PDA

View Full Version : Spinniken Lawn & Irrigation

matt spinniken
01-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey guys,

Thought I would let everyone know a little about my company. We have been in business since 02, currently I have 4 full timers, we offer lawn maintenance and irrigation install and service.

I love this business, I dont have any pics to post but if you want check out my website: www.spinnikenlawn.com

Steve
01-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Hi Matt,

I checked out your site and it looks great! I love that you got your picture there on the front page.

Being that you have been in business now for quite sometime, what do you attribute your success too? Why do you think so many new business owners tend to fail?

Do you feel you have been challenged over time and figured out how to move beyond issues that might snag other business owners?

matt spinniken
01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Steve,

Thanks for checking out my site, I appreciate the feedback! I have a looong way to go before I am completely happy with my business, but I will try and lay out a couple things that I have learned.

I got started with an old lawn tractor a pair of lawn scissors and a broom. For me it was important to start slow and grow only with the money that was coming in. To this day I have never taken out a loan, and I think that was a huge part of making this work. To many people go out and buy new mowers and get a truck payment when all they have is maybe 25 accounts to service. I say buy used and only upgrade when you need to, once you get bigger it makes more sense to buy nicer equipment but in the early stages the money is usually not there.

Also, I think it is important to read good business books. A lot of people know how to mow grass or install a patio but not many have a good business mind. Try books like: E-Myth, Integrity Service, Selling the Invisible, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, See you at the Top...etc. (When I started I would mow with headphones on a listen to different books on business...I read a lot of books this way!)

Steve
01-25-2011, 02:37 AM
I have a looong way to go before I am completely happy with my business, but I will try and lay out a couple things that I have learned.

What is your view on what would make you happy with your business? Do you feel these are goals others should be striving for as well after being in business the amount of time you have?

How do you know where you should be after this period of time or is this not a concern?

matt spinniken
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I think everyone's goals should be different and based on what they want out of their business. To me each business owner should figure out what they want to make in income and then use business knowledge to figure out how to get there.

I don't think I will ever be completely happy with my business, if I was completely happy with it, it would be time to move on to something else because I would have nothing left to do. Right now I am working on systems in my business to make us more effecient.

(I dont know if this answered any of your questions :)

Steve
02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
That does make sense.

Right now I am working on systems in my business to make us more effecient.

Maybe part of finding happiness with your business is finding ways to run it as smoothly as possible.

What parts of their business do you feel lawn care business owners should look to find inefficiencies and how do you suggest they make them more efficient?

devuono311
02-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Matt,
As a fellow Michigander, I think its great to see your success. Your website is excellent, its simply stated, yet if a person wants to read deeper into what you are offering the option is there, just click on it... Its nice to see someone else take this seriously and not as a way to just "get by" until they are called back to work. You know the type, the get laid off, pull their old mower out of the shed dust it off and start writing flyers on notebook paper with a marker and poor penmanship. Low-balling thinking they will make a buck until they cant figure out where they will get next weeks gas money from to continue yet somehow do... Anyhow, GREAT JOB, hang in there as you look like a perfect example of what I'm striving to become in this business.