PDA

View Full Version : Price List

mathteacherj
01-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Okay folks,

I have tried without success to find a thread where people put their average charge for various services. Because I could not find one, I figured I'd either ask for someone to post the link to that conversation, OR, I would be willing to take the values that you reply with and average them all out. I guess that what I'm looking for are the prices for services including, but not limited to:
1. Mulching- Do you charge by the hour, yard of mulch, delivery, etc
2. Fertilizing-
3. Clean-Up-
4. Sod work-
5. Seeding-
6. Aeration-
7. Dethatching-
8. Gutter Cleaning-
9. Power Washing-
10. Landscaping Services- Bed shaping, edging, plantings, etc
11. Construction- Walkways, decks, etc
12. Tree Trimming-
13. Weeding-
14. Snow Removal-
15. Stone work- River rock, etc
ETC...

Now, I realize that every job can be different, and I get that what you quote will be different for every job. However, I am looking for the number that is in your head that you use to make quotes. I also understand that there are a lot of factors that can be found on the calculators on this site that include truck payments, etc, but I just lump all that together and say I want to make $xx dollars per hour.

Sorry so long-winded, but I'd greatly appreciate all of your input. This could be a great list if we get as many people to respond as possible.

Thanks,

Jason
Young's Home/Lawn Care
Fort Wayne, IN

Growing Green
01-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Okay folks,

I have tried without success to find a thread where people put their average charge for various services. Because I could not find one, I figured I'd either ask for someone to post the link to that conversation, OR, I would be willing to take the values that you reply with and average them all out. I guess that what I'm looking for are the prices for services including, but not limited to:
2. Fertilizing-
3. Clean-Up-
4. Sod work-
5. Seeding-
6. Aeration-
7. Dethatching-
8. Gutter Cleaning-
9. Power Washing-
12. Tree Trimming-
13. Weeding-
14. Snow Removal-
ETC...

Now, I realize that every job can be different, and I get that what you quote will be different for every job. However, I am looking for the number that is in your head that you use to make quotes. I also understand that there are a lot of factors that can be found on the calculators on this site that include truck payments, etc, but I just lump all that together and say I want to make $xx dollars per hour.

Sorry so long-winded, but I'd greatly appreciate all of your input. This could be a great list if we get as many people to respond as possible.

Thanks,

Jason
Young's Home/Lawn Care
Fort Wayne, IN

My quotes:

1. Mulching - $35 a hour to spread. I charge the customer the amount of mulch and delivery fee as well.
2. Fertilizing - $30 a hour
3. Clean-Up - $35 a hour
4. Sod work - Don't do
5. Seeding - Don't do
6. Aeration - Depends on size, but I charge $25 on
7. Dethatching - Don't do
8. Gutter Cleaning - Don't do
9. Power Washing - Don't do
10. Landscaping Services- Bed shaping, edging, plantings, etc - $35 a hour
11. Construction - Don't do
12. Tree Trimming - $35 a hour
13. Weeding - $30 a hour
14. Snow Removal - Don't do
15. Stone work - Don't do

Another one to add - Composting - I charge $35 a hour on this as well. Customer is responsible for delivery charge and amount for product. I roll it all up into one price though and charge customer or I give them the option to roll it into the annual package to make it easier that a $200 - $300 one time charge.

Hope this helps.

Matt

mathteacherj
01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks Matt! That's exactly what I am looking for. So, if you only take 20 minutes for a Fert job, do you only charge approx 10 dollars or do you have a minimum?

Growing Green
01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Matt! That's exactly what I am looking for. So, if you only take 20 minutes for a Fert job, do you only charge approx 10 dollars or do you have a minimum?

