PDA

View Full Version : wearing jeans to an interview

Andrew7dg
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
So I went in for an interview for a landscape maintenance/design/crew leader position. It went really well I believe. However when I got home my girlfriend noticed I was wearing Jeans and she almost went nuts "YOU WORE JEANS TO AN INTERVIEW?! YOU NEVER WEAR JEANS TO AN INTERVIEW!!!"

I thought I dressed really nice. They are a styled pair a jeans that I wouldn't normally wear to a job site. I also wore a nice sweater and my best coat. I also wore a brand new pair of red wing work boots. I want to give the impression that I am a good dresser however I also want them thinking that I am a hard worker and I look like I work outdoors. I thought I balanced it pretty well.

I guess did I blow it because I wore jeans or do you think in the back of their mind they were thinking "wow can't believe he wore jeans to an interview"

However we are in the landscape/lawn maintenance industry. I understand that we should dress nice for an interview (and I did) but this question goes out to people who have interviewed.

What would you think if your interviewee that you are hiring in the green industry showed up in blue jeans?

DillonB92
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I wore jeans to an interview but ofcourse it was just baskin Robbins. I got hired. My mom said if it were anything nicer then maybe different pants but I think for landscaping it would be perfect.

bruces
01-20-2011, 03:46 PM
as long as the jeans were not dirty,ripped,with crap sewn on them ,then jeans are perfectly acceptable .Hopefully you didnt have any safety pins stuck in your cheek ,or 17 pieces of metal in your lips,eyes,nose, or the 2 inch hole in your extended ear ,I wouldnt hire something like that .

CHEESE2009
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Men. Think of the customers point of view.

She hired a landscaper, be prepared to landscape (even if not booked to do work)... You may have to get dirty when giving a quote. Showing her how things will be done, by example.

If I hired a guy to do some landscaping and he stopped by all dressed up, I'd feel rushed. He looks too "important" to take the time necessary to get involved and jump into a mess, which hey.. I might actually have waiting.

"I want a porch built, and I want it to extend past my bushes, trees, & river of hell"

Try getting a view of all that wearing fancy pants, lol. You'll look like a sad version of James Bond rolling around in the dirt.

I go to my customers dressed as if I am ready to work. If they see me in my uniform, they will think, "Hey, he's willing to get started - get his hands dirty... roll around in the yard making shouting noises"

Don't go as someone they only see once. This person is not your girlfriend/wife on Valentines day. It's business, and our business isn't the same as others - we don't wear suits daily, so we don't wear suits at all!

Unless we're going to wear them every day, we'll just look ridiculous.

I hope this had helped! I better start reading posts before I respond. lol, I'm truly sorry for any misunderstandings.

Facts about me

1. I can't move in jeans

2. I don't wear shorts as the trimmer debris gets the best of me

3. Track pants work wonders - light as a feather and you can move in them baby! It's like streaking, you can really feel the Breeze... AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*drinks himself to sleep* jks

CHEESE2009
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
So I went in for an interview for a landscape maintenance/design/crew leader position. It went really well I believe. However when I got home my girlfriend noticed I was wearing Jeans and she almost went nuts "YOU WORE JEANS TO AN INTERVIEW?! YOU NEVER WEAR JEANS TO AN INTERVIEW!!!"

I thought I dressed really nice. They are a styled pair a jeans that I wouldn't normally wear to a job site. I also wore a nice sweater and my best coat. I also wore a brand new pair of red wing work boots. I want to give the impression that I am a good dresser however I also want them thinking that I am a hard worker and I look like I work outdoors. I thought I balanced it pretty well.

I guess did I blow it because I wore jeans or do you think in the back of their mind they were thinking "wow can't believe he wore jeans to an interview"

However we are in the landscape/lawn maintenance industry. I understand that we should dress nice for an interview (and I did) but this question goes out to people who have interviewed.

What would you think if your interviewee that you are hiring in the green industry showed up in blue jeans?

This is what I mean, I have to learn to read....

Ok, so the game has changed, this is you being hired by a businessman....

Simple............................................ ......................

It's the same thing I wrote previously. Though there are two ways this can go....

A businessman can choose a light hint of vulnerability in a worker, someone who shows up looking as if they are hard working, and ready to work. Someone who looks as if they can handle the jobs given.

or

You can hire the guy in the suit, who I would assume has no idea what he's signed up for. Though you can respect his ways, it's classic to dress up for an interview - though this doesn't show me anything, it's "fake". I want to see my worker, how he is on his own time. I want to see him dressed as he would if I bumped into him at the store.

Only then can I see his somewhat personality, and it's better now - because it will soon pop up eventually and I might not be prepared for it and things can go wrong. Honesty, is what I'm saying.

You are going to do fine my friend, I wouldn't bother stressing over anything.

ALSO:

Tell your girlfriend the guys on the forum like your jeans, and that they will forever be the pants in your relationship when they start bringing in that gold. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

picframer
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Personally and we interview a lot of people, it doesn't matter to me, on jobsites however I require staff wear landscapers pants or shorts, T shirts are fine, for the ladies no halter tops or short shorts, actally had a complaint from a client last year as one of the femals supervisors, wasn't wearing enough....

Andrew7dg
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
About honesty, thats how I feel like when I walk into an interview with what I was wearing. I tried to explain that to my girlfriend. I wouldn't want to be too over dressed. Just seems like I would be too desperate and trying to hide something. I feel like the interviewer would know me the best if I wore my "good street" clothes.

It would be completely different if I was going in for a business interview or some sort of desk job. No I am out in the field and I also have to dress comfortably for the weather. almost -10 degrees here....

ritchiem
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Jeans are fine...lol, in fact I have never hired someone that showed up in a suit.

Hedgemaster
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Tough for me to answer, as I have always interviewed for positions that would require a suit to be worn for the interview. I can think of very few times where a suit would not be the ideal dress, but I suppose this is one of them.
I would have elected to wear khakis and a plain shirt and tie/no jacket.

matt spinniken
01-21-2011, 12:00 AM
I think everyone that I have ever interviewed was wearing jeans...or close to it. Unless I was hiring for a management/office work job I would never expect someone to come in dressed up with slacks etc. A clean look is certainly a plus though.