PDA

View Full Version : Do customers notice alternative fuels?

JessyMathers
01-18-2011, 02:04 PM
I run my pickup truck on veggie oil and was wondering what you're thoughts are on if customers notice that you are a greener choice? I was thinking of putting my veggie oil decal on my back bumper but was not sure if personal views should be made mainstream to the public. I Know some people market that they run their equipment off of Bio-Diesel but does it get results? I was wondering if it gets customers talking, asking how does that guy run his truck off veggie oil, that's really cool. Might be another way to get you're services sold to them. What are your thoughts? go public or keep it private.

wellbiz
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I run my pickup truck on veggie oil and was wondering what you're thoughts are on if customers notice that you are a greener choice? I was thinking of putting my veggie oil decal on my back bumper but was not sure if personal views should be made mainstream to the public. I Know some people market that they run their equipment off of Bio-Diesel but does it get results? I was wondering if it gets customers talking, asking how does that guy run his truck off veggie oil, that's really cool. Might be another way to get you're services sold to them. What are your thoughts? go public or keep it private.

I have seen a few companies market the green approach, however usually all their equipment is green. Unless all your equipment is somehow green I would keep it private. Last thing you want to do is use this as a selling point only to show up and unload your mower that runs on gasoline and pours out black smoke:eek: Exaggeration of course, but you get the point. I think this is possibly a lucrative niche as there are not alot of green lawn care companies out there yet.

Jay

CHEESE2009
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
problem....

How with this effect your productivity vs using gas powered equipment?

If your productivity is decreased, you will have to charge more in order to survive.

gas = cheaper in our line of work, give or take

If customers don't hire you because your too expensive, or you simply cannot take on more due to the drop in productivity, stay with gas.

A better example;
http://www.sustainableisgood.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/08/reel_mower.jpg
a Reel Mower vs a Gas Mower....

You simply cannot run a business and survive with a reel mower.

Example 2;

Shovels vs Tractors.......... You can bang out a driveway in an hour with a shovel, when a tractor can do 10 or more per hour.

ANYWAY, I'm rambling. I have yet to know if your machines are capable of performing as well as gas equipment. This is just my opinion to those who it may assist and should not come as an assumption that I know which of the two may be better.

I hope to hear more on this, we've talked about this last year I believe? I wish I remembered how that went.

I believe it was battery powered equipment vs gasoline. Gas won.

JessyMathers
01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey,

Just my vehicle is powered by veggie oil can't really run any of my equipment off of veggie oil as there's little equipment that is diesel and it also cost more to buy diesel machines. My veggie oil is free that's why I do it of course I pick up used oil from restaurants. Thanks for the reply's.

Hedgemaster
01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Next to the "Veggie Powered" sticker you could place another one that says, "Screw the Earth, I'm Doing it for the FREE FUEL!"

You know... that whole "truth in advertising" thing. LOL

Steve
01-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Anything you can do to differentiate your business from others is a good thing. Why not experiment with your marketing and say that 100% of your trucks are run on veggie oil.

Tell the customer how you are trying to burn cleaner fuel.

Maybe look into ways to have cleaner burning equipment? As you experiment with your marketing, if it brings in more customers, scale it up and do more with it.

You never know what will work until you try.

I would think, with this kind of marketing angle, you can't go wrong.

picframer
01-19-2011, 04:57 AM
I find where I live, even though we tout ourselves as being the "Greenest" city in Canada, some clients might a little, most don't. There are even fine's here for letting your vehicle idle in some area's, mainly schools and day care's. I run bio diesel in the garden tractors, tractors and excavators, it isn't much cheaper if at all and requires more maintenance, doesn't run well in the cold temps.

Steve
01-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Andy,

Do you feel as a marketing angle, touting yourself as green would work in certain geographic areas better than others or would it simply be better to find another way to differentiate yourself from competitors?

picframer
01-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Andy,

Do you feel as a marketing angle, touting yourself as green would work in certain geographic areas better than others or would it simply be better to find another way to differentiate yourself from competitors?

When it comes to marketing anything is worth trying, in the past things that I thought would probably not work were a hit with clients and prospects. Going Green has taken some hard hits however I believe it is a great thing to market.

Steve
01-21-2011, 01:30 AM
in the past things that I thought would probably not work were a hit with clients

It's amazing how that goes isn't it?

I'd love to hear what you tried and didn't think would work that ultimately did work.