PDA

View Full Version : Hello All / Noob here!

griffinm
01-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Greetings from WV!

I have a nephew that is showing a budding entrepreneurial spirit, and I have some resources, so we are looking to get started in the lawn care business. He has the time and motivation, I have some business acumen, so we figured this would be a great way for us both to bond, get him established, have some fun and aggravation, and hopefully show some profits. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have most everything we need to get started with a few exceptions, and we can pick those up quickly. However, I do have some concerns regarding insurance required and what is the best way to pay employees, W-2 or 1099?

Growing Green
01-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. If you search for insurance or go and do the lawn school you will find a WEALTH of knowledge on this. If you are going to be doing residential then probabley 500k of liability insurance will be good, but most all commercial requires at least 1 million liability. This insurance is an absolute must.

As for employees, I'm still a one man shop so can't help you out on that one. Plenty of people here will be able to help you though.

This is a great group of guys that are always willing to help.

Matt

Steve
01-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Welcome to our forum!

I do have some concerns regarding insurance required and what is the best way to pay employees, W-2 or 1099?

If they are employees, you have to treat them as such and go with the w-2. We see lawn care business owners try to get away with considering them to be independent contractors but that will most certainly cause you problems with the employee and the irs.

What are you next plans to get your business up and running?

950thomas
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
there is no way u can get away with a 1099 because they use your equip

griffinm
01-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know about the employee pay. I'm just trying to figure out what is customary. I am currently working on my business plan. I have some time before the season starts here.

Steve
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
What other things are you now working on as part of your business plan?