PDA

View Full Version : "Walker Mower" or walk on?

Green Machine
01-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Hey all: Just getting started in SLC UT, and here is one of my questions for you. Should I go big and buy a used 42in Walker Mower? Keeping in mind I do not have any accounts yet.

I have all the other equip I need including 2 21 inch mowers (1 mulcher and 1 bagger). Also recently purchased a truck with a dump-bed so I'm feeling anxious about spending another 6k on this mower. But understand it's value as I get going. Thanks for your thoughts.

mark123
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
I've looked at them but since I don't collect grass clippings I really wasn't very interested.

The fifth wheel (under the collection bin) leaves a wiggly track in the lawn.
They are slow.
They are high maintenance.

Those that own them will argue these points. I don't care though. My next mower will be a 52" ZTR.

racerdude711
01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
If you live in an area with fenced in yards and gates to get through, I would definitely not get a mower that big. I think you would be much better off to spend maybe $1000-1500 on a 36" walk behind. The 36" will fit through most gates, yet still giving you a wider cut than a 21" Also, your gunna be saving $4500-5000 if you go with the 36". And with that savings, I think the best investment you could make with it is ADVERTISING! You have nothing now. Go get some flyers, door hangers, vehicle lettering, business cards, ect. Get your name out there, build up clientele, and buy new expensive equipment as necessary. Just my advice.

Green Machine
01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
That's sound advice. I was leaning that way, but needed to hear it from someone else. Thank you. Any thoughts on a brand/model? Catcher or not?

Steve
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Should I go big and buy a used 42in Walker Mower? Keeping in mind I do not have any accounts yet.

Why are you considering 'going big' at this point in your business development? It seems like you have enough equipment for a great start. If you keep that money in the bank, you will be able to quickly scale up as you need too.

mark123
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
That's sound advice. I was leaning that way, but needed to hear it from someone else. Thank you. Any thoughts on a brand/model? Catcher or not? Remember with mowers it's either payments or parts. If you buy new you get payments, if you buy used you're also going to need parts. Either way, have a back up plan, either another mower or a good friend that will lend you one. :)

Green Machine
01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Why are you considering 'going big' at this point in your business development? It seems like you have enough equipment for a great start. If you keep that money in the bank, you will be able to quickly scale up as you need too.

Steve: Thanks. This forum is very helpful.

I thought I should have a mower that could handle bigger accounts, that is why I was considering this route. I see now I can get by with what I have or something much cheaper.

On this same note, I bought an F350 diesel with a dumpbed on it; it was an old chipper truck and I got a descent deal on it. Now I am second guessing myself as it is a fairly large. Again, wanted to have something for cleanups and to deliver materials as I would like to position myself as a landscape company and not just lawn care.

Green Machine
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Remember with mowers it's either payments or parts. If you buy new you get payments, if you buy used you're also going to need parts. Either way, have a back up plan, either another mower or a good friend that will lend you one. :)

Again, Great advice. Thanks

950thomas
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
That chipper truck would be great to put a billy goat debris loader on for leaf season and a f350 is not to big for this type of work
What u can do with the chipper truck is make the top removable that way u have a chipper truck when u need it or can be a true dump truck for mulch and other stuff in it that is how they are makeing them now

Steve
01-21-2011, 02:57 AM
I bought an F350 diesel with a dumpbed on it; it was an old chipper truck and I got a descent deal on it. Now I am second guessing myself as it is a fairly large. Again, wanted to have something for cleanups and to deliver materials as I would like to position myself as a landscape company and not just lawn care.

Give us a little insight now as to your thought process of why you are second guessing yourself and what you feel at this moment would work better for you?

Green Machine
01-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Give us a little insight now as to your thought process of why you are second guessing yourself and what you feel at this moment would work better for you?

Well, I own a 2007 Tundra, so I could have potentially used this to start my business. I bought the F350 with the dump-bed because I did not want to be limited by capacity to haul material, cleanups, trees etc, AND, I did not want to trash my daily driver. However, it was a $7700 investment on the truck, so I am second guessing this decision a bit (insurance, maintaining another truck, diesel fuel etc).

I am looking at a nice 36in mower with a skuly for about $950 (belt driven, Toro I believe). So I am glad to not be buying an expensive Walker and keeping the rest of my reserves for advertising and in the bank.

I guess my thought process going into this was to set myself apart by making a an investment into a truck and to start as professional as possible. There are a lot of folks loading up their mowers into the back of Blazers and undercutting prices in this town. I'm not judging, everyone needs to make a living. I just thought having a nicer set-up would allow me to go after the more affluent properties and better jobs.

Your continued thoughts are appreciated. Thank You.

Green Machine
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
That chipper truck would be great to put a billy goat debris loader on for leaf season and a f350 is not to big for this type of work
What u can do with the chipper truck is make the top removable that way u have a chipper truck when u need it or can be a true dump truck for mulch and other stuff in it that is how they are makeing them now

Yup, it's got a roll-away net up top. And, I have never heard of a billy goat debris loader...please elaborate.

yearroundyardwork
01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
have you considered looking for a plow for this truck possibly? i would think a truck of that size would be decent for plowing. this way you work all year round and the burden of paying off the truck is distributed over more services, possibly allowing you to lower your prices or make more profit. just spitballing here though

Steve
01-25-2011, 03:48 AM
I guess my thought process going into this was to set myself apart by making a an investment into a truck and to start as professional as possible.

What other things are you doing or planning on doing to set yourself apart? What about truck or trailer signs? Uniforms? I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on that?

What do you feel sets one lawn care business apart from another? What would be the deciding factor for you if you were to hire one for your own property and weren't in the business?

yearroundyardwork
02-05-2011, 10:32 PM
ive known billy goats to be things like leaf vacuums. you use them for sucking up large amounts of leaves and then taking the bag off and dumping them. however, i have seen them used at several festivals to pick up garbage that would take hours to pick up by hand.