trimmers for 10 years only replacing fuel lines. So a good piece of equipment could easily pay for itself over its life. I see no problem with a featherlight trimmer just can not really work on them as it just pisses people off to get a $45 repair bill on a $50 trimmer. And by the time you tear it down and replace a part you can have that in the trimmer without much effort.

Another one is the Poulan Pro trimmers that the recoil breaks on it, you try to replace the rope and the plastic is warped and will not go back together. Add that to 30 min to replace a rope when they could have put the rope start on the back for a 5 min fix the stuff is designed to be tossed.

Steve
01-25-2011, 04:03 AM
I can see your point, if you have a crew that tear things up all of the time it is a good idea, but I have seen highway and cemetery crews run redmax trimmers for 10 years only replacing fuel lines.

What price range would you suggest a lawn care business owner look to pay for a good trimmer if they decided to go that route?

Is there any specific maintenance on the machine you would suggest they do to maximize the lifespan of such equipment?

wandfsmall
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
What price range would you suggest a lawn care business owner look to pay for a good trimmer if they decided to go that route?

Is there any specific maintenance on the machine you would suggest they do to maximize the lifespan of such equipment?

The only maintance I recommend on a trimmer is greasing the shaft, chainging the air filters, and spark plugs when needed. And as for fuel I recommend using SEF or True Fuel in the last tank of fuel for the year. This will keep the crap we buy at the store out of our engines in the winter time. For some reason sitting in the engines is doing damage to them. Also you have to replace the fuel lines from time to time.

Another good time is a cap full of seafoam once a year if you use it on anything else.

Also if you own a 4mix make sure you adjust the valves on it. Otherwise it will break down on you. Almost forgot that part as I do not sell 4mix units(I am not a fan of them)

bruces
01-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I am hearing that the fuel issues have something to do with the ethanol ,in Canada we dont have as much ethanol in our fuel and we have been doing alright,but the fuel goes stale in a hurry though .

wandfsmall
01-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I am hearing that the fuel issues have something to do with the ethanol ,in Canada we dont have as much ethanol in our fuel and we have been doing alright,but the fuel goes stale in a hurry though .

yes that is the problem with fuel. It causes the fuel to go bad quickly and can cause corrosion in parts and fuel line when it is breaking down.