Yes, something like that. Just depends as I want to include some of the time that it takes me to go pick the bags up every week or so. I actually put a proposal together today and estimated that it would cost the customer $10 for the fertilizer on a 1645 sf yard and that it would take me about 20 -25 minutes to complete. I told customer I would charge them $30 for my time and for the fertilizer. So was a little more than $10 for every 20 minutes. I felt stingy. ;)

Matt

jymie
01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
You should have a minimum charge. Use the hourly charge you decide on as your mimimum.

mark123
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
My quotes:
... 2. Fertilizing - $30 a hour ...
How do you charge by the hour for fertilizing? I charge by the square foot.

A 20k square feet lawn takes about 30 minutes. I charge $79. Using your formula I'd only get $15 putting down $40 of material.

... a 1645 sf yard and that it would take me about 20 -25 minutes ... That should only take about 2 minutes. ;)

wellbiz
01-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Okay folks,

2. Fertilizing-
3. Clean-Up-
4. Sod work-
5. Seeding-
6. Aeration-
7. Dethatching-
8. Gutter Cleaning-
9. Power Washing-
12. Tree Trimming-
13. Weeding-
14. Snow Removal-
ETC...

Thanks,

Jason
Young's Home/Lawn Care
Fort Wayne, IN

1. Mulching- $35 a yard to install plus the cost of the mulch and delivery
2. Fertilizing- Dont do
3. Clean-Up- $45 an hour +disposal fee and materials
4. Sod work- to many possiblities to list a price
5. Seeding- "same"
6. Aeration- $40 for a typical lot
7. Dethatching- $50-100 depending on the size and amount of material that needs to be cleaned up.
8. Gutter Cleaning- $1.00 per foot, more for wierd roofs or poor access, etc
9. Power Washing- no longer offer this service
10. Landscaping Services- Bed shaping, edging, plantings, etc $45-50 an hour
11. Construction- Walkways, decks, etc dont do
12. Tree Trimming- Tree and hedge trimming is dependent on size and variety for pricing. Could be $5 a shrub to a few hundred dollars.
13. Weeding- Typically $45 an hour
14. Snow Removal- $25-40 per drive.

Just like the industry average I try to bring in about $45 per man hour. This covers my overhead leaves me a nice profit and pays for my time. If I can I will charge more. I dont however price by the hour. I always price by the job. I know how long it will take me to perform a job and price accordingly.

Jay

mathteacherj
01-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks a ton, Jay!! That's exactly the general figures I'm looking for. I know all jobs are different and I don't want to be one of those "low ballets" nor do I want to be too expensive. Thanks for your great response.

mathteacherj
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, smart phones are great sometimes. I meant "low BALLERS" :-) but the phone apparently knew better.

mark123
01-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah, smart phones are great sometimes. I meant "low BALLERS" :-) but the phone apparently knew better.

HAHA, yeah. There's a web site dedicated to autocorrect fun:
http://damnyouautocorrect.com/4769/really-hungry/ :D

Growing Green
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
How do you charge by the hour for fertilizing? I charge by the square foot.

A 20k square feet lawn takes about 30 minutes. I charge $79. Using your formula I'd only get $15 putting down $40 of material.

That should only take about 2 minutes. ;)

Well this shows my lack of experience. I've only done small yards so far. If it is something that big then yes will be more money and I guess it wouldn't be by the hour. When I say 20 minutes to do that I'm adding in the time for me to go get fertilizer, etc.. I don't store anything in my garage as it is crowded enough with equipment. :D

I use a simple Scotts spreader. What do you use if it is a 11k s.f. lawn?

Matt

mark123
01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
... What do you use if it is a 11k s.f. lawn? I use this for everything:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/ShindaiwaRS76.jpg
I should have gone with the Andersons SR-2000 but I didn't have the cash at the time.

I may step up to a PermaGreen (http://permagreen.com/triumph/) some day.

Growing Green
01-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I use this for everything:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/ShindaiwaRS76.jpg
I should have gone with the Andersons SR-2000 but I didn't have the cash at the time.

I may step up to a PermaGreen (http://permagreen.com/triumph/) some day.

Man that is nice! I want one badly!!! Lot's of fun growing the business slowly and buying better and better equipment.

Matt