PDA

View Full Version : Does Lawn Aeration Sell?

JessyMathers
01-18-2011, 12:53 AM
New to lawn maintenance have been doing asphalt sealing, crack repairs, and line painting for 1 season so far to pay my way through university. I found this site through YouTube and have used it for marketing ideas even though we are in completely different areas of property maintenance. I have been thinking of purchasing a lawn aerator for the upcoming season and was wondering if there is a good market for it. I live in Belleville, Ontario, Canada so the season is relatively short and I have few working months to make my money for the year. I have no problem with door to door sales or marketing I was just wondering what a realistic figure would be for going door to door selling aeration in a day. I would not be seeding or fertilizing just aeration. I'm trying to decide if this is a worthwhile investment for my upcoming year.

JessyMathers
01-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Let me rephrase this I'm just looking for how many customers you can expect to pick up a day just from door to door sales.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
01-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the problem is that most of us use nature's lawn products witch has a natural more correct way to go about aerating the soil. So you probably wont find much help on the expectations of door to door sales for lawn aerating.

If you would like more info on the nature's lawn stuff ask or do a search on this site. Lots of info.

wellbiz
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
New to lawn maintenance have been doing asphalt sealing, crack repairs, and line painting for 1 season so far to pay my way through university. I found this site through YouTube and have used it for marketing ideas even though we are in completely different areas of property maintenance. I have been thinking of purchasing a lawn aerator for the upcoming season and was wondering if there is a good market for it. I live in Belleville, Ontario, Canada so the season is relatively short and I have few working months to make my money for the year. I have no problem with door to door sales or marketing I was just wondering what a realistic figure would be for going door to door selling aeration in a day. I would not be seeding or fertilizing just aeration. I'm trying to decide if this is a worthwhile investment for my upcoming year.

I cant quote on your sucess with door to door because everyone and every area is different. In my part of the country aeration is still a popular service, but it is seasonal. Typically I schedule most of my clients for a spring and late summer service. Unless you have a large clientele you are probably better off scheduling them all for the same one or two days and renting a machine. A good new aerator can set you back over $2000. It is on my short list of equipment to buy however.

Door to door marketing works really good the day you are out performing the service. I cant count the number of neighbors who come out and request the service when I am aerating a clients lawn. I like to pick a Friday or Saturday when I do the service as alot of neighbors are home and your chances of picking up additional work is alot easier.

I cant comment on the Natures way products or services as I dont have any first hand experience.

Jay

Steve
01-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Have you been comparing offering lawn aeration to other services? I'd like to hear what else you are considering besides lawn aeration.

Most of the times it seems this is a very limited service that may be sold once or twice a year to your lawn care customers but I don't think it would be a bg money maker. It would be just one more add on.