PDA

View Full Version : Rototilling service

JessyMathers
01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Has anyone offered a rototilling service with their lawn care company? If so did you pick up a lot of customers for this service? was it a good moneymaker for time spent on the job?

Thanks

mark123
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I was considering it but reading up on organic lawn care I discovered it's not beneficial to soil life. Apparently, it does more harm than good.

shahoo80
01-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I did last year and will continue. I thought about it after hearing a article on the news about the seed manufactures were seeing a growth in business for garden seeds. With the ecomony the way it is more and more people are making veggie gardens myself included and have for years growing up on a farm seems natural.

It went over real big as soon as the grounds thaws enough to get the tiller in it. I had a friend that had a used rear tine and he wanted 150 so I thought I needed one anyway so I bought it and running the ads and out it on my website as a new service. Most of my customers was one time service but a few wanted to replant again in fall that I hit again or till the compost in the soil for the winter.

I ended up pulling in over 3800 and I was late starting and gained a customer base again for this year. I thought it was great for only having to purchase equipment for 150 and it is still going strong. I am going to buy a new one this year and sell the old one for the same price that I bought it for. There were several that wanted big plots tilled for like Community or church gardens that i just could not do but have a guy that mows my pastures for me that did it for me and I made a few dollars of it. Im hoping this year to buy my own tractor to do my own pasture mowing and bigger tilling but the business cant afford it yet.

picframer
01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Has anyone offered a rototilling service with their lawn care company? If so did you pick up a lot of customers for this service? was it a good moneymaker for time spent on the job?

Thanks

We did 67 last season, 43 the year before, very good money, our tillers are 48 & 60" wide so it's quick, really good money, close to $90 an hour

Steve
01-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Were most of those jobs for gardens or for full lawn tilling to replace the lawn?

Also did you find any of the jobs led to other work either by the customer or through their neighbors?

devuono311
02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I offered rototilling last year, and I made out like a champ. Done right it can pay out good. It isnt too bad to price. Figure out a rough estimate of time it will take you to do it, times your hourly rate, plus fuel and such. I averaged 35 - 65 dollars profit per job.

Heres a couple tips:
Keep a couple extra tines on hand , you never know when you will hit that boulder under the earth.
Dont till too deep and
be aware of underground lines, pipes, or wires.

Its a short lived span of business but tilling for people who want to plant a garden or flower beds can bring good business.

Good Luck

Steve
02-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Its a short lived span of business but tilling for people who want to plant a garden or flower beds can bring good business.

What is your view on when and how this should be marketed? Did you perform this service only for your lawn care customers or did you reach out to others as well?

devuono311
02-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I advertised early as I do mowing and kept advertising the rototilling seperately and combined through july. Majority and I mean roughly 98% of my rototilling customers where May thru June. This service was open to everyone , even if they didnt aquire my mowing services.

Steve
02-05-2011, 07:00 AM
I advertised early as I do mowing and kept advertising the rototilling seperately and combined through july.

What do you feel was the benefit of advertising the services separately and combined?

And what is your view on the best ways to market rototilling services? Through craigslist? Or maybe on flyers? Or something else?

devuono311
02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
The benefit of advertising rototilling seperate and combined was that some people seem to assume if its a lawn care co. advertising the service they must be expensive. By advertising both combined and seperate, I cover all areas. The local penny saver seems to be my best source of advertising this service as well as others. However, I always advertise on craigslist as it is free anyways. Just when I inquire where people saw my services the majority respond with the local free paper.

Steve
02-06-2011, 08:32 AM
The benefit of advertising rototilling seperate and combined was that some people seem to assume if its a lawn care co. advertising the service they must be expensive. By advertising both combined and seperate, I cover all areas.

So you might for instance put two ads in a penny saver newspaper? One that promotes lawn care and another that promotes rototilling? Or do you separate your ads only in your craigslist advertising?

devuono311
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I actually run about four ads with different layouts including both lawn service and rototilling, lawn service alone, and rototilling alone. The way I see it is, as long as you present your company professionally the more people see your name in the papers, on the internet, door hangers, bulletin boards, and yard signs, the more likely they are to give you a call.

Steve
02-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Do you ever experiment with tracking which ad is pulling in the calls? You could have some kind of discount code on the ad and ask for it when the customer calls, or use different phone numbers too.

devuono311
02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
I havent as of thus far, however, I AM implementing something this year to track those results. Most likely discount codes as you mentioned.

shahoo80
02-07-2011, 08:54 AM
And it doesnt take much equipment to do the jobs either, And for the real small flower beds I had the attachment for a trimmer which can be used for other things besides new beds. This year Im launching a new service for Personal Garden Assistant's. Which I will be using the small attachment trimmer tiller for weeding peoples veggie gardens which will save time and backs by pulling weeds.