PDA

View Full Version : Tips/advice for new business

yearroundyardwork
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of starting a lawn business this summer. I'm in Cincinnati. I will be 16 when I get the business going. I'm trying to purchase a wide area mower to use, so anyone nearby who has a decent one it would help. The problem I have is that right now I have a few lawns in the neighborhood I do now. My problem is that I would like to get some larger businesses in the area but since I don't have a official licensed business should I try to get accounts under the table or just stick to knocking out more residential jobs?

jymie
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
No business is going to let you. They all require Businesses that are legit and have appropriate insurance. Once you turn 18, then you would be able to go down that road.

Steve
01-19-2011, 02:35 AM
I'd say keep it easy at first. Work with your neighbors and people living in your area. Then as you scale up, you will already know the basics of how to perform the services you are selling and how to operate your business.

yearroundyardwork
01-19-2011, 10:54 PM
That's what I did this past summer. I got a few lawns and figured out the basics: mowing, trimming, blowing walks off, and edging if they wanted it. This summer I'm looking to get some more accounts if I can get a larger mower.

Steve
01-20-2011, 02:24 AM
What is your view on why you feel you need a larger mower? What do you want to get?

matt spinniken
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Years ago I started in my neighborhood by knocking on as many doors as I could. I had enough customers to do pretty well, I would wait on purchasing much equipment. Save your money until you get the customers, and then purchase equipment as you need. I literally used lawn scissors to trim when I had under 10 accounts.

Steve
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
What kind of equipment did you start with and what were some of the early equipment upgrades you purchased?

As you look back now, would you have done anything differently? Maybe purchased some equipment that you didn't or wish you didn't purchase some equipment that you did?

yearroundyardwork
01-24-2011, 08:18 PM
i just started with basic residential equipment, a 22" mower, ryobi weed whacker and blower. the trimmer and mower kicked at the end of last year. i am waiting on a sale for a new ryobi trimmer. as for the lawn mower, i figured if i start getting more accounts, a larger mower would be helpful. plus i have a larger yard myself. so it made more sense to use the money from a push mower and put it towards a larger mower now rather than get a small one again and have to buy a larger one in a few years.

jymie
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't get another Ryobi trimmer, I went through 2 of them in 4 months. Worst trimmer i ever bought. The pull cord kept locking. Major PIA

yearroundyardwork
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
tahts odd because the one we had lasted over 10 years. granted it was only used once a week

USA Lawn Care
01-29-2011, 10:23 PM
what part of cincinnati?

yearroundyardwork
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
college hill area. why? and where are you?

USA Lawn Care
01-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm on the east side......was just curious.
Being 16, take it slow.........pay cash when you have it but if you want to upgrade to a larger mower, do it with profits only.
I'm assuming you have a small pick up truck? Running out of the back of a pick up with a set of ramps works just fine. You could probably get by with a 36" mower for now. Talk with some local dealers or call around to see if they have any good used 36" mowers. Just concentrate on making money, upgrade, make more money, upgrade.....hang around this forum and you will be just fine. Coming onto this site and reading as much as you possibly can will be the best thing you can do. Also, only buy what you need...when you need it. Don't get caught up in all this fancy stuff.

stanleyjd
01-31-2011, 04:07 AM
Ryobi trimmers are junk i used them for years starting out. if your still looking for something thats affordable buy and echo then get a sthil later or when you can afford it. stihl is some of the best equipment i have used. i will never buy anything less

yearroundyardwork
01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Actually all my lawns last summer were within a mile of my house so I tied my mower to the back on my bike and hauled it that way. Once I get my license I would start looking for a pick-up. As for mowers I am trying to contact someone about buying their used 44". However, I still Check craigs list everyday. I would buy it with cash saved from last summer.

I'll think about that when buying a trimmer. Does echo or stihl trimmers have the multiple attachments? That's why i like ryobi.

jymie
01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, they both can be bought with attachments

ECHO (http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/ProductCategory.aspx?Category=proattach)

STIHL (http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/gear-box.html)

Hope these help...

LawnMoore
01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
What you want to remember with Stihl equipment, is to buy the "professional" grade!

Echo is good stuff too, but not as good as Stihl in my eyes.

I own around 5k dollars worth of stihl Chainsaws and trimmers, etc.

There expensive but well worth the $$$

stanleyjd
02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
What you want to remember with Stihl equipment, is to buy the "professional" grade!

Echo is good stuff too, but not as good as Stihl in my eyes.

I own around 5k dollars worth of stihl Chainsaws and trimmers, etc.

There expensive but well worth the $$$

i second that one. knew i should have mentioned commercial grade haha:D

yearroundyardwork
02-05-2011, 10:29 PM
ok ill look into those. new question: what should i go with for doing driveways in the winter? i am trying to purchase a snowblower, but i dont know what kind to look for. a 1 stage is cheaper and getsd down to the pavement, but cant handle large amounts of snow(i.e. over 6-8 inches), dont work well on gravel or driveways with loose stones or uneven surfaces, and they also dont have very wide intakes. they do go quicker and use less fuel though.
a 2 stage snow blower is more expensive, doesnt get down to the pavement, and uses more fuel, but also has a wider intake, more height, can handle cracks and small stones, and are self propelled using wheels.

so which would be better to get in order to crank through driveways quickly while minimizing overhead and operating costs? would having 2 people on smaller 1 stage blowers be better than 1 person with a 2 stage?

Steve
02-06-2011, 08:37 AM
How much snow fall do you get on average and what kind of driveways does your area mainly have? Are they paved or gravel?